X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote to end TG BTS: The Gathering Storm

Start Vote: Sat, Jan 10
    End Vote: Sat, Jan 17

All remaining players in the TGS game are asked to vote.

At this point in time Niklas is making some severe gains against Shaq so we're looking at a serious power shift in the game. Also, at least 2 people (namliaM, BrainDamage) have not done turns for at least a week. I've left PMs with them to check their status.

Bernout
    Yes.
    66.67%
    No.
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

|TG-MD6|

Re: Vote to end TG BTS: The Gathering Storm

without namliam I don't think we have a chance... the balance of power is too off without him. So I vote to end.

Comment

I vote to end as well as you might expect :)

Shaqs fall has made things worse but Niklas has had approximately the production of everyone else put together for a long time now. He has an awesome defensive position and Shaq (previously) and Munro/Elkad have shown you can hold off a larger and more technically advanced enemy for a long time. Even a mass coalition of everyone vs Niklas would almost certainly fail (though the game would then last much, much longer) due to the power of late game defence and the safe position of his core cities. He is in a good position for a Culture or Space win even if being battered by us all.

I can supply the production charts for those who can't see them. Niklas has almost twice the production capacity that I have and almost 8 times that of anyone else. This is approximately the same as the position a couple of months ago.

I am happy to carry on but this game is not really close and has not been for a while now. I think we are only half way through turn wise :)

Comment

I'd like to continue. I'm pretty confident we could find a sub for namliaM if he's not going to be back anytime soon, and a 'whole world' versus Niklas would be a really interesting end game scenario. :)

And with absolutely no offence intended to Niklas (who I consider one of the best players out there - and what he's achieved against Shaq is truly impressive).. Honestly I think we could pull it off too. :p

Comment

Thanks Munro - no offence taken of course. :)

I'm torn. On the one hand I'm having fun, and I'm starting to feel for the game and nation I've taken over. So I certainly don't mind continuing.

But I don't see many end scenarios, with or without namliaM around (though if we do continue, he should be replaced, I can think of several possible candidates). I do see more than one though. It's a classic game dilemma really.

If nothing disruptive happens to the game, only two nations have a chance to win this, me and Hoplo. Unlike Hoplo I don't rate his chances all that low, he's ahead of me in tech and researching at a good clip, and his culture exceeds mine by quite a margin. And that's his (and everyone else's) curse really.
          1) The only way I can be taken down is if everyone else, including Hoplo, attacks me. I have no doubt I would go down then, even if it would hurt everyone else too.
          2) Conversely, if I were to attack Hoplo, then I would find myself at war with the entire world, and see point 1 for outcome. So I have a strong incentive not to attack him, which would (at least in theory) give him a chance to win undisturbed.
          3) But, if Hoplo were to join in an attack on me, his largest rival to victory would go down. But at the same time the only thing that stands between him and being ganged up on by everyone has also gone down. So by attacking me, he would actually decrease his own chances to win, even if mine would decrease even more.

So with the above in mind, I just don't see a war between me and Hoplo happening, since we both have more to lose than to win from it. And I doubt we'll do it out of the charity of our hearts to everyone else in the game, to give you all a fair chance. ;)

With all that in mind - I vote to continue. It's up to the rest of you to say that it's no fun anymore, 'cause so far I'm enjoying my stay. :p

Comment

I vote to end it (if it means starting a new game.)

It seems impossible to beat Greece at this point.

Also, I'd like to congratulate Niklas on a well planned attack. It was a bit like Normandie. The attack didn't come from the most likely place. :P

That and the fact that I gambled quite a bit! I had barely built any new units since my last war (with Twahn). Instead I was just building production increasing infrastructure and other improvements in every city, hoping that the war would wait until I had the armor and flight techs and then I'd planned to start massproducing. We had a real good techtrading alliance going.

You certainly attacked at the right moment. As Hoplo pointed out my last war with Twahn was stuck in a deadlock for weeks.

Comment

I am happy to stand down and let someone else play my position if you are all determined to play on in some mass world war.

I don't think an attack on Greece has any hope of success at this stage and it will simply make the game last a lot longer.

I tried to win this game for a long time. I was always weaker than Greece militarily but if I could have taken out either Munro or Namlia, or even simply got all of AFSoccers cities - but he gave them away - I would have had a reasonable shot at Culture or Space. I helped his enemies with techs and resources. But I messed up my recent attacks and Levgre's raiding hurt me a lot while Greece has enjoyed long periods of peace (or at least not being attacked).

I can't win now unless everyone else sacrifices themselves to help make me win. And even then it doesn't look likely. And quite frankly winning like that would be so lame I would rather not be part of it.

Comment

With 4 against 3 (4 counting Levgree who didn't put down a forum vote yet) and only Bernout plus inactives left to vote (that will all default to Yes), it seems like we're about to reach a decision to end the game. So be it. It was fun, thanks for letting me join. :)

Originally posted by Shaq Zora View Post
                Also, I'd like to congratulate Niklas on a well planned attack. It was a bit like Normandie. The attack didn't come from the most likely place. :P
                Thanks! :) And um, yeah, that was the point. :D

That and the fact that I gambled quite a bit! I had barely built any new units since my last war (with Twahn). Instead I was just building production increasing infrastructure and other improvements in every city, hoping that the war would wait until I had the armor and flight techs and then I'd planned to start massproducing. We had a real good techtrading alliance going.
                ... all of which I was well aware of. I had city visibility with you through my espionage so I saw you building your Factories and Levees, and having next to no units south of New York. And I noted your (and the others') rapid tech progression, and I realized I had to commit before you reached Flight. Having the information advantage was really key here.

I'd like to say you fought well, but in all honesty I can't really tell, you were (are) in an impossible position and I was (am) simply too superior, so there was (is) really nothing you could (can) do. I can say though that I doubt anyone else would have done it better. ;)

So when will the next game start? :)

Comment

I voted to end the game.

My Civ is on a little island and my two opponents turned their Civs over to the AI long ago.

If I wanted to play the AI, there are faster ways to do that : )

Brain

Comment

Originally posted by Niklas View Post
                    With 4 against 3 (4 counting Levgree who didn't put down a forum vote yet) and only Bernout plus inactives left to vote (that will all default to Yes), it seems like we're about to reach a decision to end the game. So be it. It was fun, thanks for letting me join. :)
                    Well, it does seem to be leaning that way but nothing is official until the 17th. Anyone can change their votes before then just by posting here.

As it stands right now, I'm not counting Mixa's vote since his nation has been AI controlled for almost 2 1/2 months now. ;) However, Levgree's current vote is yes so we're at 5 - 3 with only namliaM left to vote. Since namliaM is key at least for Levgree's vote I'd really like to hear on where he stands.

Personally I don't mind continuing but it has been a somewhat subdued game for me after Levgree gave me an early game schooling. lol I agree with Hop about being skeptical that all of us could make a serious impact against Niklas without Hop's support and then we'd just be helping Hop win. Since the fun is often times in the journey and not the destination that could still be fun but my ability to contribute would be minimal in any case.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

namliam have not played in any of his games for several days...

Comment

I retired... I could cause some damage by drafting away all my cities and slaving artillery, but it's not worth the micro-management and time for me.

Comment

Seeing how I have little wish to fight AIs, and that I've achieved the objective I set myself (conquering Persia), I might as well change my vote to a Yes. So when does the next game start? :)

Comment

yes...yes...yes......When does the next game start?

Comment

Yep, with Shaq gone, Levgree now AI, and namliaM severely AWOL we may as well call this game a done deal at this point and make it official.

I'll be taking down the server for good sometime on Saturday. Unless something drastic happens to the points, Niklas/Twahn should be the points leader and the victor (unless they concede to someone else).

A huge thanks to everyone who played in the game, both the original players and those who came in as substitutes! :icon14:

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...