X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Commander preview...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...ml?sid=6148537
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Supreme Commander preview...

This looks really promising. There is certainly plenty of room and then some to develop very creative strategie. However, it will be interesting to see how tactics will actually play out or if, as some of the screenshots seem to suggest, you just mass your units and throw them at an enemy position.

Comment

I think Sawyer's a lot less interested in tactics than he is strategy; it's nice to see that from a very popular game designer, but to be fair we got that in other games too before Supreme Commander.

Doesn't lessen my anticipation, though; this is the Total Annhiliation guy, and I can't wait to see what his game turns out like. The navy battles in particular look nice.

Comment

I read that I few days ago. That game looks like it's gonna be awesome.

The lack of tactics may be a good thing when playing a game on such a huge scale. Would you really want to micromanage that many units during a battle? And what if you more than one battle is going on at once on different parts of the map? That would be a nightmare to manage, but that's why you plan out everything beforehand. Get all of your units in position on the map and then let 'em duke it out. If you have the right units in the right place then you should win without having to direct individual units/battalions/squads.

I do wish that smaller RTS games had a bit more tactics. Battle for Middle Earth II claimed to have some. You could get all your units into a good formation (with some work) and then have them move in formation reasonably well, but as soon as the battle starts the formation breaks and things start going downhill. Flanking didn't make much difference in that game either. You had to keep the opponent busy smashing something else to flank them anyway. The moment you get close they all turn to face you and they just form a big wall. Then it's just like any other boring old RTS. Does anyone know of any RTS games with good tactics? I've heard the Total War series is pretty good.
        AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

The total war series is excellent at tactics and formations, as well as morale and flanking. Second best, in my opinion, is the Act of War series, especially the standalone expansion - High Treason. Check them out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X