Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warhammer: Mark of Chaos

http://www.markofchaos.com/
    Just went gold and slated for release on 11/14. Looking forward to a fantasy army management game. I dont think there has been one since that Bungie game which I cant remember the name of.
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Re: Warhammer: Mark of Chaos

Two words for you:

"DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN"

And not just any dynamic campaign, but MULTIPLAYER dynamic campaign; like Falcon 4.0 :)

Comment

Originally posted by BaneII View Post
      [url]that Bungie game which I cant remember the name of.
      Myth. Great game and pretty difficult. I remember it being pretty spooky too (Nothing like exploding zombies coming out of no where).

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
        Myth. Great game and pretty difficult. I remember it being pretty spooky too (Nothing like exploding zombies coming out of no where).
        Yes, that was the game. Thanks, aculle.

Warhammer:Mark of Chaos demo released today. The demo weighs in at 1Gb, so it's gonna be a long download if you arent a subscriber.
        3DGamers
        FilePlanet
        GamersHell
        Worthplaying
        Last edited by BaneII; 11-03-2006, 04:20 PM.
        -33rd- BaneII
        Smokers & Jokers

Comment

I just got done sampling the game... WOW! Is all I gotta say. Problem is it requires a heck of a lot of power to play. I dumbed down everything to medium and lowest resolution, still got laggy - typical for this kind of game.

What's so INTERESTING about this game is the RPG element. You actually have characters you can improve with stat/skill-sheets. Not only THAT, but u can buy these characters and ur units upgraded equipment in towns, etc. U can even buy potions and what-not.

This game really encompasses the full gambit of what it'd be like to lead a fantasy Army. I like the fact it focuses on combat and somewhat leaves the turn-based element out.

The idea is a pure Campaign-oriented adventure with non-stop battles and army management.

As said before though, the creme de la creme of this is the Coop Dynamic Campaign, which I believe will probably take a solid 6/3 cable connection and SLI to run effectively I'm sure. :(

Anyways, give it a shot... I cant even really describe it in a post, you'll see for yourself.

Comment

I like. :) I'll definitely pick this one up. Multiplayer should be very interesting.
            -33rd- BaneII
            Smokers & Jokers

Comment

I dont know how big the resource requirements will be. Turns out the game resets the video options to perform better on its own. I was set to high but I reloaded the game later and everything was already on medium. The larger battles certainly slow down with a p4 3.0, 2 gig ram and x850pro setup on medium.
              This game reminds me a lot of Kingdom Under Fire where you customize your army and heroes as you progress through the game. Even the strategic map is very similar. The only difference is that KUF is a 3rd person hackandslash/RTS. This certainly isnt a bad thing as I enjoyed KUF a lot. I may look into this though I dont know if I will have time.
              Last edited by aculle01; 11-04-2006, 12:25 PM.

Comment

To me, the absolute BIGGEST problem with the RTS genre is the amount of computer-power they require.

There are some extremely well put together games out there that still have yet to be used fully by the masses due to the fact most people wont have the hardware to enjoy them. The Total War series is a prime example.

It seems like every time there's a Hardware advancement a new RTS comes out to take advantage. At least with FPS or RPG u can dumb down the graphics and still maintain usefulness. With an RTS u just lose all ability to do much of anything (cant scroll, zoom, see, u lose field of view, etc.).. even when u dumb it down.

We're at that "cusp" though where if you've got the power then u can truly enjoy a game with full real-time army management, with massive units. Anyways, this game seemed a lot of fun... loved the voice-overs and cutscenes.

I just wish I could fully enjoy it. I'm running a duelie AMD 2Ghz (4Gz) with 1.2 gig ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro. Brought me to its knees. Why dont games support duel procs anymore??

Comment

Just finished and I enjoyed it. Somethings did bother me however. First, the inability to change your mind during the character level up process. I dont want to be locked into a skill as soon as I click it. There needs to be an undo feature available until you click ok and exit out of the window. Though not overally important to the gameplay, an option to change the game speed while playing a level would help instead of having to wait while I double back. Lastly, and certainly nothing to do with actual gameplay but visual. When upgrading armor and weapons and other skills I wouldnt mind seeing the actual changes on the troops/heroes. Its not anything important but I always like to see the changes and different loadouts, its part of the rpg experience for me.

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
                    Just finished and I enjoyed it. Somethings did bother me however. First, the inability to change your mind during the character level up process. I dont want to be locked into a skill as soon as I click it. There needs to be an undo feature available until you click ok and exit out of the window.
                    You just have to do it the old fashioned way, save the game before you make any changes. Although I admit that the benefit of adding an additional skill point was not always obvious. It needs to be shown what the next level will provide.

I had no problem running the game on high video. My rig is an Intel D 805 2.66Ghz dual core, with 2GB RAM, and an NVIDIA 7600GT. Now I dont know how it would perform in larger battles, but those in the demo did not slow me down.
                    -33rd- BaneII
                    Smokers & Jokers

Comment

**EDIT**

Found a helpful link with lots of extra info the Manual doesn't quite explain.
                      http://www.markofchaos.com/forums/vi...er=asc&start=0

**END EDIT**

Just finished up the Chaos side of the single-player campaign. Loved the storyline...but a couple gripes. Most are centered around the side of evil because that's all I've taken time to play so far.

First thing I did when I installed was check for updates. It took forever to download and install, but I figured there was a good reason for a patch.

Started the campaign to ease myself into how the units work, then did a couple games vs. AI to try out other stuff. Annoying to have to set up a LAN game in order to play vs. computer, but no big deal there.

Characters are good, but not as overpowered as I heard they were during the beta. In beta, a maxed-out Daemon Prince could take on an entire army of footsoldiers and win. This is no longer the case...and I like it that way.

Magic- Love magic...love, love, love it. Glad to see they made it a part of the game. I'm a huge fan of the sorcerer abilities and use them almost to the point of exclusivity.

Unit selection is great...being able to pick a variety of units and play different facets of the same army (such as Undivided, Khorne, or Nurgle) lends some extra tweakage that I felt was missing from the Rome TW game.

Artillery units and missile troopers no longer have limited ammo. I HATED this in Rome TW. Max out a unit of elite Egyptian archers, just to have them run out of ammo when you really need 'em just plain sucked.
                      Artillery is now a constant threat instead of just the first few opening maneuvers...so taking them out is a much higher priority during gameplay.

Goblins! As an all-goblin player in the tabletop game, I was thrilled to be able to create an all-goblin army. Rumors during beta were that there would only be the generic "goblin" fodder unit and it was iffy as to whether or not you'd be able to field them yourself, or if they were only available to fight against during a specific scenario in singleplayer campaign mode.

Dislikes:

CTDs- Crashed to Desktop multiple times during the singleplayer campaign. Apparently, not all of the bugs were worked out when I patched. It's really annoying to have to restart a scenario from scratch because the game bogged down from sheer number of units.

Play CD- I installed just fine, but every time I pop in the Play CD, it still tries to go through the installation process. I have to cancel it out and double-click my desktop startup icon.

Hero Duels- Repetitive clicking of duel abilities as they recharge just doesn't do anything for me. There's no paper-rock-scissors recipe for winning a duel. Just brute force and how quickly your abilities recharge. A huge letdown for me.

Hero Abilities- You only get 4 slots for hero abilities. I've noticed that even if I don't have an ability (meaning zero skill points allocated to it) that it is still sometimes useable in-game after the hero levels up even if I allocated the earned skill points elsewhere.
                      I've also noticed that some of the super abilities don't show up in the ability slots even if points are allocated to them. From their descriptions, they must be activated and are not passive abilities that are always on. This is just plain stupid. Why the hell would I max out the lower abilities, unlock the super ones, spend points on 'em, and not even have a behind-the-scenes hotkey to be able to use them?
                      This is my biggest gripe...I am MOST displeased. Maybe I'll figure out I'm mistaken about the active-vs-passive skill type and find out it really IS always on, but for now...it is player enemy number one.

Multiplayer Army Selection bug- I noticed that some Chaos units are mislabeled and deceiving when selecting an army. Chaos Undivided was fraught with this. Chaos Knights in particular...while selecting an army, level 1 knights started 20 strong. At level 3 they were up to 60 knights! Just to double-check, I fielded 'em in-game...they showed up in the correct numbers in-game, so only the army selection is buggy.
                      Makes you wonder what else might be though.

Overall, I love the game. I can't help it. I am a tabletop fan, so seeing all the familiar units and being able to fight with 'em without having to spend a huge wad of cash and weeks of painting them makes me very happy.
                      It's the mod for Rome TW that I always wanted to see...plus a few things I hadn't thought of.

Computer Stats:

ASUS A8n-SLi Premium Mobo
                      AMD FX-53 chip
                      2 GB RAM, Dual-Channel
                      SLI-rigged Nvidia BFG GeForce 7800 w/ 256 RAM (x2)
                      SATA RAID HDs
                      Graphics settings all on Medium (High was bad for lag, but Medium still causes hiccups and CTDs)
                      Last edited by Prophaniti; 12-28-2006, 12:52 PM.
                      |TG-9th| Prophaniti

Blood and Honor, The Journal of a 9th MID Soldier

Comment

I just hate the long load times. My friend literally fell asleep one time waiting for it to load. I am on an Empire campaign but I don't play much because of the long load times.

Edit: The load times for me are like 5+min. It is really annoying especially for a game that doesn't look as good as MTW2 or CoH.
                        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Load Times arnt THAT long. The game runs great for me to, and was defaulted at the highest. i havnt made my own army yet because, it looks...pretty dam confusing.
                          |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
                          100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...