• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [BNW Pitboss] Just One More Turn - Signups

TG BNW: Just One More Turn (JOMT)

Game Starts on Monday, April 28, 2014

The Goal

Our first try at Pitboss for Civ 5, aka BttF, was a bust. A bug in the automatic turn sequencing for players at war was discovered if the game had to be restored from an autosave. That was bad. However, there were a lot of positive things so this time around we'll do manual war sequencing just like we used to do.

We'll also do a full sign up process so new players may join if they wish. Players from BttF who join will have the option of playing once more with their nation from that game but otherwise it'll be random nation assignments.

You will need the Brave New World (BNW) expansion.

Please read the remainder of this post in its entirety.

Expectations and Rules

This game will last months. If you don't have the patience to stick with the game until it ends then this is not the game for you.

TG's gaming philosophy will be in full effect. We'll deal with problems as they arise. All issues are expected to be raised in a timely manner, no more than 1 turn after it happened.

The TG web site, especially this forum and private messaging (PM), are going to be the main means for players to discuss the game. Please check them on a regular basis once the game starts and remember that diplomacy is highly encouraged!

Manual Turn Sequencing For Players At War

With simultaneous turns it is possible to do back to back turns and get an unfair advantage over an opponent. Since enforcing this automatically is not an option, it means we need to do it ourselves. Some guidelines:
    • Once a state of war is active or participants change, the players involved should confirm the order with each other. There will be only 24 hours for everyone to get their turn in so if more than 2 players are involved try to minimize the sequencing.
    • If you are later in the sequence try to give the other players at least half the clock (12 hours) if at all possible.
    • Players who move first should do so ASAP and as a courtesy email or PM the other player(s) when they are finished their turn.
    • All players at war who hit the end turn button should consider their turn finished; i.e. NO changes afterwards of any kind.

Leaves of Absence

Please let us all know if you are going to be away for an extended period of time. If you disappear for a week or more than you risk having your nation being turned over to AI control while you are gone.

Game Format

Victory

All victory types will be enabled. BUT...the reality is that I have yet to see one actually used. Multiplayer games usually end via player consensus and usually after lots of fighting. Don't neglect your defenses! ;)

Settings:
    • City States - Default based on Map Size
    • Map Type: Continents
    • Map Size: Depends on # of Players
    • Game Pace: Normal
    • Game Era: Ancient
    • Turn Mode: Hybrid (warring players take turns sequentially)
    • World Age: 4 Billion Years
    • Temperature: Temperate
    • Rainfall: Normal
    • Sea Level: Medium
    • Resources: Standard

Game Options Enabled:
    • Enable Turn Timer - 24 hours
    • Pitboss

Nation Assignments

Nations and their leaders will be assigned randomly. Players from BttF may choose their nation from that game if they wish.

Difficulty Level

The difficulty level being used is Prince.

Server Connection Instructions

Configure your turn notification settings.

Start Civilization 5.
    From the Main Menu, select Options, then select Multiplayer Options.
    Fill out the options in the Pitboss Turn Notification box. Recommend using email turn notifications because they can be seen anywhere you have email access.
    Example Options using a Gmail account
    Steam Invite: No
    Email: Yes
    Email Address: [email protected]
    Click Accept.

Join the Pitboss game.

Internet Pitboss games can be joined thru the Internet Pitboss Games screen. Goto Main Menu->Multiplayer->Pitboss->Internet.
    Private games will be joined by typing in the game's IP address into the Connect to IP Address option and hitting ENTER. The option is located at the bottom of the screen.

At game start:

Unless an exception has been made, Do NOT adjust any player settings including nation (Random Leader) and difficulty (Prince).
    Ready up by clicking the Ready Status checkbox for the local player.
    You can now exit the game. You will be given a turn notification when the game has started. Note that the turn timer remains at 0 until all players have done their turn.

After game start:

Ready up by clicking the Ready Status checkbox for the local player.
    You should be able to play your turn normally, at which point you can disconnect when you are done.
    Note: if a save has been loaded on the server, you will need to end your turn again even if you had already done it.

The IP address will be given out via private message at game start. Apparently there is no password protection on the server so this is an easy precaution to take.

End Game

The end of the game will be determined either by player vote or by an in game victory condition being met. In the case of the vote, the following procedure is to be followed:

1. A vote to end the game may be called by any player but may not be called within 30 days of the previous vote (if any).

2. The vote will be held in these forums for a period of 1 week. Every attempt will be made to get a yes or no vote from each player but in the event a player can not be reached it shall be counted as a 'yes' vote.

3. At the end of the week, if a yes vote results in the game ending then the player with the highest score at that time will be the winner unless they concede the victory to someone else.

The game will start on Monday, April 28 at approximately 2:00 pm GMT (10:00 am EST). You may sign up at any point before game start.

The game/server supports 12 players. If more than 12 people sign up, priority will be given to BttF players, then TG supporting members, then to TG account members who have signed up themselves, followed by everyone else. Anyone not given a starting position is encouraged to be a substitute.

To reserve a spot, please reply to this topic with:
    • Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic:
    • Civ5/Steam Player Name:
    • Time Zone:
    • BttF Player (Y/N) + Nation

|TG-MD6|

Re: [BNW Pitboss] Just One More Turn - Signups

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic: Read and understood
    Civ5/Steam Player Name: |TG-MD6| Bernout
    Time Zone: MDT (GMT - 6)
    BttF Player (Y/N) + Nation: Y - India

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic: Read and understood
      Civ5/Steam Player Name: |TG18| dreah
      Time Zone: EDT (GMT - 5)
      BttF Player (Y/N) + Nation: Y - Brazil

Comment

Civ5/Steam Player Name: da_Vinci
        Time Zone: USA Eastern Daylight/Standard Time (depends on season) (GMT - 5)
        BttF Player (Y/N) + Nation: Y - Germany, and I'd like to stick with it.

We could implement the automatic war sequence concept in a manual way. We could give the war players each 24 hours to play in our manual scheme. I thought that was not a bad idea, and we never seemed to use much more than one day overall anyway.

While we wait for 4/28 start, let's investigate whether a roll now gets to normal, and if T35 and T30 are also screwed in the old game. If no new players sign up, and we find that say T36 is working, we'd have the option between staring new and resuming old ... unless the idea is that this error would repeat with every server reboot, in which case might as well start over. But we do have six days to study the problem, which has my curiosity up.

dV

Comment

Originally posted by da_Vinci View Post
          We could implement the automatic war sequence concept in a manual way. We could give the war players each 24 hours to play in our manual scheme. I thought that was not a bad idea, and we never seemed to use much more than one day overall anyway.
          I'm not sure how that would work since I don't see a way to pause the timer or anything like that. In any case, it would still be a manual process of manipulating the clock continuously which doesn't seem practical.

While we wait for 4/28 start, let's investigate whether a roll now gets to normal, and if T35 and T30 are also screwed in the old game. If no new players sign up, and we find that say T36 is working, we'd have the option between staring new and resuming old ... unless the idea is that this error would repeat with every server reboot, in which case might as well start over. But we do have six days to study the problem, which has my curiosity up.
          I'll load up turn 35 as a last and final test tonight but I draw the line there. ;) Let's take any additional BttF discussion to the other topic please.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Civ5/Steam Player Name: elkingmorgan
            Time Zone: EDT (GMT )
            BttF Player (Y/N) + Nation: Y - Venice

I do not wish to be Venice again.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan View Post
              I do not wish to be Venice again.
              ^^^ - What he said... except about Brazil.

When we start over, I don't mind those that liked their Civs to retain them, but allow the rest of us another shot at redemption with a random pick (if possible).

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                ^^^ - What he said... except about Brazil.

When we start over, I don't mind those that liked their Civs to retain them, but allow the rest of us another shot at redemption with a random pick (if possible).
                I am happy with Germany, but I also like Poland, America, Japan, England, Russia, Rome, just to name a few.

I would mostly want to keep Germany to continue the strategy I had already started, but I could go with another.

Maybe we all list our favorite five or so nations, in order, and we do a highest possible match approach (I do that with student topic selections all the time, so I could do it for us if we wish).

dV

Comment

Civ5/Steam Player Name: Ashenhart
                  Time Zone: CDT (GMT - 6)
                  BttF Player (Y/N) + Nation: Y - Shoshone

Comment

Just to be clear, everyone who was in the BF game may play the same nation again if they wish. This selection is done when you log into the game server for the first time. So it's a choice of either selecting your previous nation or leaving it at the default random nation assignment.

Current Player List (5/12):

Bernout
                    draeh
                    da_Vinci
                    Morgan
                    Ashenhart

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Originally posted by Bernout View Post
                      Just to be clear, everyone who was in the BF game may play the same nation again if they wish. This selection is done when you log into the game server for the first time. So it's a choice of either selecting your previous nation or leaving it at the default random nation assignment.

Current Player List (5/12):

Bernout
                      draeh
                      da_Vinci
                      Morgan
                      Ashenhart
                      Ah, sounds like the only option is random, unless you have a prior civ to default to.

If I remember right, in CIv 4 couldn't you pick a set of nations for the game, and either randomly allocate players to that set or let them pick their choices? Maybe I am remembering wrong. Seems that CIv 5 doesn't have that option?

I guess everyone will keep their old nation, just to guarantee not being Venice, and Morgan wlll have to roll the dice again. Maybe the Civ gods think Venice is a fair handicap for him. ;)

dV

Comment

Civ5/Steam Player Name: Olo (steam account: valimyr81)
                        Time Zone: GMT + 1
                        BttF Player (Y/N) + Nation: Y - England

Comment

Civ5/Steam Player Name: Snarlin
                          Time Zone: CST
                          BttF Player (Y/N) + Nation: America

Comment

Civ5/Steam Player Name: |TG-MD6| mp40x
                            Time Zone: EST
                            BttF Player (Y/N) + Nation: Y - Poland
                            |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Last call for players for this game! All are welcome. :) A reminder the game starts on Monday.

Current Player List (8/12):

Bernout
                              draeh
                              da_Vinci
                              Morgan
                              Ashenhart
                              Olo
                              Snarlin
                              mp40x

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Connect