Starcraft Battle.net error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starcraft Battle.net error

I've been trying to get Starcraft to work on Battle.net, but I have a strange problem. No matter what CD-key I reinstall with, it always tells me that my key was intended for another product. Any suggestions?

Re: Starcraft Battle.net error

You can spawn copies of Starcraft, right? Try that.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
      You can spawn copies of Starcraft, right? Try that.
      I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means. Install it multiple times? AFAIK that's impossible. Run multiple instances of it? I don't see how that could help. Copy the disc? I've tried two copies of Starcraft and Broodwar, with no change.

Comment

I'm not sure if Tycho was attempting to make a joke or not...either way it doesn't make sense.
        -Zephyr
        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
        We are not a single game.
        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

A spawn is a classification of Starcraft install. A spawn install, I think, allows you to play in LAN games but not host them. Whatever the case, it's a limited-rights install by some measure.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Still no luck. A spawn install does not allow you to install Brood War on top of it.

As a side note, spawn installs are a really cool idea for LAN parties and I wish more games had that.

Edit: Now that I look at it, it almost seems like I'm doing a spawn install of Broodwar, which should be impossible. I can't host LAN games (they appear on my friend's lists for about half a second before disappearing)
            Last edited by Yoshi MCF; 05-08-2006, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I think at this point you might want to contact Blizzard tech support. You might be able to have them give you a new key, or at least have them "reactivate" the old one.

Comment

I don't have my original key anymore, I lost it a while ago. My friends have all had lots of luck just using random numbers - once they get a key that the offline installer accepts, theirs works. I've tried with probably 10 or 20 sets of random numbers that are accepted by the offline Starcraft installer over the last 2 days, and they all have the exact same problem.

Blizzard's tech support says that this may be a temporary problem, but it also says it should only last 15 minutes to an hour. Also, it says you may be temporarily restricted from B.net for Repeated attempts to use an invalid CD-Key. I actually think I was temporarily banned because for a while US East gave me a "The connection to Battle.net was interrupted" error for an hour or two earlier this afternoon instead of the "intended for another product" error. However, the other servers still gave me the "intended for another product" message.

I was hoping I could do this without going and spending $20 on a game from 1997 that I already have, but that seems to be the only option at this point. Besides that, I've heard horrible things about Blizzard's tech support and customer service, so I feel like paying just to get the tech support would be a complete waste.

Thanks everyone for your help, and let me know if you think of anything else it might be.

Comment

I have had this problem with my copy of Starcraft since I bought it. No attempt to fix it has worked and Blizzard has been completely unhelpful. SOL.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                    I have had this problem with my copy of Starcraft since I bought it. No attempt to fix it has worked and Blizzard has been completely unhelpful. SOL.
                    Well, that settles the question of if I should go and get a copy of it. However, it seems that Wyzcrak got an alternate B.net server going, and all I really care about is playing with TGers :D.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Comment

If you ever decide to play on B.Net proper, I'm staring at my Starcraft CD key right here. I don't have my Brood War key, but if all you need is the original you can have mine.

Comment

That's incredibly nice of you, Tycho, but I couldn't take it from you. Thanks anyway. Besides, I have the same problem as Steeler, and no CD key will get this to work.

BTW Brood war uses the same key as Starcraft - it doesn't require its own.

Comment

you would really give ur cd key away?!?!? cuz i really need one. i have been playing sc since it came out, and now that i got new comp, i dont have my cd key... my sis lost case to game, which had cd key on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffers93
                            you would really give ur cd key away?!?!? cuz i really need one. i have been playing sc since it came out, and now that i got new comp, i dont have my cd key... my sis lost case to game, which had cd key on it.
                            Are you a regular TG member? Welcome to the TacticalGamer forums!
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah I'd give my CD key away but not to some guy who seems to have registered on these forums just to get it :D

Hit me up again in a few weeks or months or something so I know you're not just after my precious, precious key.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X