PTBS Warlords: A City Too Far - Signup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTBS Warlords: A City Too Far - Signup

My thanks to those who have been patiently waiting for the game to start. Please read the following sections carefully and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

The Goal

Civ 4 is one of the best strategy games out there and how much better can it get than to play against other TG members? :) The goal is of course to have fun and make the game accessible to as many casual gamers as possible. If this game goes well I'd like to do a Beyond The Sword (BTS) one next.

The persistent turn based server (PTBS) allows everyone to play their turns any time during a 24 hour timer. This is convenient for those members who are busy with real life but don't mind taking a small bit of time every day to play their turn.

In order to get past the ancient era and quickly get to the fun and more interesting part of the game, we will have a single 2 hour real time session where everyone meets on line. More on this later.

Expectations

This game will last months. If you don't have the patience to stick with the game until it ends then this is not the game for you.

It is also a good idea, if possible, to have someone outside of the game who can back you up in the event of an extended absence. Letting the timer expire or turning your nation over to the AI temporarily are always options. Note that turning your nation over to another player in the game is not allowed.

TG's gaming philosophy will be in full effect. The simultaneous nature of the server means the game isn't truly turn based. It is possible to take back to back turns and gain an unfair advantage over another player. Rather than come up with a long list of rules all players will be expected to avoid these type of situations to the best of their ability and we'll deal with problems as they arise. All issues are expected to be raised in a timely manner (no more than 1 turn after it happened) and will be resolved by player consensus.

The TG web site, especially this forum and private messaging, are going to be the main means for players to discuss the game. Please check them on a regular basis once the game starts.

No preset alliances please. Note as well that there can only be one winner.

You will need the following:

Game Start

We will be using Himachi to do a 2 hour real time session in order to kick start the game. The game will officially start when the server goes online 24 hours prior to this scheduled session.

The real time session itself is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, October 20 @ 2:00 pm EDT (6:00 pm GMT). This may change in order to accommodate as many players as possible. Players who can not attend the session will have their nations controlled by the AI.

To sign up for the game, please reply to this message with the following information:
    • Your nation and leader.
    • Timezone.
    • Can you make the session on Oct 20? Oct 26? Oct 27? If tentative on any of these dates, when will you know for sure?

Game Format

Tech Brokering

Technology trading will be allowed but only on techs that you have researched yourself. Honor system.

Victory

All victory types will be enabled. BUT...the reality is that I have yet to see one actually used. Multiplayer games usually end via player consensus.

Settings:
    • Map: Fractal
    • Size: Standard (unless we get 8+ players)
    • Climate: Temperate
    • Sea Level: Random
    • Era: Ancient
    • Speed: Normal
    • World Wrap: Cylindrical
    • Resources: Standard

Game Options Enabled:
    • City Flipping after Conquest
    • No Barbarians
    • No Tribal Villages

Player List
    Last edited by Bernout; 02-27-2008, 12:35 AM.

|TG-MD6|

Re: PTBS Warlords: A City Too Far - Signup

Snarlin. Signing up.

Your nation and leader: Vikings. Ragnar.
    Timezone: CST. (Houston)
    Can you make the session on Oct 20?: Yes. 95% sure.
    Can you make the session on Oct 26?: No. Definitely not.
    Can you make the session on Oct 27?: No. Definitely not.

Comment

* Your nation and leader. Ottoman: Mehmed II
      * Timezone. CDT (Dallas)
      * Can you make the session on Oct 20? Oct 26? Oct 27? If tentative on any of these dates, when will you know for sure? I should be back on the 19th, assuming none of my flights are delayed. I might be working 8am to 4pm on the 20th, though. The 26th and 27th should be no problem at all.

I'm confused on the Hamachi thing, though. We haven't been very successful in getting Hamachi games to run for everyone the last few times we tried. We did have a Pitboss game going that worked for everyone. Is this supposed to be a Pitboss game or a Hamachi game?
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        I'm confused on the Hamachi thing, though. We haven't been very successful in getting Hamachi games to run for everyone the last few times we tried. We did have a Pitboss game going that worked for everyone. Is this supposed to be a Pitboss game or a Hamachi game?
        Himachi (which is free btw) is only used to set up a private LAN. So in effect we are accessing the Pitboss server through this LAN. We'll only do this for the 2 hour real time session since past experience has shown that the Civ 4 networking code is very unreliable once you get past 4 or so people connected to the server at the same time. I think we tried once with 8 people trying to hit the server at once and never did get the session started.

After the real time session we'll connect to the Pitboss server normally. It's not a problem then because you rarely will have more than 1 or 2 people on at the same time.

Hmm...I wanted to edit the player list in my first message but apparently that's not an option for me anymore. Bummer.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

We can have TG host the Pitboss game, so that we are connected to it from the beginning.
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

We can have TG host the Pitboss game, so that we are connected to it from the beginning.
            I don't see how having TG host the game will make any difference? The problem isn't with the host but the way the Civ 4 code handles the networking between the clients.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

But with a Pitboss game, I thought that the clients don't connect to each other, they all connect to the server?
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

But with a Pitboss game, I thought that the clients don't connect to each other, they all connect to the server?
                Nope, that's the root of the problem. My understanding is it uses peer to peer networking as opposed to a true client - server model. So when you connect to the server it actually creates the connection through the person who connected before you thus bringing in all sorts of firewall issues. So assuming you can connect at all, we found that inevitably you get out of synchronization errors popping up after a while which force people to have to reconnect.

Again, we'll only use Himachi the one time and for those who haven't tried it before I think you'll find it to be pretty easy. You get a "room" to connect to and then a LAN IP in which to hit the Pitboss server and away you go.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I'd like to join.

Times: I can make 20th, and most other weekend days.

Leader: Don't really mind - Elizabeth, Rameses, De Gaulle or Stalin. Or Random.

Comment

Yeah, we've used Hamachi a lot here. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't...

I'm game to try anything, though! I'm jonesing for a good game of Civ...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Your nation and leader: Alex of the Greek
                      Timezone: MST. (Utah)
                      Can you make the session on Oct 20?: Yes.
                      Can you make the session on Oct 26?: Yes.
                      Can you make the session on Oct 27?: Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Hoplosternum View Post
                        I'd like to join.

Times: I can make 20th, and most other weekend days.

Leader: Don't really mind - Elizabeth, Rameses, De Gaulle or Stalin. Or Random.
                        Welcome! :D

Just let me know what you end up deciding for a leader. Everyone gets their choice but I'm happy to set you up with a random one if you like.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Yeah, we've used Hamachi a lot here. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't...

I'm game to try anything, though! I'm jonesing for a good game of Civ...
                          Roger that bud. I'd like to touch base with you on the problems you've encountered with Himachi but we can take that private.

What I'll do is get a test server set up along with a Himachi LAN and then everyone can test their connectivity before the live session. Perhaps that will help to pinpoint the problems we might encounter.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

A reminder to everyone to please read the first message thoroughly if you haven't already. Signups will continue until at least the 17th.

Player List (5)

Bernout (Wang Kon, Korea)
                            CingularDuality (Mehmed II, Ottoman)
                            Hoplosternum (TBD)
                            prometheus23 (Alexander, Greece)
                            Snarlin (Ragnar, Viking)

|TG-MD6|

Comment

If you still have room I'll play as Asoka.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X