Barbarians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbarians

Anyone else get a barbarian horde sweeping down from the steppes like the Mongolians(the real ones, not the ingame ones)? I just find it annoying when about 7 show up at the same time early in the game and destroy all your improvements and then proceed to knock you back to the stone ages while banging their heads against your capital.

Is the solution to find all the villages and explore them before they start pumping out barbarians?
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Re: Barbarians

They have cities, but as far as i can tell they can spawn anywhere in the Fog of war. So keep your visibility up with scouts so they don't spawn right on you.

- -

Comment

Ive never had 7 attack me at once before, even on Monarch difficulty setting. Do you have raging barbarians turned on or something?

Comment

Nope, just playing on Noble. In the previous Civs, the barbarians disappeared when you expanded out and when you explored the villages. I havent figured out if that is true in this one also. I think that fog of war that Vulcan mentioned might be it.
        -33rd- BaneII
        Smokers & Jokers

Comment

I have had barbarian cities pop up in patches of fog of war only 2x2 in size. On Warlord setting. Even if you push back the wilderness, they can show up just about anywhere. Luckily, 3 to 4 chariots (with a barracks promotion) will knock them out quick. Later on, you can use axemen. The real problem is when they stack 6-7 archers and start sending swordsmen after you.

They seem about as prevalent in IV as they did in III, although in III they formed camps instead of cities. No defensive bonus.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

When that happens to me I take the garrison of my city and put it on my borders. The barbarians will attack anything in their path so a few armies at the edges of my improvements act like bug zappers. It's a good way to build up well trained units which I find useful because the vast majority of my games start in the Arctic Circle and I almost always have to fight my way out.

Comment

If you find barbarians around, you need to deal with them ASAP. As soon as you get notice that a barbarian is near your territory, you need to send out troops in search of their city. If you don't, they build up, and then you're in trouble. Otherwise, the way to prevent them is as others have said- keep your fog of war to a minimum.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Barbarian swordsman + indian machine guns = barbarian skipping cities and destroying improvements.

I played a game as Hitler last night with the Germans. My goal was to destroy everything I could find. I didn't strike war till I had Panzers which was about 1700.

Barbarian swordsmen came in on my norther border, left on my southern. Skipped everything in my land just because I had tanks on the move. I think they know when not to fight.

-Mom
                Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

I agree with Cadian on this one - early sweeps go better... if you wait, you die. :)

Comment

Barbarians will spawn randomly in any location that is not visible to a player (or AI). Their technology seems to be random up to and including that of the most advanced player (or AI), so you could have swordsmen attacking your warriors. The best strategy I've found is to defend early cities strongly with walls and a couple of archers. That way, although barbarians will sack your improvements, they won't be a real threat to your cities. Try not to let them discourage you from improving, because workers are cheap. Also, develop some mobile troops (horse archers are good) and sentry them around your borders to intercept barbarians before they start burning your crops.
                    |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

I made the mistake of not only leaving the fog of war near my cities...but leaving New York defenseless, and it was conquered by the horde. It took a while for me to build up an army to get to New York and retake it.

Comment

I miss the Mayans. Barbarian invasions were like worker factories. It was beautiful.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X