TG BTS: The Gathering Storm
The game has now been started.
This is the 2nd game being hosted by the 6th Marine Division (|TG-MD6|) at TG. This time around Bernout will again be doing the admin role but TG is providing the Beyond The Sword (BTS) server.
As with the first game, the goal is to have fun playing one of the best strategy computer games! :D The server will have a 24 hour turn timer which makes the game accessible to casual gamers plus is friendly to players in all time zones. Players new to Civ4 or Civ4 multiplayer are welcome and encouraged to sign up and enjoy the experience!
Please read the remainder of this post in its entirety.
Expectations and Rules
This game will last months. If you don't have the patience to stick with the game until it ends then this is not the game for you.
It is a good idea, if possible, to have someone outside of the game who can substitute for you in the event of an extended absence. Letting the timer expire or turning your nation over to the AI temporarily are always options. Note that no player, including substitutes, are allowed to do turns for more than one nation! Also, if you are going to disappear for longer than a couple of days, letting the timer expire in the process, please let everyone know so nothing unexpected is done with your nation while you are away.
TG's gaming philosophy will be in full effect. The simultaneous nature of the server means the game isn't truly turn based. It is possible to take back to back turns and gain an unfair advantage over another player, especially during a war. Rather than come up with a long list of rules all players will be expected to avoid these type of situations to the best of their ability and we'll deal with problems as they arise. All issues are expected to be raised in a timely manner, no more than 1 turn after it happened, and will be resolved by player consensus.
The TG web site, especially this forum and private messaging (PM), are going to be the main means for players to discuss the game. Please check them on a regular basis once the game starts and remember that diplomacy is highly encouraged! A player list will be created once the game starts so that it is easy to send a PM to someone.
No preset alliances please. Note as well that there can only be one winner no matter what alliances are formed during the game.
You will need official BTS patch 3.13. Note that you will not be able to connect to the server if you have Bhruic's unofficial 3.13 patch installed.
We will be using CivStats so that players can monitor the server status. Email notification will also be supported. More information will be provided upon game start.
In order to get off to a faster start, without needing to do a realtime session, we will be using the Advanced Start feature with 600 gold available to be used.
Some important points:
- Please practice, practice, and practice using the Advanced Start feature prior to game start! How you start off your nation could have a big impact on how well you do in the game. If you want advice, have questions, or want to share ideas with other players then don't hesitate to start up a new topic in the forums if one doesn't already exist.
- A Reference Guide is available which provides the cost of everything you can do.
- We will not be doing restarts like originally planned so this emphasizes the need to read the reference guide and practice doing Advanced Starts. You need to get it right the first time! Some actions, such as increasing a city's population, can be undone by hitting the right mouse button. Also, once you place your capital city you must finish your setup; leaving the game will automatically end the setup process.
- This goes without saying, but if you are aware of exploits which give you an unfair advantage, then do not use them! ;)
Players will be assigned player numbers based on an alphabetical list of TG account names. Nations and their leaders will be assigned randomly.
The default difficulty level being used is Prince. This is one level higher than Noble. If you are a newer player to Civ 4 or Civ 4 MP and would like to start at the easier level then please make that clear in your signup. Players who have won a multiplayer game or play single player at Prince level or higher are asked to stay at the default.
- Map: Fractal
- Size: Large (unless we get more than 12 players in which case Huge will be used)
- Climate: Temperate
- Sea Level: Medium
- Era: Ancient
- Speed: Normal
- World Wrap: Cylindrical
- Resources: Standard
- Advanced Start
- City Razing
- City Flipping From Culture
- City Flipping After Conquest
- No Barbarians
- Normal Religions
- Technology Trading
- No Technology Brokering
- No Permanent Alliances
- No Require Complete Kills
- No Vassal States
- No Tribal Villages
- Random Events
- Space Race
- Simultaneous Turns
- Take Over AI
- Turn Timer - 24 hours (approx. 28 hours of real time at game start)
- Advanced Start Base Points: 600
The end of the game will be determined either by player vote or by an in game victory condition being met. In the case of the vote, the following procedure is to be followed:
1. A vote to end the game may be called by any player but may not be called within 30 days of the previous vote (if any).
2. The vote will be held in these forums for a period of 1 week. Every attempt will be made to get a yes or no vote from each player but in the event a player can not be reached it shall be counted as a 'yes' vote.
3. At the end of the week, if a yes vote results in the game ending then the player with the highest score at that time will be the winner unless they concede the victory to someone else.
The game will start on Saturday, March 29 at approximately 5:00 pm GMT (1:00 pm EST). You may sign up at any point before game start once this topic is unlocked on March 15.
The server supports 18 players. If more than 18 people sign up, priority will be given to TG supporting members. Anyone not given a starting position is encouraged to be a substitute. Note that in the first game (A City Too Far), we had at least 3 people substitute who then took over the nation for the rest of the game!
To reserve a spot, please reply to this topic with:
- Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic
- Civ4 Player Name:
- Difficulty Level: Noble or Prince (if Noble, please provide a brief description of your Civ4 experience)
- Time Zone:
The list will be updated as responses come in. Supporting members are listed in bold. 18 of 18 spots are filled.