Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot (GMR)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot (GMR)

Ok. We've all been waiting for Pitboss for a loooong time. As it turns out, some people got creative and put together a way to play hotseat as painlessly as possible. Apparently it works through Steam so no email transfers are necessary and you even get turn reminders and can have the AI fill in for vacations or missed turns (due to a timer expiring).

Here's the link at CivFanatics:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=455596

So...for the disadvantage of longer games you do have the advantage of not having to worry about turn sequencing during wars. ;) I kind of like that idea and am willing to give it a try.

But I am headed out of town this coming weekend so won't be able to organize a game until I get back. For this first run I'm thinking standard Civ 5 with around 6 players but will bump that up if there is enough interest here at TG.

If you're interested in playing then please sound off. Feel free as well to discuss game format. And if you're really ambitious then don't hesitate to organize a game and run with it. :)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Re: Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot (GMR)

I would be interested and will take a look at it tonight. I stopped playing Civ 5 awhile ago since there was no pitboss on the horizon and will imagine I will take a beating but sounds like fun.

Count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashenhart View Post
      I would be interested and will take a look at it tonight. I stopped playing Civ 5 awhile ago since there was no pitboss on the horizon and will imagine I will take a beating but sounds like fun.
      Join the club. ;) I haven't played since our last MP experiment which was eons ago and even then I think I had only completed one SP game.

Took a quick look at the GMR web site and they have hosted over 800 games already. Also, the Civ V MP forum at CivFanatics is way more active with game postings similar to the Pitboss days. These are all good signs. :D

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I'd be up for this experiment. :)

Comment

Whats pitboss?

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
            I'd be up for this experiment. :)
            Pitboss stands for PTBS or persistent turn based server. So one person hosted a server and players could connect to it at any time to do their turns. Usually we used a 24 hour timer. Look at the past games in this forum and you'll see the ones that were hosted on a TG server.

The only wrinkle we always had was when nations were at war. In that situation you really wanted more of a turn based approach to keep it fair. Otherwise you got the opportunity for controversial double turns. :)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I just looked at the site and watched the tutorial. Looks very intuitive and easy to use. Anyone care to test it out with me?

Comment

I just looked at the site and watched the tutorial. Looks very intuitive and easy to use. Anyone care to test it out with me?
                It does look pretty simple. I may have time tonight in between trip prep stuff. :). Shouldn't take very long to start up a game and go through a couple of turns.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

We had a successful testing of GMR tonight. Fairly easy to setup and run. Look forward to getting a game started. Thanks Bernout for taking the time to test it out with me!

Comment

We had a successful testing of GMR tonight. Fairly easy to setup and run. Look forward to getting a game started. Thanks Bernout for taking the time to test it out with me!
                    That went pretty smooth. :)

Anyone who is interested in playing should sound off here with their Steam ID and get signed in at multiplayerrobot.com. I'd recommend getting their desktop app installed although you can get email notifications as well.

I'd also like to propose the idea of a 12 hr timer. The ramification is you'd need to be able to do a turn within a 12 hr period of time; likely first thing in the morning or after work for most of us. I know that's aggressive but let me know if you can make it work. The fallback would likely be a 24 hr timer. This kind of reinforces how long a game could potentially take. Say 6 people with a 24 hr timer means a 6 day turnaround for a single turn worst case. Compare that to our Pitboss days where it was 1 turn per day worst case and our large games took 9 - 12 months to complete. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I'm in. All set up at GMR.

draeh
                      STEAM_0:0:16551018

Comment

Ok, I'm back and ready to roll. :)

Here's what I'm thinking for the game parameters. Most of them are defaults; ones which aren't are marked in italics.

Map Type: Pangaea
                        Map Size: Small (up to 6 players) City-States: 12
                        Game Pace: Standard
                        Game Era: Ancient Era
                        World Age: 4 Billion Years
                        Temperature: Temperate
                        Rainfall: Normal
                        Sea Level: Medium
                        Resources: Standard

All Victory Types.

Advanced Game Options:
                        • Allow Policy Saving
                        • Allow Promotion Saving
                        • Enable Turn Timer (12 hours)
                        • Random Personalities

DLC Allowed:
                        None

Oh yes, in addition to the 12 hour timer (barring any objections), I'd like to do random civs as well.

Current player list is myself, Ashenhart and Draeh. I'll send some PMs tonight and see if I can drum up at least a couple more players. Remember to provide your Steam ID if you want to play. Room for 3 more!

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Sweet!! All sounds good... only thing that I thought was a bit odd in the interface is when a person goes over in the timer. It just disabled the timer and gave the organizer the right to kick after so many days. I didn't anything about AI taking over for that person. Did you find anything about that Bernout?

Comment

Sweet!! All sounds good... only thing that I thought was a bit odd in the interface is when a person goes over in the timer. It just disabled the timer and gave the organizer the right to kick after so many days. I didn't anything about AI taking over for that person. Did you find anything about that Bernout?
                            Nope. I thought it automatically had the AI do the turn at that point. I guess we'll find out. ;)

Even in setting up a hotseat game in Civ, the turn timer seemed a bit weird because nowhere did I see a spot to enter a timer value. Will need to play a bit more with that.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Forgot to mention that we should probably just use the default Prince level.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...