New Pitboss Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pitboss Game

I'm gearing up to host a Pitboss (PTBS - persistent turn based server) game and would like to get a feel for how much interest there is in TG for it. In particular I need to know:

Do you have Warlords?
    Do you have Beyond The Sword (BTS)?
    Would you be willing to try the ViSa mod for vanilla Civ 4?

I'll post details later under a sign up thread but the main intent would be:
    • Accelerated start using Himachi. This would be one time 2 hour session just to get us past the slow starting period. Everyone could meet on a TS2 channel. Himachi is desired because it eliminates a lot of the networking issues that pop up when trying to get a larger number of people playing Civ 4 at the same time.
    • 24 hour timer. I'd expect the game to run 3+ months with a 1-2 week break sometime during the Christmas holidays.
    • Use of CivStats to track server status.
    • No pre-game alliances and only a single winner in the end.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Re: New Pitboss Game

I'd be up for it! I have both expansions and would be willing to try the ViSa mod, or any other flavor, for that matter.

I'd only request that we try to play for longer than 2 hours to begin with. We tried that before, and we quit too early in the game for it to really be interesting, I think.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
      I'd be up for it! I have both expansions and would be willing to try the ViSa mod, or any other flavor, for that matter.
      I love the enthusiasm! :D

I'd only request that we try to play for longer than 2 hours to begin with. We tried that before, and we quit too early in the game for it to really be interesting, I think.
      Really? What was the main issue? 2 hours I would think should be plenty to get us through the ancient age and come into contact with our neighbors.

My main concern with going longer is that the simultaneous nature of the turns makes combat in particular a bit more problematic. The goal after all isn't to play a simultaneous real time strategy game where players are racing to try to move their units ahead of someone else. The goal is to play a turn based strategy game and the simultaneous nature of the server is there as a convenience to help players complete a turn as quickly as possible.

In other words, I'd like people to have some time to think about their turns and we'd have some game rules in effect where players wouldn't do anything to take advantage of the simultaneous nature of the server. This applies especially to a player doing a double move on someone. It also happens to fit in nicely with TG's gaming philosophy.

This game is going to last months. If someone doesn't have the patience or interest to play the game to completion then they are better off not playing. At least that's my take on it. :) I've run I think 3 games under another gaming community and this has never been an issue.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Count me in. I have all expansions and the ViSa mod.

Snarlin

Comment

Originally posted by Bernout View Post
          Really? What was the main issue? 2 hours I would think should be plenty to get us through the ancient age and come into contact with our neighbors.
          The problem was that we just didn't get far enough. Most of us only had two or three cities and when we switched to the daily turns it was a bit boring.

As I, and others, need to plan my gaming in advance, I just thought that planning for, say, a four hour block of time to jumpstart the game would be better, and then we can quit whenever we think the game has progressed far enough to begin daily turns. Just an idea...
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

As I, and others, need to plan my gaming in advance, I just thought that planning for, say, a four hour block of time to jumpstart the game would be better, and then we can quit whenever we think the game has progressed far enough to begin daily turns. Just an idea...
            We could certainly make that work. Although I'm still a bit skeptical that anyone who got bored when they had 2 or 3 cities is going to like the 24 hour timer at all. No matter how long a jump start we do, the game is going to continue for quite a while. And that means 1 turn a day at the worst case. ;)

But first things first, we need more people sounding off with interest in playing. :)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I would also like to be included in this pitboss game. I have warlords and the visa mod, but not the BTS expansion. However, if the BTS expansion is needed I would definately be willing to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by larsonator View Post
                I would also like to be included in this pitboss game. I have warlords and the visa mod, but not the BTS expansion. However, if the BTS expansion is needed I would definately be willing to pick it up.
                Sounds good. :)

To be honest, I'm really leaning towards doing Warlords. ViSa would be a "first" so I'm not sure if we will have problems or not and BTS sounds like it needs a couple of good patches to get the bugs and balance issues resolved.

Sounds like 4 of us so far. I'll keep trying to round up more 6MD guys and hopefully some more TG players are interested.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Just a quick note that this topic is NOT dead. ;) The 6MD crew just finished a team game not too long ago so I'm not in an incredibly big hurry to start a new game.

If you are interested in playing then please sound off. Be sure to read the rest of the messages in this topic though so you have an idea of what you are getting into. Worst case is 1 turn per day and the game will run months.

If I need to I'll go spam the other Civ 4 community forums and drag any interested parties into the TG fold to play. :D

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I'm still up for it, I just need to know when we're going to "seed" the game and see if I can make it!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I'm still up for it, I just need to know when we're going to "seed" the game and see if I can make it!
                      Sounds good. I'm going to post a first draft of the game sign up before the end of the week.

How about we target Sat. Oct 20 @ 2:00 pm EST (6:00 pm GMT). Duration would be 2 hours (we'd chat at the end of it about doing another live session).

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Originally posted by Bernout View Post
                        Sounds good. I'm going to post a first draft of the game sign up before the end of the week.

How about we target Sat. Oct 20 @ 2:00 pm EST (6:00 pm GMT). Duration would be 2 hours (we'd chat at the end of it about doing another live session).

Bernout
                        I might be back from a trip I'm taking. I'm not sure yet. I'll either get back late on the 19th or late on the 20th.
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I might be back from a trip I'm taking. I'm not sure yet. I'll either get back late on the 19th or late on the 20th.
                          Ok...lets tentatively start with that date and once we know who wants to play we can work on a final date.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I'm game for BTS :/

Comment

I will be out Nov-2 thru Nov 9th. Deer season. Would probably be able to take a turn/day during that time, but wouldn't be availble to do a seed session during that week.

Snarlin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X