3.19 patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.19 patch

Well, 3.19 is up. Appears to mostly be full of stuff from the unofficial patch versions.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=323831

Since those have very little effect on pitboss games, can we get a common agreement when to patch our servers?

Reasons to delay.
    The steam version isn't even up yet.
    Some people will invariably end up using roundabout methods like carrying files home from work on a thumbdrive, or waiting for their friend in another country to mail them a CD.
    Mods (NoScore, 40civ, etc) will need to be adjusted
    So we probably shouldn't be in any great hurry.

I propose Saturday, 20 June as a projected Pitboss Patch Day.
    Elkad

Re: 3.19 patch

Is there anyone who is unable to support both versions due to lack of disk space or something like that?

I'm generally resistant to patch mid-game unless it is bringing something significant to the table or it is causing too many problems with the players.

Bernout

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
    Well, 3.19 is up. Appears to mostly be full of stuff from the unofficial patch versions.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=323831

Since those have very little effect on pitboss games, can we get a common agreement when to patch our servers?

Reasons to delay.
    The steam version isn't even up yet.
    Some people will invariably end up using roundabout methods like carrying files home from work on a thumbdrive, or waiting for their friend in another country to mail them a CD.
    Mods (NoScore, 40civ, etc) will need to be adjusted
    So we probably shouldn't be in any great hurry.

I propose Saturday, 20 June as a projected Pitboss Patch Day.

|TG-MD6|

Comment

The multiplayer changes look minimal. Fixing overflow to cash appears to be the only significant part.

I've no major objections to staying on the same version (and I was the one who had issues for 3.17). However, I'm sure some games will patch. By trying to get everyone to at least delay together, things like testing save compatibility and fixing/testing mods like NoScore can be verified ahead of time. If we know everything still works, then patching would be harmless.

Anyway, my main point in proposing a delay and joint date was to give time for these discussions. I crossposted to about 5 different pitboss forums, trying to get some consensus on patching and give people time to discuss the potential issues.
      Last edited by Ebenezer; 06-10-2009, 06:57 PM.
      Elkad

Comment

Probably worth checking if the game will even work with the 3.19 patch before switching. I'd hope so, but you never know.

In addition to the overflow cash fix, I thought these two were fairly important changes to the late game.

- Players can no longer receive obsolete resources through trade
        - Terrain height no longer affects aerial recon missions
        Emperor / Lord Parkin

Want a private forum for your Civ4 alliance to chat easily? Then come to Parkinsworld - I'll be happy to set you up with whatever you need.

Link: http://z14.invisionfree.com/Parkinsworld/index.php?act=idx

Comment

I use Steam, so I don't know if it's possible for me to run 2 Civ versions at once. But since this is my only multi-player game, I can update anytime you guys decide to (as long as Steam has the update).

Comment

Originally posted by emperor View Post
            - Players can no longer receive obsolete resources through trade
            Resources become obsolete? I get that some strategic resources may only be needed for certain units that eventually are obsolete (horses, for example), but the resource itself is considered obsolete? Does that apply to happy/health resources too?

dV

Comment

A dual install is quite easy to do, in fact at one stage I had to have 3 version of the Vanilla game, so it is not much of a hassle, since I know that in other games I am going to need to patch to them, so I am going to dual install, which is basically making a copy of the game.

I think the only resources that go obsolete are Fur and whales. So it will only affect those two.

Comment

Originally posted by da_Vinci View Post
                Resources become obsolete? I get that some strategic resources may only be needed for certain units that eventually are obsolete (horses, for example), but the resource itself is considered obsolete? Does that apply to happy/health resources too?

dV
                I'm pretty sure they are referring to the resources that already go obsolete (Whales with Combustion (or whatever it is)). Currently (under 3.17) you'd lose access to your own Whales, but someone who didn't have the tech could still trade you theirs. This likely makes it impossible for you to trade for it once you obsolete it.
                Elkad

Comment

Whales ivory and fur.

Comment

Yep, oyzar has it right: Whales, Ivory, and Fur; at Combustion, Industrialism and Plastics respectively. (Hence the reason behind having three happiness-giving wonders at about this time, to compensate for the lost resources.)
                    Emperor / Lord Parkin

Want a private forum for your Civ4 alliance to chat easily? Then come to Parkinsworld - I'll be happy to set you up with whatever you need.

Comment

The NoScore mod should be trivial to port, if it doesn't simply work right out of the box. It's pretty much XML only, the only other thing is one line of python commented out. I can test that whenever.

I'm flexible, and will likely need to have a dual install for quite some time to come anyway, until there's a HOF mod for 3.19.

Comment

Can someone post the fabled dual install trick please.

Comment

To dual install (several different ways, but here's mine):

- Create new folder in Program Files called (eg) "Firaxis Games 3.17"
                          - Copy all contents of "Firaxis Games" folder into "Firaxis Games 3.17" folder
                          - Install patch, which will only apply to the "Firaxis Games" folder
                          - Fix up the shortcuts on your desktop by going into your "Beyond the Sword" folder inside both "Firaxis Games" folders, right-clicking on "Civ4BeyondSword.exe", and sending to desktop
                          - Rename new desktop files appropriately (eg "Civ4 BTS 3.17" and "Civ4 BTS 3.19")

Hope that helps! :)
                          Emperor / Lord Parkin

Comment

All you need to do is click on the BTS folder and select copy. That is all you need to do for a dual install. At first I thought it was complex, but it is really easy. Once you have the copied files, just make a shortcut to the desktop and presto you can play both version until you don't need to.

Comment

Steam forced the update on me, so I'm kind of screwed here. Fortunately, my windows partition also has Steam + Civ installed, so I could reboot, carefully make sure I had my internet connection cut, and then start Steam in Offline mode. If I make the mistake of starting Steam once with an internet connection, I'm really screwed (once the update is started, it can't be cancelled, and you can't play the game until the update is completed).

So I can continue to play, but until we upgrade the server, it will be a pain for me. Would anyone object that we made the server update date a little sooner?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X