Galactic Civilzations II: Dread Lords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galactic Civilzations II: Dread Lords

Havnt played to many Turn Based Strategy games, but im really interested in giving this a try.

Like to get some community input on it so... How is it?

Chewy: i was paraphrasomg
    [19:01] Chewy: KAMER |
    [19:01] Chewy: i love you | Drake_Anra : I only have a problem when Kamer talks... /// Chewy : That's very much a universal problem, Drake. :D

Re: Galactic Civilzations II: Dread Lords

Late to this thread, but I bought it yesterday. So far so good, but I haven't played much. Anyone else?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I bought it some time ago, and played it extensively. Great fun if you're into games like the Civ series, and, you know, space ships and such :D
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Have it, love it, spend far too much time in the shipyard.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Cool.. What game settings do you find give the best gameplay? I'm talking mapsize, difficulty, and other settings.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I really thought I'd love this game (enjoyed the hell outta GalCiv 1). But even with all the improvements, I just couldn't get into it. Nothing wrong with it... I guess I just wasn't in the mood for a civ/empire game.

Definitely recommended if you're in the mood for such a thing. It's a very impressive game regardless of my ho-hum enjoyment. I'll keep it and hopefully it'll be more appealing some other time.

Comment

I found this game in the discount bin last night and installed it to putz around. I'll need to find some time to pick up all of the gameplay, but one quick question, how do you colonize a planet???

I created the ships to do so, take them to a planet but can't figure out how. Does the planet have to better than (0) to colonize? If so, damn, 90% of the planets on this board are (0).
              "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
              EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
              PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

Yeah, memory serving it has to be >1 to colonize, and you do so by bringing a ship with the colony module (defauly colonize ship) onto the planet.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Ok, then I'm doing it correctly, only there are next to no planets on this board >1
                  "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
                  EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
                  PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

Yeah, seemed to me that you'd often have 1 or 2 total planets in each solar system able to colonize.

I used to play custom setups and increase it.

Comment

Originally posted by Banyan View Post
                      Ok, then I'm doing it correctly, only there are next to no planets on this board >1
                      Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                      Yeah, seemed to me that you'd often have 1 or 2 total planets in each solar system able to colonize.

I used to play custom setups and increase it.
                      I'm not sure if you're playing a custom game, but if memory serves me, if you're on the campaign, finding colonizable planets will be much easier after about 5-6 missions. Unfortunately, the enemies get harder and their vessels can be sometimes overpowering (to say the least).

Oh and like SoaSE, be prepared to play missions that stretch well beyond 3 hours. Unfortunately, I never did finish it (even with a heavy handed mod advantage for the last last few missions). It just got too long for me (think I was on 3rd to last mission with 6+ hours of play time).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X