Dumb question: Should I buy this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question: Should I buy this?

I know it's ironic and silly to ask whether I should buy a game in its own forum, just to get that out of the way!

I have a couple of friends who already have it and seem to enjoy it. I am not a huge RTS fan, but I love Company of Heroes (probably over 200 hours into that), and I love space games (around 100 hours at least into X3: Reunion). Sins sounds incredibly intimidating to me though, especially considering I usually only have 4-5 hours per week to devote to gaming.

On the other hand, at only $40 bucks the game seems like a steal. Especially with the good reviews it has been getting. The guys on the Gamers With Jobs podcast can't seem to get enough of it (but they have a lot more time on their hands for gaming than I do).

Should I get this, or will I only frustrate myself?

Thanks for your advice.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: Dumb question: Should I buy this?

My experience with the game is limited, but I will say:

-- It's a good game. I love the graphics and the interface. Even the single player is fun.
    -- The games take forever in SP, and I hear that they take forever in MP as well.

That's all I've got. I'm sure the more experienced guys will chime in.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

very very good....

drawbacks:
      long multiplayer games when playing with beginners (all of us)
      unsure of others

plus:
      graphics
      smoothness of play and interface
      many, many ways of ruining your opponent
      single player is just as fun as multiplayer
      huge empires
      huge fleets that you can zoom down even to see the minute details of the ships
      runs on many computers
      built in feature almost like fraps
      an easy to run mod menu
      And many other nice things

I would say get it, but it is your call and your time.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I got it. Can't go wrong for $40. I just installed and I'm going to try to figure this thing out while my wife is out running errands.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Check me out later today if you're playing Evo. I'm in Costa Rica and MIGHT have stable internet now... if not now, then defnitely in a few days when they add some wireless repeaters. Just remember to post up in the TS channel if you're playing... or at least xfire.

And remember, the length of the game is largely under your control. A 1 system game usually takes under an hour and can end very quickly with a skilled player. Once you get used to the different ways you can set the game up you realize every fault in the game is usually a fault of your own.

AND, remember.. NOW you can play without pirates... which tend to slow the game down (unless you know how to use them). Personally, I like Pirates and use them just like a friendly fleet (great if you time your attacks with pirate raids).

Best way to learn is to play an easy 1-system map, so you dont get frustrated. Playing a small map with a lot of MP help is also a good idea. For instance, load up a 3player small FFA map and actually make it 2v1 (this is how most of us got introduced to the game). Otherwise, you get toasted and frustrated because the AI is pretty dang good in this game. (especially post-patch)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X