Making History: The Calm & The Storm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making History: The Calm & The Storm

Just heard about this one today since they released a demo. Another WWII scenario. The game looks pretty deep. One feature is that combat isnt always resolved in one turn. Battles can drag on multiple turns and either keep stalemating or one army finally defeats the other. This means you can keep a front up to hold off an enemy while you concentrate on other areas. Another interesting tidbit is that the developer uses this game as an educational aid for teachers, so they try to make it as accurate as possible. Check out their forums for more details if you are an educator.

http://www.making-history.com/purchase/demo.php
    IGN preview
    NY article
    Last edited by BaneII; 11-14-2006, 01:37 PM.
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Re: Making History: The Calm & The Storm

After Action Report:
    The demo is pretty short, only 20 turns. I played as Russia with the intent of strengthing my west border to hold off the European hordes and concentrate on eliminating Japan on my eastern front. Japan was busying devouring the two Chinas while I moved my military forces east. I had my eyes set on a Japanese coal mine on my border knowing that denying resource-poor Japan would be a good strategy. I spent my rounds making income on the world market by exporting my excess oil, metal, and coal. I poured my money into upgrading my defenses on the western front, upgrading my transportation system in the middle, upgrading my production, and researching new military technology. I wanted to build up a navy to prevent Japan from ferrying forces across the sea so I could slow down their reinforcements. By the 15th turn, I was ready to openly move against Japan. I took their country with the coal mine unopposed and sent my fleet to overwhelm their small flotilla off the coast of China. My bombers began demolishing their oil fields on the Japanese northern coast and my air force patrolled the seas. The two Chinas had formed an alliance in an attempt to solidify against the Japanese onslaught. They were so happy when I attacked the Japanese, that they formed an alliance with me. The Russian Alliance was formed with the intent of pushing the Japanese off mainland Asia and reuniting China. While I was happy that I got the drop on Japan, Japan wasnt finished yet. They quickly moved a very large and advanced fleet (composed of battleships and an aircraft carrier) off my coast and started to dismantle my fleet. I only escaped with two disel submarines with the rest of my ships on the seafloor. Before I could change the history of the Pacific, the game ended.

Overall, I was impressed. It's a deep game but not too complicated like Hearts of Iron. I'm looking forward to trying different strategies to see how I can alter the course of WWII.
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...