X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C&C3 demo out now...

front page on www.fileplanet.com
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: C&C3 demo out now...

Everyplace is packed to get it.

Comment

again, *hugs fileplanet account* I had it already pre-loaded waiting for them to unlock it so im already playin...oh yea...

Comment

Can someone get this uploaded to the members downloads?

Comment

Grab it from EAlink. Requires a free account signup in the program, but you can use the cheapy e-mails to do so. Instant download, and at fairly decent speeds (I got it in about 40 minutes)
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I just got it off my newsgroup, much faster and maxes my connection.

Comment

I am pretty disappointed. I was reading posts about this on the IGN boards and my hopes were up that maybe I was wrong.

Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Supreme Commander, Act of War, etc just own this game so badly.

I will pick it up when it hits the bargain bin or as soon as it goes on 48 hr madness at go gamer.
              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
                I am pretty disappointed. I was reading posts about this on the IGN boards and my hopes were up that maybe I was wrong.

Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Supreme Commander, Act of War, etc just own this game so badly.

I will pick it up when it hits the bargain bin or as soon as it goes on 48 hr madness at go gamer.
                It's a differnet subgenre than those games that you mentioned IMO.

Those are all micro-management RTS's. It's all about dealing with limited supply, hero units, exploiting weaknesses etc.
                In short, the games you favor require using units like a scalpel, and are generally more slow paced.

C&C has always been about macro-management. Playing with sledgehammers if you will. Not worrying so much about having the right units out there with your limited supply, but getting your strategy in motion quickly and responding to what your opponent throws at you.

No unit cap, One basic resource. Most importantly, quick games. I'd be surprised if the average game lasted 25 minutes. Which means that you can pick it up, play a game, and move on in short order.

I don't play stuff like CoH online because it requires too much consideration on my part. The games are too slow for me, and I don't want to deal with having to know the 8k different strengths/weaknesses for every unit.

I prefer games like C&C over the warhammer system because it appeals to me as a casual PC gamer. I can pick it up easy, learn the basic strategy, know the basic +/- out of the box and can play quick games in my limited timeframe and not be seriously handicapped against players that memorize the infocards. Does that mean it sucks the big one? Not really, it just means that you aren't in the game's target demographic.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                  Most importantly, quick games. I'd be surprised if the average game lasted 25 minutes. Which means that you can pick it up, play a game, and move on in short order.
                  That is odd, I have always found my C&C games to last over an hour. Then again I like to take my time, build up great defenses and a big ol' army. I guess it depends on the player and the strategy. That is what makes C&C great.

Comment

Actaully I would consider Supcom a macro RTS as well. Granted an infinately deeper one.
                    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

SupCom is simply all you need at this point in your life. When the mod community picks up, it will be EVERYTHING you ever wanted. I'm not knocking C&C3, but it has nothing on SupCom in the greater RTS genre.
                      USAR

Comment

To be honest, I think supcom has some old ideas too. I don't like the fact it it makes me click-drag a mass of units and charge them at the enemy, with no real control over formation or ROE. I really like the direction relic and others have taken RTS. I am now firmly in the smaller set of units/more tactical micro camp. Just seems to make for funner games.

I think turning territory into the resource is the best innovation in this genre ever. Westwood created the havester model because it fit the storyline of Dune. They then kept it in all their games because thats what their fans (and probably the dev team) were comfortable with. Blizz copied them and we got stuck with more than a decade of resource rush strats.

I think both supcom and CNC3 are very pretty, but have very old-school ideas underneath. You are right, they are in a different sub-genre to the new-generation RTS with smaller army/squad focus.
                        Do or do not, there is no try....
                        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                          To be honest, I think supcom has some old ideas too. I don't like the fact it it makes me click-drag a mass of units and charge them at the enemy, with no real control over formation or ROE.
                          You are incorrect sir, SupCom very much has unit formations, strategic movement and coordinated automatic joint strikes. It certainly resembles a StarCraft troop production and deployments, but that way of playing will leave you behind and defeated.
                          USAR

Comment

I went back and gave it a serious, and I mean serious try. Sorry, I just don't see the features you mentioned. Queable waypoints and build queues don't == the features as you laid them out. It still feels like starcraft with pretty graphics.

The lack of simple things other games do well (why don't grouped units travel at the same speed to retain cohesion?) just breaks it for me. I'm not saying its a bad game. Its fun, and hard. Just a little too smoke and mirrors for me to consider it the be-all-end-all of RTS.
                            Do or do not, there is no try....
                            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

The one feature SupCom lacks is a comprehensive easy to understand user interface guide.

After selecting a group of units, holding down right click and tapping left click allows you to choose one of four standard formations (land/air/sea have different choices as well). Moving units in formation causes them to move in unison. Giving one group of units a way point, then selecting a separate group of units and double clicking on the first groups way point marker gives the "joint strike" option. This can be done with multiple way points or not, and is most effective when used strategically and tactically. Bombardment from artillery on a point defense, ground units from the south taking out an anti air turret for the trimming of an air offensive on another point defense for the ground assault to move forward. Changing the formation of your ground troops to abreast and moving forward as artillery reigns down and you engage.

Unit queues are in every modern RTS, this one allows you to have factories assist each other, to have queues repeated in unit selection order, and have the units have an initial order off the production line (your usual move-to, attack, guard, assist, and patrol).

SupCom is not for you, that's cool. It's was developed for the hardcore RTS fan, Chris Taylors words himself. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but I'm certainly not going to be contempt with people getting the wrong information.

This largest feature of this game, and I've said it time and time again, is its "modability". There a feature that isn't in the game you want to see? It's as simple as understanding LUA script and BAM it can happen. Want to create your own control scheme? Your own unit formations? Your own orders? Rules for units when engaged automaticaly? The ability is there, and it is encouraged.

Wow, I totally railroaded this thread. If you want tips in SupCom, PM me or join us in the SupCom thread.
                              USAR

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X