Civ V MP Realtime Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ V MP Realtime Game

I don't know about you guys but I'm disappointed with the fact that Pitboss hasn't been released yet. Civ V screams for human opponents given the relatively weak AI.

mp40x and I are wanting to start up a MP game given what is currently available. We're thinking Thursday evenings from 8:00 to 10:00 pm eastern (longer sessions if everyone is game).

Given that these are realtime sessions and we probably don't want to play if someone can't make it, a smaller number of people makes sense. With 2 of us, we're looking for about 3 more people to round out the group at 5.

Sound off here if you're interested and we'll get things rolling as soon as we have the players finalized. Map and game format and such will be decided on the fly during our first session. This should be considered an experiment so set your expectations accordingly. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Re: Civ V MP Realtime Game

Thursday are good... so count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by AFsoccer View Post
      Thursday are good... so count me in.
      Great! Just need 1 or 2 more people then and we'll be good to go.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Well I am in the same situation. (actually haven't played in a while because of the AI and no pitboss) Unfortunately, Thursday wouldn't work for me at that time, not home from work till 8 mountain, (10 eastern.) Monday tues or Wednesday would probably be better.

Are you able to save multiplayer games, and just continue another time?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellswaters View Post
          Well I am in the same situation. (actually haven't played in a while because of the AI and no pitboss) Unfortunately, Thursday wouldn't work for me at that time, not home from work till 8 mountain, (10 eastern.) Monday tues or Wednesday would probably be better.

Are you able to save multiplayer games, and just continue another time?
          Yes, I believe you can.

I think we'll stick with Thursday for right now and see how it works out. I'm hoping one or two more 6MD guys will join us shortly and we can get started. Sorry about that but scheduling real time sessions is always a pain. My fingers are still crossed we get Pitboss soon! :)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

OK. Should be able to count me in. Each week is different, but my daughter's water polo season is winding down so I think I'll be free most Thursdays for a couple hours.

Snarlin

Comment

This is an update for anyone else thinking of doing the same thing.

We had our first session yesterday (Thu Apr 7) for about 2 1/2 hours. Game format is a small map (6 players, 12 nation states) with mostly default parameters.

The host (myself) created the game and marked it as private. Note that this needed to be done when loading in a save file as well. Private games mean you need to send invites via Steam's friend list. It was also important on a re-load to invite people in the correct order so everyone would continue playing the same nations as they did originally.

As you can guess from the above, we were forced to reload once when everyone's game froze up. We did discover that having the host kill his session meant someone else became the host and the game appeared to continue normally. Of course by the time we came to that realization, half the people were out of the game already so we reloaded from scratch. It remains to be seen if the former host can return to the game and then have it proceed from there since it would be the quickest way to recover. It would be nice if we never needed to test that scenario but I suspect we'll see it again. Overall the stability of the MP was good; besides some weird oddities which didn't have any effect we only had the one serious issue. This was with 6 players.

Other than that there are a few differences from SP which most everyone is likely aware of. The lack of animations mean your units just appear in the hex you move them to after a couple of seconds. Since it is simultaneous play we'll have players take their turns in a predetermined order just like with the Pitboss games. This removes the "fastest mouse click wins" type of play. The world size we selected seems to be about right for 6 players. There was room for growth with players able to get easily 3 or so cities down. Our group was fairly civilized so no early early wars but we were close enough where that could easily have happened. Current turn is 83 (800 BC).

Bernout
              Last edited by Bernout; 04-09-2011, 01:03 AM.

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Yep the MP aspect of Civ really put a hurting on the release. It's a great game but MP is what people want today. I hope you guys have a good game at least for this small group. It's fun but wish they came out of the gate running with MP.

- -

Comment

Apologies Snarlin & Son couldn't get to the game last night (04/14/2011). We can go tonight (04/15/2011) ...but will need to push a bit past 7:00Central. If we can start between 7:30-8:00 central we can probably go tonight for 2 or more hours since it's Friday.

Snarlin

Comment

We got session #2 completed last Friday. It ran for about 2 1/2 hours and we made it to 960 AD (turn 158).

The only problem we encountered was a connection loss for one household (2 players in it). This happened 3 times and I can only assume must have been something specific to their ISP. The only problem with getting them back into the game is the server automatically reloaded the start of the current turn as each player came back in. A side effect of this is Barbarians did not appear to do their turn as they normally would.

The map size we are playing on IMO is about perfect. Everyone ended up with room for 3 decent cities which doesn't seem like much but the game would take far too long otherwise. The only bummer is that we ended up on 2 continents which do not share coastal tiles so are completely independent for a good chunk of the game. What's worse is we got 4 players on one and only 2 on the other. If we do another game I think we'd do a map which allowed interaction amongst all 6 nations right from the start (Pangea perhaps).

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Session #3 completed without any network hiccups at all. We made it to 1320 AD (Turn 192).

Things are starting to slow down because most of the continent where 4 of us are at is now at war and the other continent just finished their war with 1 person being eliminated. I love the 1 unit per tile mechanism but it does make it a lot more complicated to move units around. Being ganged up on 2 to 1 isn't even bothering me a whole lot since it's interesting to see how it plays out. Taking out cities controlled by humans is definitely tougher so I have at least a chance to fight these guys off.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

One issue im having with MP games is that with 4 players turn times start to really slow down. I don't know if its the players or the setup, which is 6 computers + 4 humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Avs View Post
                          One issue im having with MP games is that with 4 players turn times start to really slow down. I don't know if its the players or the setup, which is 6 computers + 4 humans.
                          How did you get 6 AI? The MP games we set up only allowed humans. Besides which, everything I've read points to MP AI being next to useless.

Our little experiment has ended. Real life prevented all of us from being able to get online together. All of this was really a teaser given how much better the game is when playing against other players. We need Pitboss! ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

New to this but is there a play be email option?

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
                              New to this but is there a play be email option?
                              I don't believe so. Apparently an upcoming patch will introduce hotseat MP.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...