Alternative to TalonSoft’s Titles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to TalonSoft’s Titles

My first foray into strategy games involved the various turn-based military titles published by TalonSoft. These included:
    • East Front
    • West Front
    • Rising Sun
    • Divided Ground

Unfortunately, these games are all but extinct and finding updates to make them compatible with Windows XP has been more than tiresome. I wondered if anyone familiar with these titles could suggest a current release that has a similar style of play?

Re: Alternative to TalonSoft’s Titles

Matrix Games has acquired the rights to these, and should be releasing an updated set of all the Campaign Series games "soon". No idea on the cost of this as yet but they're usually very reasonable. One of the primary objectives was to make them run with no problems under XP. The forum is located at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=226

Last year they released an XP-friendly version of The Operational Art of War, another Talonsoft classic. I haven't gotten it yet but it's received many rave reviews for not only working fine with XP and patching some longstanding bugs, but also for having a noticeably stronger AI. Furthermore, they're still doing updates for it to further improve the AI and the interface. I'd imagine they'll do a good job on the Campaign Series as well.
    BF2 POE2: NC_Tarheel
    Team Fortress 2: |TG| Tarheel

Comment

I have EF, WF and RS running fine in Windows XP - no problems, and I didn't have to do anything special to make them run. Just install and go. I have heard of others having various problems though. Great games, all three.

Another game that's very close to the gameplay of those titles is Steel Panthers: World at War. Plays fine in Windows XP and is currently supported by Matrix games, with a large and active fan base. Developed by the same fellow that did the Campaign series IIRC (Grigsby?). Best of all, it's absolutely free. Check it out here:

http://www.steelpanthersonline.com/main.asp
      [volun]

Comment

Wowo thanks for this post I had the whole series then when computers got better I could'nt play it anymore.

Now this is great news another WWII battels awaite me.
        Asus|i7x970|ddr31600mhz24gb|EVGA GTX680-4gb|1200wcorsairgldatx|CreativeX-F1extrem7.1|Win764bitpro|TrackIr4Pro/ir |JoystickCHFighterstick|SaitekpedalsPro|X52ThrtlCo ntlr|G15Keybrd|32"Lcd HDMI/DVI TV|

Comment

Oh yes, the Steel Panthers are still rolling strong. I've played this series since the very beginning. SP:WaW is in my opinion the most complete ww2 tactical game ever made. The amount of polish on this game (It's been evolving for some 15+ yrs now...) is incredible! SP:Waw has so many scenarios and things to do, I still feel like I've only scrathed the surface, there seem to be no end to the scenarios and campaign games available.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X