Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, is this a game about fighting pirates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, is this a game about fighting pirates?

Well, I know that's not the case, but it sure seems like it sometimes. There is nothing I fear more than a pirate raid, and they seem to have the most powerful fleet in the game, particularly in the early going. Once you're targetted, you have little choice but to just watch your system get taken apart.

I realize that they added pirates to the game to add a little flavor, but right now, they seem to be taking up a very large portion of the game.. I spend most of my time trying to keep the bounty off of my head and I design my defenses around where their home planet is.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: So, is this a game about fighting pirates?

I've found the pirate fleets to be pretty weak at the beginning. First of all, none of their ships have shields. A handful of frigates and a capital ship has no problem at all taking them down. If you've got some planetary defenses set up, they should be a piece of cake. That said, they do take up time and resources, which I believe is what they're meant to do. It's a way of handicapping an empire that's getting too big for its boots. They can be a godsend when some fool has launched an invasion fleet and you've got a bunch of credits stockpiled.

What ships have you been using to counter them? What strategies have you been using? I haven't actually heard this complaint before, and I've found that except in 1v1 matches pirates add a lot of dimension to the game.

DaBrit

By Any Means
    [/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
      Well, I know that's not the case, but it sure seems like it sometimes. There is nothing I fear more than a pirate raid, and they seem to have the most powerful fleet in the game, particularly in the early going. Once you're targetted, you have little choice but to just watch your system get taken apart.

I realize that they added pirates to the game to add a little flavor, but right now, they seem to be taking up a very large portion of the game.. I spend most of my time trying to keep the bounty off of my head and I design my defenses around where their home planet is.
      Agree with ya. A few games back pirates ravaged my 1. trade world and i had my entire fleet there at the moment, though they were finishing off some enemy forces. After that i put all the friendly AIs to hit pirate bases. The carnage was lovely.

As for Pirate tactics, ive found stacking all my capships on the most likely planet to be hit, and grabbing the EXP very helpful.

|TG-Irr|JamesTerror

Comment

Simple ways to counter pirates:

1. Know where the pirates are, and what route they will likely take to get to you. Keep tabs on their forces. If you have a scout or a probe in system, you can actually watch them line up on the phase lane and prepare to jump. Once you are established, they will usually follow the same path into your territory every time, and attack the same planet.

2. Invest in planetary defenses early, particularly hangars and 1-2 gun platforms that cover close orbit in front of the phase lanes most likely to be used as an entry point by enemy forces. Remember to stock your hangars after you build them.

3. Always have a defensive fleet ready that includes at least 1 cap ship. Early on, this should be your only fleet, and it should be within 2 jumps of every planet on your frontier. Preferably 1 jump, or even better, waiting in your front line gravity well, especially if that's the path the pirates will take. Don't be intimidated by their numbers or their cruisers. They are significantly weaker than neutral planet defenders, and they really can't stand up to a dedicated defensive fleet, especially if you've spent a little money on shield/armor/weapon upgrades.

4. Invest in long-range frigates (LRM, Illuminators) early, as these represent your best offense against frigates. Keep them in a squad seperate from the rest of your fleet, and bring them up into combat after your cap ship and primary attack group have engaged.

5. Also note that sometimes the pirates will need to go through your space to get to their actual target. Most of the time you can just let them do this and they won't attack, although if you provoke or impede them they may peel off a few ships and cause trouble.

6. If you have a strong economy, you can always try to outbid your enemy on the bounty. Just remember to keep tabs on the bidding until the moment they launch.

I've never lost a planet or taken an unrecoverable fleet hit from pirates, but I have lost time and tactical advantage mopping up after them. That's really what they're there for.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with most of Steeler's post, although I tend to find it difficult to have a defensive fleet within two jumps of any planet at the rate I like to expand (which is very quickly). With a point or two in emergency facilities, there shouldn't be any problem at all keeping the rats at bay until a larger fleet can come in from somewhere else. I prefer to have two frigate bays at most of my frontier planets as well, so if they attack one planet, starting construction of a small fleet at a planet a jump away shouldn't take long at all.

The pirates will basically always just go for whichever planet is yours that is closest to their base. It's important to realize when they're just passing through, and make sure you've got your ships out of the way and set to a non-gravity-well engagement range (change it back when they're gone!)

I've honestly found the TEC's rebel ability at the end of the culture tree to be far more annoying and has cost me more planets than regular pirates. Those guys are just as strong as regular NPCs, and they come in at a random planet with a couple of kodiak's a couple of krosov's and a handful of other frigates. Not a big deal, but when your fleet is on the other side of the system, it's a serious pain in the ass, and it doesn't take 'em too long to take down an asteroid.

If you're playing games other than 1v1's, then the best strategy is to appear weak!

DaBrit

By Any Means
          [/url]

Comment

Heh. Pirate fleets are powerful in mid and late game, but that's nothing compared to the enemy team's fleet (especially if you do a 4 v 4).

Ask Amu, Ghambit, and Ainselie. We were whomped by a very massive fleet.

Try and get your allies to contribute to the bounty. You don't have to fight the bounty bidding every time if you enlist some monetary help. ;)

The whole bidding wasn't this severe in the Betas so I'm sort of at a loss as to why they upped the bidding by AIs and such as well as bringing back the large pirate fleets from Beta 2.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Tempus - I am guessing you don't like pirates. A lot of people from the Sins community agree with you and find pirates to kill the 'fun' of the game.

IronClad has released "no-pirate" maps that remove them entirely from the game. If you find pirates not to be fun, this will fix that issue. This may make the game more enjoyable/

If you find pirates interesting, but incredibly hard or "challenging" to deal with, I would agree with most of what others have written about the topic. I strongly believe that pirates can be managed/anticipated if you plan for them accordingly. An experienced player can turn the annoyance of pirates to an advantage for himself instead of a nuisance

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. So far, I've only played the 1v1 map against the computer, so I don't have the full flavor of the pirate raids as I'd have in a multi-player, but at this time I can only think that they are a nuisance and don't add much to the game. I spend most of my time just making sure I'm not the target of a raid, and oftentimes I end up being the target anyway as I will be attacking the same system as they are raiding, and get caught in the crossfire.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

More opponents often means fewer pirate raids, provided you are good at the diplomacy game. Try a medium 4 player FFA. It's a much different dynamic.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ainselie View Post
                    Tempus - I am guessing you don't like pirates. A lot of people from the Sins community agree with you and find pirates to kill the 'fun' of the game.

IronClad has released "no-pirate" maps that remove them entirely from the game. If you find pirates not to be fun, this will fix that issue. This may make the game more enjoyable/

If you find pirates interesting, but incredibly hard or "challenging" to deal with, I would agree with most of what others have written about the topic. I strongly believe that pirates can be managed/anticipated if you plan for them accordingly. An experienced player can turn the annoyance of pirates to an advantage for himself instead of a nuisance

Remember too that if your home galaxy is vulnerable, you can always destroy that pirate base near your galaxy. If you leave the rest, you can still leave your advantage mostly intact.

Has anyone tried this?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I've never had a fleet big enough to waste on trying to take out the pirate base. Once a MP game has progressed well into its 3 hour mark, the pirates usually have a very large home fleet and another sizable one that they send out to raid (and which is constantly jumping from system to system).

Maybe next weekend, we can get together, have a game, and see if we can take out those pirate bases. If not, then we'll scratch the idea off as a bad idea. :p
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Late into a game, you can also take out the pirates with a Novalith cannon, if you have one. The fleet stays in orbit and will attack anyone who jumps in, but the raids will stop.
                        sigpic

Comment

the best way to do- long range.... ;)

what does the advents pirates ability for cargoships do?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                            what does the advents pirates ability for cargoships do?
                            Karmic Retribution? Adds bounty to the player that destroys your cargo ships. I think it was 100 on lvl 1 and 200 on lvl2.
                            Last edited by JamesTerror; 03-19-2008, 06:11 AM.

|TG-Irr|JamesTerror

Comment

I justs tried a solo game with out pirates. It really changes the game dynamics.

Sarcoma
                              Sarcoma.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...