worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worth it?

is this game worthy of purchasing? what games can it compare to? I heard there was no multiplayer skirmish modes, is that true? what are the best and worst features of the game in your guys opinions?

Re: worth it?

It's a real-time strategy game (ex.: Command & Conquer, Supreme Commander, etc...) set in outer space that has 4X game (ex.: Civilization series, Galactic Civ., etc...) elements. It really can't be compared to anything, because I don't think there's anything quite like it out there. Gameplay is fairly slow-paced, so you don't need super-fast micro skills, but there will rarely be a time where you don't have anything to do -- between creating your fleet and waging war, trading, diplomacy, upgrading planets and ships, and research, you're never really bored.

It has both single and multi-player skirmish modes, random map generation, and pre-packaged scenarios that come with it. It lacks a single-player campaign/narrative.

I have only played online a few times, and much prefer single-player skirmishing. Games tend to take 6-9 hours for bigger ones (depending on how many planets/systems in the map).

If you are a strategy gamer, it's a must-buy. Very deep and rewarding gameplay, for the most part. If you aren't a strategy gamer, buy at your own risk.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

If you have played Homeworld 2, then SINS is a lot like it (with some obvious interface and control improvements).

If you like longer RTS games that you can play for hours with friends, dream of large space battles, or just found that HW2 wasn't expansive enough, Sins of a Solar Empire (SoaSE) is a good buy. If you get the retail and download version, you'll be able to enjoy the very nice artwork render posters included along with 2 full-color semi-glossy keymaps and technology trees.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Games do take a long time. I can usually only play one or two games at a time. Sadly no tutorial means a bit of a learning curve.

This ain't no Warcraft, it's a lot harder with no single player campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
          Sadly no tutorial means a bit of a learning curve.
          There are 4 tutorials. Go to: Single Player > Tutorials

Each one covers a aspect of the game and after you go through them all, you should be about 80% familiar with the game to play your first skirmish or multiplayer game.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yah I played those but they didn't really help. In say Warcraft the single player experience gives you piece by piece, adding more layers until you end up dealing with a full army and all the research trees.

Maybe I'll replay the tutorial levels but they didn't seem to help me much.

Comment

Well you can't expect a tutorial to be "hand holding" a player the whole time.

There's not much fun or discovery if everything is laid out before you. Besides, the person(s) who made the tutorial assume that the player has a brain, otherwise, they wouldn't have made the game to begin with.

Which is why I hate tutorials that play out as step-by-step hand holding. It's like I'm some machine that needs programming so I can use a piece of software.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Not necessarily step by step. I'd just like a single player campaign that fills in the learning curve, at least take off the edge. I'm not new to RTSs but just 4X RTSs in general, and this one still feels like it's way over my head. I'm not very familiar with the units and seeing as how long each round is, I'd really appreciate a single player experience to wet my feet in.

Comment

*shrugs* I didn't have any problem getting into the game starting out in Beta 2 even. It only took me about 15 minutes of exploration to get used to the controls and some of the features.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yah I just don't know the tech trees. And in say Warcraft 3, you find out which races are the strongest, which are the most expensive, etc.

With Sins I just feel like I'm always playing the game for the second time despite playing more than a dozen times. I understand the controls and everything but everything else is kinda meah.

Comment

The tech tree is all laid out for the player is pretty linear. You have to research one (or several items) before that unlocks a more advanced research. If you hover over a researchable item, you get a description of what that item does, etc.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I know I'm just saying. I don't like the feeling that I'm playing the game for the first time every time. I'd rather know ahead of time which way I want to spec. Different tactics on how to play, etc. :)

Comment

The game is far more RTS than it is 4x, by that I mean you can only win by the typical means of any RTS, military force. It's not like Civ 4X where's there's various victory conditions. But, I still love the game and enjoy it very much, it's cool.

Comment

yeah you still need a military force... or at the very least someone needs to be the military force while you do the culture end of the battle.

Comment

Worth it and I say totally get the expansion pack.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X