TG BTS: PitSuc - Signups -> Oct 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG BTS: PitSuc - Signups -> Oct 1

TG BTS: PitSuc (Pitboss Succession aka SUC)

Game Start: Thursday, October 1

The game may start up earlier if it fills before then. Server goes up at 9:00 pm EDT (GMT - 4), 1:00 am GMT.

The Goal

This is the 5th game being hosted by the 6th Marine Division (|TG-MD6|) at TG. This time around the goal is to create a game environment that is friendlier to newer players as well as narrowing the competitive disadvantage that can result during a game.

As always, the main goal is to have fun playing one of the best strategy computer games! The server will have a 24 hour turn timer which makes the game accessible to casual gamers plus is friendly to players in all time zones. Now more than ever, players new to Civ4 or Civ4 multiplayer are welcome and encouraged to sign up and enjoy the experience!

Please read the remainder of this post in its entirety.

Expectations and Rules

This game will last months. If you don't have the patience to stick with the game until it ends then this is not the game for you.

It is a good idea, if possible, to have someone outside of the game who can substitute for you in the event of an extended absence. Letting the timer expire or turning your nation over to the AI temporarily are always options. Note that no player, including substitutes, are allowed to do turns for more than one nation unless there are no objections from any player in the game! Also, if you are going to disappear for longer than a couple of days, letting the timer expire in the process, please let everyone know so nothing unexpected is done with your nation while you are away.

TG's gaming philosophy will be in full effect. The simultaneous nature of the server means the game isn't truly turn based. It is possible to take back to back turns and gain an unfair advantage over another player, especially during a war. Rather than come up with a long list of rules, all players will be expected to avoid these type of situations to the best of their ability and we'll deal with problems as they arise. All issues are expected to be raised in a timely manner, no more than 1 turn after it happened.

The TG web site, especially this forum and private messaging (PM), are going to be the main means for players to discuss the game. Please check them on a regular basis once the game starts and remember that diplomacy is highly encouraged! A player list will be created once the game starts so that it is easy to send a PM to someone.

You will need official BTS patch 3.19. Note: if you used Direct 2 Download to get the game then you need to get your patches from them as well.

We will be using CivStats so that players can monitor the server status. Email notification will also be supported. More information will be provided upon game start.

Game Format

Custom Mod

We will be using the SUC319b mod that was created specifically for this game. Please see the TG BTS: PitSuc Test Server and make sure to test your connection to the server.

The mod provides the following changes:
    • Custom deity difficulty level. AI bonuses have been removed.
    • Barbarian events have been removed (although events are not active for this game).
    • List of technologies popped from a Hut have been reduced.
    • The TECH_COST_TOTAL_KNOWN_TEAM_MODIFIER modifier has been increased to 50. This should allow nations to catch up on research easier.

Succession Teams

A nation can be run by a team of up to 2 players. The primary player will be a "non-expert" who will be paired with a more experienced player. It will be up to the two players to figure out how they want to play the nation with the understanding that the primary player has the final say in any disagreements.

Also, it should be understood that the spirit of the game is to create a learning environment for less experienced players. Having a veteran end up completely running the nation for an extended period should only happen if there is no other choice.

Game Play Variants

There will be no gifting of military units.

City gifting may take place as long as it does not violate the following rule.

Nations at game start will be limited to 8 cities total. This number will be increased by 1 when 50% of the players (rounded up) have reached this limit. When 50% of the players have reached the new limit it will be increased again, so on and so forth.

Nation Assignments

Primary players will be assigned player numbers based on an alphabetical list of TG account names. Nations and their leaders will be assigned randomly.

Difficulty Level

The difficulty level being used is Deity (custom version) for all players.

Settings:
    • Map: Inland Sea (as generated by the Full of Resources script). Starting locations will be modified by Munro in order to ensure as fair a start as possible for all players.
    • Size: TBD (Huge if we get 12 teams or more)
    • Climate: Temperate
    • Sea Level: Low
    • Era: Ancient
    • Speed: Normal
    • World Wrap: Flat
    • Start: Inland

Game Options Selected:
    • Choose Religions
    • No Technology Trading
    • Permanent Alliances
    • No Vassal States
    • No Random Events

Full Option List:
    • No Advanced Start
    • City Razing
    • City Flipping From Culture
    • No City Flipping After Conquest
    • Barbarians
    • No Raging Barbarians
    • Restricted/Normal Leaders
    • Choose Religions
    • NoTechnology Trading
    • Permanent Alliances
    • No Require Complete Kills
    • No Vassal States
    • Tribal Villages
    • No Random Events
    • Espionage

Victory:
    • Time
    • Conquest
    • Domination - city limit rule may make this impossible
    • Cultural
    • Space Race
    • Diplomatic
    • Custom Diplomatic (see below)

Multiplayer:
    • Simultaneous Turns
    • Take Over AI
    • Turn Timer - 24 hours (approx. 28 hours of real time at game start)

End Game

The end of the game will be determined either by player vote or by an in game victory condition being met. In the case of the vote, the following procedure is to be followed:

1. A vote to end the game may be called by any player but may not be called within 30 days of the conclusion of a previous vote.

2. The vote will be held in these forums for a period of 1 week. Every attempt will be made to get a yes or no vote from each player but in the event a player can not be reached it shall be counted as a 'yes' vote.

3. At the end of the week, if a 2/3 yes vote (rounded up) results in the game ending then the agreed upon dominant player at that time will be the winner unless they concede the victory to someone else. Note that this game allows a team victory via a permanent alliance.

If the players of a nation wish to quit the game, and no other player in the game has an objection to it, then they may turn their nation over permanently to the AI or find a sub to take it over. Obviously the latter is preferred if possible.

The server supports 18 nations. If more than 18 teams sign up, priority will be given to TG supporting members, then to TG account members who have signed up themselves, followed by everyone else. Anyone not given a starting position is encouraged to be a substitute.

To reserve a spot, please reply to this topic with:

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic:
    Have you successfully connected to the test server:
    Civ4 Player Name:
    Time Zone:
    What is your normal single player difficulty level which you play at (or would play at):
    How many multiplayer games have you participated in: 0, 1 - 2, 3 - 10, or 10+:
    Would you consider yourself an expert player:
    If you are an expert player, are you willing to be an advisor:
    Do you wish to only be an advisor:
    Is there someone who you wish to be partnered up with:
    Comments:

Participants

The list will be updated as responses come in.

Italics for a player's name indicates they are a possible advisor.
    Bold for a player's name means they are an advisor.
    Everybody else (i.e. normal text) will be a primary player if at all possible.

22 of 36 spots are filled.

fizikis
    jarvis
    Bernout
    Snarlin
    DMOC
    ManiaMuse
    Kemal
    Raskolnikov
    Rusten
    stowell38
    Turd Ferguson
    David
    Ebenezer
    Wing Wah
    Kaleb
    pianoman1242
    da_Vinci
    cav scout
    heppcatt
    Morgan (starts Oct 13)
    dekarguy
    Michgod
    Last edited by Bernout; 10-01-2009, 07:19 PM.

|TG-MD6|

Re: TG BTS: PitSuc - Signups *IN PROGRESS*

Hello,

I would like to sign up for this PitBoss game. I have played single player CIV quite a lot, but am new to multiplayer. Recently joined a PBEM game, but have no idea what is PitBoss. I would appreciate if someone could show me the ropes on PitBoss and also educate me on the major differences between single player and multiplayer.

My time zone is GMT+2 and I am currently playing Monarch difficulty.

I'll PM you with some info but I'd prefer for now that this topic be for signups only. -- Bernout
    Last edited by Bernout; 09-18-2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Hello, i've read and understand the game info - includeing the gameing philosophy.

I've successfully connected to the test server (though getting the mod to work was confuseing for a little bit, the file structure on the steam version is a bit messy).

My civ4 name will be jarvis, same as here.

I'm an english player so Time zone is greenwich mean time.

I normally only play at about noble or monarch level and haven't played multiplayer before, so definately not an expert player and I have noone specific to be partnered with.

Comment

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic: Read and understood
        Have you successfully connected to the test server: Yes
        Civ4 Player Name: Bernout
        Time Zone: MDT (GMT - 6)
        What is your normal single player difficulty level which you play at (or would play at): Monarch
        How many multiplayer games have you participated in: 0, 1 - 2, 3 - 10, or 10+: 3 - 10
        Would you consider yourself an expert player: No
        If you are an expert player, are you willing to be an advisor: If needed.
        Do you wish to only be an advisor: No
        Is there someone who you wish to be partnered up with: No
        Comments:

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Re: TG BTS: PitSuc - Signups -> Oct 1

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic: Read and understood.
          Civ4 Player Name: Snarlin
          Time Zone: MDT (GMT - 5)
          What is your normal single player difficulty level which you play at (or would play at): Prince
          How many multiplayer games have you participated in: 0, 1 - 2, 3 - 10, or 10+: 3 - 10
          If you are an expert player, are you willing to be an advisor: Only if someone is in dire need.
          Do you wish to only be an advisor: No

Comments: Love the game. Enjoy multiplayer. But best described as somewhat of a "lazy" player. Normally don't have a lot of time to sit and think over a turn. When I do, I'm halfway decent...unfortunately it doesn't happen very often...thus I never play above Prince.

Snarlin

Comment

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic: YES
            Have you successfully connected to the test server:YES
            Civ4 Player Name: DMOC
            Time Zone: GMT-5
            What is your normal single player difficulty level which you play at (or would play at): Deity
            How many multiplayer games have you participated in: 0, 1 - 2, 3 - 10, or 10+: 1-2
            Would you consider yourself an expert player: Semi-expert, mostly from reading walkthroughs rather than experience
            If you are an expert player, are you willing to be an advisor: If needed. Doesn't really matter to me.
            Do you wish to only be an advisor: No (see last statement)
            Comments: I play deity single player but for multiplayer most of my knowledge comes from reading guides etc.

Comment

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic: Read and understood
              Civ4 Player Name: ManiaMuse
              Time Zone: GMT
              What is your normal single player difficulty level which you play at (or would play at): Can win at Emperor but play could do with a lot of improvement especially openings and late game micro/war/empire management
              How many multiplayer games have you participated in: 0, 1 - 2, 3 - 10, or 10+: 1, wasn't the first player to get rushed though :P
              If you are an expert player, are you willing to be an advisor: No
              Do you wish to only be an advisor: No.
              Is there someone who you wish to be partnered up with: Not particularly
              Comments: Don't have much multiplayer experience so would be interesting to see how it works and also if it improves my game since there a lot more time per turn will be taken.

Comment

I would love to sign up!

I have read and understood the first message of this signup topic.
                I have successfully connected to the test server:
                Civ4 Player Name: Kemal
                Time Zone: GMT +1 (Paris, Berlin, Stockholm, Prague ...)
                My normal single player difficulty level which I play at is MONARCH
                I have participated in 0 CIV IV multiplayer games so far, but I have experience with playing Diplomacy/Realpolitik via emails. So I already know the responsibility to react timely.
                I would consider myself as an sort of an expert CIV IV player, however I lack the multiplaying experience.
                If you are an expert player, are you willing to be an advisor: No, I am not THAT expert :)
                Do you wish to only be an advisor: I prefer to try playing
                Is there someone who you wish to be partnered up with: No, since I am new to the community
                Comments: I wish that the game goes fluently and everyone has fun! :))

Comment

Civ4 Player Name: Raskolnikov
                  Time Zone: GMT +1
                  What is your normal single player difficulty level which you play at (or would play at): mostly immortal with some noble mixed in ;)
                  How many multiplayer games have you participated in: 0, 1 - 2, 3 - 10, or 10+: 1
                  If you are an expert player, are you willing to be an advisor: not at all! I need to be advised ;)
                  Do you wish to only be an advisor: see above...
                  Is there someone who you wish to be partnered up with: Rusten (he can't stop ranting how crappy I am... guess it will be the occasion to teach)
                  Comments: expecting to have fun!

Cheers
                  Last edited by Raskolnikov; 09-22-2009, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic: Read and understood.
                    Have you successfully connected to the test server: Yes.
                    Civ4 Player Name: Rusten
                    Time Zone: CET (GMT+1)
                    What is your normal single player difficulty level which you play at (or would play at): Deity.
                    How many multiplayer games have you participated in: 0, 1 - 2, 3 - 10, or 10+: 10+
                    Would you consider yourself an expert player: Yes.
                    If you are an expert player, are you willing to be an advisor: Yes.
                    Do you wish to only be an advisor: Yes.
                    Is there someone who you wish to be partnered up with: Raskolnikov (he can't stop talking about how good he is... this will be the occassion to set him straight)
                    Comments: Should be a fun game! :)

Comment

lol

Comment

Heh, if Rusten and Ras team up you better ensure someone "balances" the map to give the others a sporting chance. If you don't believe me, have a look at these results. :p

Comment

I would like to sign up. I am just getting into playing Civ4 and would love to learn from others.

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic: Yes
                          Civ4 Player Name: stowell48
                          Time Zone: Mountain
                          What is your normal single player difficulty level which you play at (or would play at): Starting to play on Noble. I haven't won this level yet
                          How many multiplayer games have you participated in: 0, 1 - 2, 3 - 10, or 10+: 0
                          Would you consider yourself an expert player: no
                          Do you wish to only be an advisor: no
                          Is there someone who you wish to be partnered up with:
                          Comments:
                          Excited to get started

Comment

I would like to change my signup to say "advisor only."

Comment

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood the first message of this signup topic: Yes
                              Civ4 Player Name: Turd Ferguson
                              Time Zone: -5GMT
                              What is your normal single player difficulty level which you play at (or would play at): Noble/Prince
                              How many multiplayer games have you participated in: 0, 1 - 2, 3 - 10, or 10+: 1-2
                              Do you wish to only be an advisor:
                              Comments: Let's Do It!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X