Rome: Total War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rome: Total War

Please..help...can't....sleep.....must take....Greek Capital.

Any else playing this? I'm afraid to say I'm addicted. If you haven't tried it yet, there is a demo here.
    New to TG?

Re: Rome: Total War

I'm downloading the demo now. I played Shogun:Total War and was less than impressed with the gameplay. I guess we'll see if they changed anything beyond graphics(for the units).

[edit]Well, it got better graphically. Gameplay hasn't changed that much though.[/edit]
    Last edited by Lirix; 10-04-2004, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Well, I can't get enough of this game! It just gets better and more immersive the longer I play it. This is by far the best Strategy game I've ever played.

It's late right now and I have a Greek city to conquer, so I won't go on, but if you want to read more these guys are all over it.

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/index....ewtopic&t=7737

You might have to register to go to their forums, but it's worth it.
      New to TG?

Comment

I've played both previous Total War games, and I have to say that I prefer the strategy portion more than the tactical combat (so much so that I routinely resolved battles automatically, rather than play them out). Not that the combat is bad... not by a long shot!... but with Medieval: Total War in particular, I thought the strategy gameplay was awesome.

Having tried the demo of Rome, I am further impressed with the tactical game... just incredible. But the reviews of the strategy portion sound even more exciting. For that alone I look forward to picking this up. Sadly, the multiplay doen't support the strategy game... just tactical battles (which I admit, I tend to be less adept with... hence my lower enthusiasm for it).

Comment

Originally posted by Mirfee
          I've played both previous Total War games, and I have to say that I prefer the strategy portion more than the tactical combat (so much so that I routinely resolved battles automatically, rather than play them out). Not that the combat is bad... not by a long shot!... but with Medieval: Total War in particular, I thought the strategy gameplay was awesome.

Having tried the demo of Rome, I am further impressed with the tactical game... just incredible. But the reviews of the strategy portion sound even more exciting. For that alone I look forward to picking this up. Sadly, the multiplay doen't support the strategy game... just tactical battles (which I admit, I tend to be less adept with... hence my lower enthusiasm for it).
          I tend to agree with you on this Mirf. I've played a few of the online battles and it's fun, but it's not the pixelated crack that the strategy part of the game is, which is all single player. I haven't played any of the really big battles on line though. They might be more of a challenge. The battles are a nice addition when it's part of an overall experience. For example, there's nothing better than an hour long battle where you barely beat an army twice your size. Especially when you spent another hour planning how and where to build your army, who is going to command it, how to get them there and how your going to support them after the battle, and where your next move will be. It would be awesome to play MP with it, but it would take months to get anywhere I think.

New to TG?

Comment

Well... I picked this game up last week and *I LOVE IT!* :icon4: The strategy portion is better than I'd heard and hoped for. Pixelated crack indeed!

Squid... we should try a battle sometime if you're interested.

Comment

game owns no doubt thats why i was missing from NS in last month or so.

What difficulty u playing, what nation, any of romans are too easy at medium/medium.

Im playing seluecid on med/med level and its pretty good, hard/hard level is too much at the moment.

Too bad its almost imposible to make alliances in this game, except for the romans, the 3 families scipi brutii and julii.

The game is great otherwise. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mirfee
                Well... I picked this game up last week and *I LOVE IT!* :icon4: The strategy portion is better than I'd heard and hoped for. Pixelated crack indeed!

Squid... we should try a battle sometime if you're interested.
                Sure Mirf. I gotta get my GR skilz back this week for the Hunt, but let's try and find a time to go large.

Turb...
                I played the proloque all the way out to take the Senate. And since then I've played two short campaigns as Brutii and Julii. I just started a short campaign as Carthage and it's a bit tough. You gotta have twice the numbers in a battle in order to beat the damn Romans. I haven't messed with the difficulty settings, so I'm on Med/Med. The key is to get that trading going early with as many nations as possible. Later you can turn on them :icon_cool
                New to TG?

Comment

Sounds good Squid. And I hear ya about GR practice... Cing and I have to do the same. Sometime after The Hunt, then. :icon14:

Comment

Hey Guys Its Widow,

I just bought this game last night and its awsome I have a feeling I'm gonna be at this one awhile. Suprising thing is I usaly pass on RPG's But I love this.....

Comment

Originally posted by Widowmaker
                      Suprising thing is I usaly pass on RPG's But I love this.....
                      Well, then. You should be plenty safe, seeing as this isn't a Role Playing Game. :icon25: :icon19:

Seriously, though... glad you're enjoying it! Best empire/strategy game I have *ever* played! :icon14:

Comment

Originally posted by Widowmaker
                        Hey Guys Its Widow,

I just bought this game last night and its awsome I have a feeling I'm gonna be at this one awhile. Suprising thing is I usaly pass on RPG's But I love this.....
                        Nice to see you around again Widowmaker! I think you'll like the war dogs...hehe.
                        New to TG?

Comment

OMG what a great game! it is indeed crack. I liked the battles much more than the strategy in Medieval because there were less things that bugged me about it.

The battles look brilliant in Rome. My only major gripe is that the AI always throws its generals away, both on the strat and battle sections which makes it too easy. Also you need a govornor for all your cities which is hard if your family isn't in the sack 24/7 making babies. The war dogs rock and I can't wait to see the elephants. New seige equpment is pretty cool too.
                          Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

I've been walking all over Spain and Rome with my Carthaginian Elephants. I agree once you have a basic strategy (and lots of cavalry) it's no trick at all to take most Generals down. It just makes it a challenge to use fewer and fewer troops to project further and further.... :icon_cool
                            New to TG?

Comment

Have any of you ever tried starving a city out, rather than assaulting? I have found assaulting stone walls to be very expensive in terms of troops killed so I sat and seiged a city for 6 turns. On the last turn the enemy sallied out and I masacred the majority of them as they left their gates and the rest fled back inside. Unfortuneately, when the time limit had got to "minus four minutes" I still hadn't won and I had to assault the city anyway.

Anyone else seen this bug?

Any tips for assaulting stone walls?
                              Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X