Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sins of a Solar Empire?

www.sinsofasolarempire.com

The game has been in development since 2005 and is slated to release in 02/2008.

Originally posted by Sins of a Solar Empire
    "The independent Trader Worlds must unite to defend themselves against the return of their exiled brethren - 'The Advent' and the arrival of the desperate remnants of the ancient Vasari Empire."

Sins of a Solar Empire is an innovative real-time strategy game featuring seamless transition between epic strategy and tactical combat modes, initiating what is already becoming known as the RT4X sub-genre. A galaxy of intriguing aliens, powerful starships, and colossal planets comes to life with stunning 3D graphics, unparalleled sense of scale, and a cinematic musical score. Explore and conquer nearby planets and distant solar systems by applying brute force, cunning strategy, elegant diplomacy, economic mastery, and researched technology.
    I have been keeping a close eye on this title for a while now (basically since 2005) and have a few days left to get a pre-order down so I can participate in the Beta 2 phase.

Has anyone else looked at this game? And what does everyone think of the game? Good, bad, so-so?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Sins of a Solar Empire?

Boy, it seems no one even visits this section anymore.

Anyways, I decided to pre-order yesterday, and spent a good part of this morning playing the game. Overall, I get a sense that this game surpasses even the magnitude of Homeworld 2. It feels very much like HW2, but at the same time, it does have the 4X gameplay mixed in (colonizing worlds, trade aliiances, cease-fire agreements, etc.) So far, the game is pretty nice and smooth. The decaling on the individual ships still leaves some to be desired. In addition, the games are long and even longer depending on the vastness of the galaxy you choose or are given.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Is the atmosphere similar to Homeworld?

That was one of the most memorable game I can remember. In fact I am reinstalling it right now.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

HW2 i usually play the complex mod or EX mod.

Comment

:o I didn't know there were responses to this...

Gringo,
          Yes it is very similiar to Homeworld 2 (of course I tend to think this is better than HW2).

The battles are on a much grander scale, the animations are impressive, and overall the AI can be be "tough". I don't have the greatest system resources available, but I can run the game on high settings and 1280 x 1024 resolution just fine. In some instances when I'm zoomed in all the way with 20+ capital ships and an large assortment of smaller frigates and such, my framerates do become unbearable.

Otherwise it is a strategy game worth the cost and the lengthy amount of time (can take hours to days to build up a strong empire). You can colonize planets, trade, form alliances, place bounties on your enemies (thus influencing who pirates attack), and even use "influence" to cause other domains and planets to fall into your control over time.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Looks rather nice.
            Not sure it's quite my kind of game, I'll see how I feel about it nearer the release.
            Graphics look good though.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

IGN has a new preview of the game. There's a link to it on the SINS game homepage.

Edit:

Here is the IGN Preview: http://pc.ign.com/articles/817/817282p1.html
              Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 09-08-2007, 11:00 PM.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Aaaah I can't wait for this to come out now I've seen the trailer...
                |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

It's due out Feburary 2008 (hopefully before my birthday).

If you pay for the game via TotalGaming than you'd be able to play the Beta 2 instead of having to wait until next week for the MP-only BETA 3.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

So, who wants to get this game?
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

This game looks fantastic. I'll definitely be looking to pick this one up.
                      | | |

Comment

Beta 4 was released about a week back and it added an extra race for everyone to play too. :D

I'm sure the demo is probably only about a few weeks away from release. I'm so excited! :row__577:
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Homeworld was the most epic feeling game I ever played. When attacking a mother ship you could just feel the fire power needed.

I will get this just hoping that it comes close to that experience. I am a bit leery of the 4X aspect. If it isn't incorporated correctly it might kill that epic feeling.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Play Galactic Civilizations II for a taste of what Sins of a Solar Empire will be. Same company.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              I'm sure the demo is probably only about a few weeks away from release. I'm so excited! :row__577:
                              Yays! Me's practically bouncing up and down with excitement at this game!
                              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X