Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War --- Who plays this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War --- Who plays this?

I stick to the marines. Their weapons have sufficient cool factor, and completing the SP mode is good grounding in how to use the various units.
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I am an IG player but the last time I played and the last I heard the IG is underpowered.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Oh my I love this game. If you are on tonight April 15th then hit me up on TS or on xfire: ag11thfleet

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
          I am an IG player but the last time I played and the last I heard the IG is underpowered.
          The Guard aren't as bad as they were, at least I don't think. With 1.20 (released recently), IG buildings were buffed and garrisoning troops inside them should be a more attractive option. I havenít tested it live though so I can't say with certainty.

The IG still require a good deal more micro than other factions do but a good combination of guardsmen squads with heavy weapons squads goes a long way.

Currently, I'll play either Space Marines, IG, or Necrons depending on my mood. I'm learning Tau and chaos.
          sigpic

Comment

I wasn't around much Sunday, but I fired up my old XFire account. If anyone of you that have the game would like to team-up or even go head-to-head for a few friendly matches, feel free to add me.

XFire Handle = Braidedheadman
            sigpic

Comment

Go forth and register your interest in playing this saturday.
              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Tau were easy to play instantly seeing as, i play them in the minatures tabletop game of 40k
                |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
                100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Had some fun with this tonight. Are we going again next Saturday?
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I'd love to join, but I've misplaced my vanilla DoW disk, I can happily play Winter Assault or Dark Crusade without the disk though. I love DoW...
                    Do or do not, there is no try....
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

We were discussing builds whilst gaming.

I normally put 2 scouts out to cap, then get a second worker. Barracks is first, followed by one or two bolt turrets, then power and armoury. Somewhere along the line I get a couple of marine squads out and reinforced to full strength. I usually have a worker that goes along building listening towers and then comes back to put bolt turrets down.
                      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Sounds like a solid defensive strategy. Good for countering early rushes and economic harassment. The main trouble with early static defenses is just that; they are static. Good base defense comes while sacrificing map control, which is critical for getting a decent economy going. Most buildings are durable enough during T1 stages to take a fair beating should enemy units make it to your base. As long as you have a strong early economy, you should be able to repel any such attack with what units you’ve already fielded. Still, as some matchups are harder than others during the first few minutes, a turret protecting base assets to fall back on is not to be underestimated, especially if your enemy isn’t paying attention and wastes resources by letting his early squads get cut to ribbons.

Since I prefer mobility over static defenses, here's how I start my build with the Space Marines, in detail:

1.) Stronghold: Queue Scout Marine Squad x2, Servitor.
                        2.) Sevituer#1: Queues Chapel Barracks + Power Generator.
                        3.) Set Stronghold rally point on the nearest Strategic Point (click SH >> right click SP) so when Scout#1 is completed, it will immediately move to capture. Set a new rally point for Scout #2 once #1 is underway.
                        4.) Queue up both scouts to capture a minimum of 4 SP's each, preferably in opposite directions. Focus on SPs for the first bit as Critical Locations and Relics take too long to capture to be worthwhile during early game.
                        5.) Set SH rally point on Chapel Barracks (should be about 80-90% complete by now), Servitor #2 immediately assists Servitor #1. Group and Queue Servitors to complete power generator.
                        6.) Chapel Barracks should be done almost in the same instant as 5, be ready for it. Immediately queue Space Marine squad, Force Commander. Set Space Marine Squad production on overwatch to automatically queue SM's when adequate requisition becomes available. Allow overwatch production of only 2 additional SM squads. Be ready to turn overwatch off as soon as the third SM squad leaves the barracks (Max 3 SM squads). Set a chapel Barracks rally point on an SP not covered already by either Scout squads to get an extra body on economic development. If you planed right, you can have a scout squad take over and finish off the SP that the Marines are capturing so that they are battle-ready sooner.
                        7.) Servitors queue listening posts whenever possible; the very moment that they have adequate requisition; never allow a surplus to generate. First SM squad should already be completed with FC under production. Reinforce SM squad once and only once. Set Chapel Barracks rally point over top of first SM squad; new SM squads automatically move to link up.
                        8.) Reinforce new SM squads once and only once to start. At the first sign of trouble, set all squads, including scouts, to overwatch production of reinforcements and defend. Do not attach the Force Commander to any squads to start. He does an awesome job at tying up enemy squads in melee while your 'rines pound them from afar.
                        9.) Don't neglect your base! Your marines are capable of being left alone for the few seconds it takes to switch to your builder units to keep them on the move. Queue 2 more servitors and group to build T2 infrastructure starting with an Armory and a second power generator. Queue an Assault Marine squad as soon as the armory is complete and adequate resources are available.

There will be some differences in this build formula when playing Dark Crusade. Notably, the Force Commander is a little cheaper and arrives sooner and Assault Space Marines require 3 population units free as opposed to 2 in vanilla. Also, Servitors in DC use no population but are hard capped at a max of 4 units (I've never built more than 4 anyway) as opposed to unlimited and 1 pop per unit in vanilla. In vanilla, it pays off at some point to kill off some or all of your servitors in order to field more/stronger units. Also, one needs to research squad cap increase (to the tune of 150 requisition) at the SH before the 3rd and 4th servitors can be deployed to build base infrastructure. That one caught be by surprise a few times as I was used to not having to worry about servitors eating up squad cap.

Here's a replay file to see it all in action (sans mouse clicks, but you should be able to follow the unit movements regardless). Unzip it into your "\..\WH40K - Dawn of War\Playback" folder and load it into a skirmish game to view.

<<CLICK>>

That round was played vs an Orkish AI on "hard". I could have mopped up its base and ended the match a little earlier but I decided instead to go for 2 dreadnaughts to soak up damage from the Ork building's turrets. It paid off well in the end.
                        Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                        I'd love to join, but I've misplaced my vanilla DoW disk, I can happily play Winter Assault or Dark Crusade without the disk though. I love DoW...
                        Assuming that you don't need to reinstall, once you are all patched up you no longer need the disks to play. Relic removed the disk checking in one of their earlier patches. We were also talking about playing DoW: Dark Crusade as it contains improvements to unit deployment rules (hard caps on uber units to reduce spam and such) among other things.
                        Last edited by Braidedheadman; 04-23-2007, 09:31 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Overwatch? I must have missed something.
                          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Right click on a unit build icon or re-enforcement icon. It will begin pulsing white. Basically, you will now build one of these as soon as the queue is free and you have the available resources. Be careful with this, as it can eat all your reources if you are not careful with it.

As far as the disk free thing goes, I know thats how it's supposed to work, but it keeps asking me for a disk when I try to start it. I can play WA and DC fine without disk, just vanilla does this.
                            Do or do not, there is no try....
                            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Right click on a unit build icon or re-enforcement icon. It will begin pulsing white. Basically, you will now build one of these as soon as the queue is free and you have the available resources. Be careful with this, as it can eat all your reources if you are not careful with it.
                              Quite right. Overwatch basically allows you to spend more time micro-managing other things without having to stare at unit production queues to make sure things get built on time. This is especially useful during combat as you can have your men constantly reinforcing while you focus your efforts on directing combat maneuvers. But it does have its disadvantages, as gunjunkie said.

As far as the disk free thing goes, I know thats how it's supposed to work, but it keeps asking me for a disk when I try to start it. I can play WA and DC fine without disk, just vanilla does this.
                              :icon_eek: Wierd!

Hmmm..... Maybe it's because your vanilla is still unpatched. DC is patched up independently from vanilla, being a standalone game and all. Have you tried downloading and manually installing any of the vDoW patches?
                              sigpic

Comment

Seeing as I've missed one thing, perhaps I've missed another. Is there a way to make builder units auto-repair anything damaged near them?
                                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X