Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PitSuc City Limit: Time to raise it ti 9?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PitSuc City Limit: Time to raise it ti 9?

    Looks to me like 50% have reached 8 ... is the city limit now moving up to 9? Do we wait for an official ruling from Bernout?

    dV

  • #2
    Re: PitSuc City Limit: Time to raise it ti 9?

    Originally posted by da_Vinci View Post
    Looks to me like 50% have reached 8 ... is the city limit now moving up to 9? Do we wait for an official ruling from Bernout?
    If there are 5 people with 8 cities then we have technically reached the limit...I forgot to check this the last time I logged in. I do have a couple of questions I'd like everyone's opinion on.

    I captured a city yesterday which I suppose made me the 5th person with 8 cities. However, it is still contested and there's a chance it may be lost. For the terms of the city limit rule do we care or do we perhaps want to amend the rule slightly to be 8 cities that are not in an anarchy state?

    Also, our New Zealand friends appear to be AWOL for Arabia. If this continues then something will need to be done for it. They are large enough where turning them over to the AI has the possibility of impacting the city limit rule.

    Bernout

    |TG-MD6|

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: PitSuc City Limit: Time to raise it ti 9?

      We should drag a couple of subs in really. Percles needs sorting out.

      I'm ready for another city, think we've hit the trigger point.

      edit- Percy has DoW on the Arabians, need a sub or kick to AI
      Last edited by Morgan; 04-09-2010, 12:54 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: PitSuc City Limit: Time to raise it ti 9?

        Having 8 pacified cities makes some sense, but how easily is that monitored. Plus, there is always the chance that some with 8 lose a city even after pacification, or lose a city that they founded. So maybe we don't worry about the issue of losing cities, perhaps being at the "50% at the limit" threshold at the end of a turn (which avoids issue of capture and raze being a trigger, it has to be capture and keep) triggers the increase in city limit. This seems simpler.

        The other question is do we mean 50% of civs run by humans, or 50% of civs on the board. Including vassals?

        One potentially unintended consequence of the city limit rule is that it will mandate the elimination of locked in civs for the other civs to grow. Not sure if there is an answer, but maybe at some point the trigger is 50% of the major powers? If not, then minor powers prevent major power growth, leading to elimination of the minor powers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: PitSuc City Limit: Time to raise it ti 9?

          Originally posted by da_Vinci View Post
          Having 8 pacified cities makes some sense, but how easily is that monitored. Plus, there is always the chance that some with 8 lose a city even after pacification, or lose a city that they founded. So maybe we don't worry about the issue of losing cities, perhaps being at the "50% at the limit" threshold at the end of a turn (which avoids issue of capture and raze being a trigger, it has to be capture and keep) triggers the increase in city limit. This seems simpler.
          Excellent points. Ok...the city limit is now 9 then.

          The other question is do we mean 50% of civs run by humans, or 50% of civs on the board. Including vassals?

          One potentially unintended consequence of the city limit rule is that it will mandate the elimination of locked in civs for the other civs to grow. Not sure if there is an answer, but maybe at some point the trigger is 50% of the major powers? If not, then minor powers prevent major power growth, leading to elimination of the minor powers.
          I don't see an issue with this. Really, all the nations should be doing their best to keep up with the city limit in order to stay competitive. If they can't do so for whatever reason then they are in a bad position and suffer the consequences.

          There's also an interesting higher level strategy layer here since the same majority cities could keep driving the limit higher and higher. At some point each of those nations need to ask themselves if that is the best thing to do given their position in the game.

          Bernout

          |TG-MD6|

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: PitSuc City Limit: Time to raise it ti 9?

            I agree, that it is not an issue you may feel a need to solve or address. But particularly in a game for newcomers to the game, it is ironic that city limits may hasten the demise of the smaller civs. If one civ with 4 cities is preventing me from settling my 10th, I have to go kill it off to be able to settle open space. Maybe nothing to be done about it, but there is some irony here, I think.

            dV
            Last edited by da_Vinci; 04-09-2010, 07:40 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: PitSuc City Limit: Time to raise it ti 9?

              Originally posted by Bernout View Post
              There's also an interesting higher level strategy layer here since the same majority cities could keep driving the limit higher and higher. At some point each of those nations need to ask themselves if that is the best thing to do given their position in the game. Bernout
              You are suggesting that a major civ might want to keep the city limit low deliberately, if that suits it strategically ... I suppose at some point if only a few civs have room to grow, (or the might to conquer), the cap starts to become more entrenched. There are some uncharted implications to this whole city limit thing ...

              dV

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: PitSuc City Limit: Time to raise it ti 9?

                Originally posted by Morgan View Post
                We should drag a couple of subs in really. Percles needs sorting out.

                I'm ready for another city, think we've hit the trigger point.

                edit- Percy has DoW on the Arabians, need a sub or kick to AI
                I'll go post at CivStats to see if we can rope in a couple of subs. If anyone knows someone who might be interested then send them this way.

                I'll go kick Arabia to AI right now.

                Bernout

                |TG-MD6|

                Comment

                Connect

                Collapse

                TeamSpeak 3 Server

                Collapse

                Advertisement

                Collapse

                Twitter Feed

                Collapse

                Working...
                X