X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TTT Apr 22 Vote: End the game?

Originally posted by Bernout View Post
    I don't know if this addresses exactly the point that you and daV were trying to make but I thought it was worth explaining the philosophy of the current system anyhow. And as I also mentioned earlier, in this case even were the game to end I'd be willing to keep the server up for those 2 or 3 teams that wanted to battle on. Everyone else would be free to keep playing or turn their nation over permanently to the AI.
    The one problem with this otherwise reasonable approach is that the game chances for the non-leaders may well depend on having cooperative humans in the "hopeless" positions ... for tech or gold trades, border openings or closings, and other maneuvers that help the pursuers and slow down the leaders.

I suspect that the winning chances for the teams in second and third may depend a lot on whether AI or human runs other teams.

Example ... the only weapon I have left is war weariness, and motherland yearnings. If nik/oyz want the war to end, they will have to get my last city. If I flip to AI, peace would ensue with tribute, I am sure. That time spent chasing me down is probably important to the second and third teams.

As far as fun goes ... yes, when you lose a big battle that is not fun, but for me, I define a new strategy (strategic retreat, scorched earth, or just die hard) and then the fun comes in being able to execute that new strategy ... even though that success will not bring victory.

Like in golf ... when you drive into the woods, all you can do is make the best shot from the woods that you can. You don't walk off the course ...

And I learn more from adversity than success usually.

Not that everyone has to think or feel this way, but just expressing how I cope with in-game adversity.

dV

Comment

I have voted yes because i have 2 cities left, i cannot win the game or even make a difference or a contribution to a difference.

I can see why people want to play on and good luck to them, however my time is at an end, there certainly is life left in this game, just not for the US of A.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan View Post
        I have voted yes because i have 2 cities left ...
        Uh ... we need to talk ... lol

dV

Comment

Originally posted by da_Vinci View Post
          Example ... the only weapon I have left is war weariness, and motherland yearnings. If nik/oyz want the war to end, they will have to get my last city. If I flip to AI, peace would ensue with tribute, I am sure. That time spent chasing me down is probably important to the second and third teams.

As far as fun goes ... yes, when you lose a big battle that is not fun, but for me, I define a new strategy (strategic retreat, scorched earth, or just die hard) and then the fun comes in being able to execute that new strategy ... even though that success will not bring victory.
          And you are far too good at exactly that. ;)

You're very right though, it's been a total mess to conquer you. If your nation had been played by the AI we would have won the war a long time ago - even had that AI been on tech parity with us.

Comment

Like in golf ... when you drive into the woods, all you can do is make the best shot from the woods that you can. You don't walk off the course ...
            dV
            The problem here is that this game is a lot longer than an afternoon of golf :) And many of us have already played for a long long time with no hope at all. While there is some obligation to play on even after a bad start I don't think anyone should expect you to play on for ever. And we have played for 8 months. Hardly bailing out after the first bad shot :p

And I learn more from adversity than success usually.

dV
            Ha! If this had any truth to it I would be a far better player than I am :p

If other teams think they have a chance I am happy to carry on, at least for a while.

I don't agree with Nik's earlier point. I don't think you can or should compel people to play on after they feel they have lost. Some might quit early, some later and others fight on till the end. To me that should be their choice. But no one forces us to play and no one should. Finishing a round of golf is fine and the sporting thing to do. Being expected to come back week after week for a one sided thrashing is something else....

I think the voting is working and is a reasonable way to end the game. In this case it looks like enough people want to carry on which is fine and how it is meant to be when the game is still undecided. I think there should be some way to call a game before the bitter end and this seems a reasonable way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoplosternum View Post
              Ha! If this had any truth to it I would be a far better player than I am :p
              I never said that even in adversity, I learn enough to make a difference ... just that I tend to learn even less winning ... :D.

dV

Comment

Originally posted by Hoplosternum View Post
                I don't agree with Nik's earlier point. I don't think you can or should compel people to play on after they feel they have lost. Some might quit early, some later and others fight on till the end. To me that should be their choice. But no one forces us to play and no one should.
                It's quite simple really. If you aren't ready to go that length, don't sign up. No one is forcing you to sign up.

I've certainly learnt something from this discussion, and that is not to sign up for any game where it's not clear that all players are ready to make that commitment, to play on even after they have no hope of winning. It might be fun to play for a while, but will end in a disappointment sooner or later.

Comment

That is quite harsh, i do not belive that someone should have to continue the game after they for all points and purposes have no impact on the game. Getting a sub is preferable to quitting though, especially if you can still have an impact on the game. It might be hard to get a sub when the game have gone too far though, so better to get one early rather than later... There are a lot of different things that can lead to the game not being fun anymore.

Comment

It's the "for all points and purposes have no impact on the game" that's the pressing issue. Would you say that Hoplo and CH no longer have an impact on the game? I sure wouldn't. If that was the case, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Comment

Although I'm not a part of the game anymore, I'd side with Niklas here. When you sign up for a game, you should be prepared to play it until the end, even when you have no chance of winning. The outcome (and enjoyability) of the game changes if the "minor" players are AI rather than human.

And although I have been eliminated a while ago, Elkad/Munro have a pretty nice chunk of land to themselves and are, I think, strong contenders. Have corporations kicked in yet?

Comment

No corps have been founded yet, but i am guessing one will be founded this turn ;).

Comment

What Niklas said. Pitboss for me is about playing against human opposition, and like any game, some games will go better than others. But just playing a series of half-games is frustrating - I'd much rather play until the end, even if that means that some games will be more interesting (for me) than others - because it means being allowed to finish the games that /are/ interesting. Most of us are already in multiple pitboss games and so already committed to being online each day anyway. In most cases, it's a fairly small incremental committment to play it out.

A question for those that voted to end the game... would it change anything if we were to start a new game in parallel, rather than /instead/ of TT - i.e. would you be willing to play both? Is it definitely required to end TT in order to start something new?

Not sure if this would make a difference to anyone or not, but it sounds like Bernout is already willing / able to keep up TT in the background while also starting something new. (And I probably have spare bandwidth on my pitboss server for a new game too).

Comment

I'd play both, even if one is a OCC. ;)

Comment

What if both are occ's ? :p

Comment

Originally posted by oyzar View Post
                                What if both are occ's ? :p
                                You sure you don't mean "what if one is an 0CC?" (instead of an OCC) ... ;)

dV

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X