You guys can play?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys can play?

I have this game, and it's unplayable beyond a certain point. Something happens, and my monitor goes blank, loses imput (goes to standby), and my computer stops responding. In order to get my computer running again, I have to unplug it from the wall! I have installed 1.52 patch. I have reduced all the graphics and audio to the lowest possible place. I have installed all the latest audio and video and motherboard drivers, as well as Direct X. I have followed every fix-it recommendation that I have seen, and yet this game still crashes/reboots my computer.

I am sure I'm not the only person with this rebooting issue, just go to the CIV 4 forums at civfanatics.com. So my question is, who here had a problem like mine, and how did you fix it? This is killin me, over here.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Re: You guys can play?

I haven't played with the patch yet, but I had zero problems in single player games before... Multiplayer was a completely different story, however my PC never locked up or rebooted.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I actually just installed my game yesterday, and today was my first single player game. It seems the first time I loaded it up, for some reason, it failed to load a massive number of things. Which ended up crashing my game.

Ok, no problem, it happens. So I load it again. I was checking some options, and adjusting them. I reset the audio options, and BAM. Locks up, goes unresponsive.

Ok, damn. Restart comp. reload. Everything fine, so I finally start a game. About 30 minutes in, I try clicking on a unit. Then instantly, im on my desktop. Wondering what the hell just happened.

Iíve never really had a problem like this with any other game, well at least not so severely.

Im going to DL the patch tomorrow, and see how it goes.
      Focused

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixxFire
        Iíve never really had a problem like this with any other game, well at least not so severely.
        And yet, you're unable to re-upload a forums avatar? :row__681:

:row__577: :row__631: :row__523: :row__642: :row__577: :row__631: :row__523: :row__642:
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Actually, after i posted it last night it showed up fine. Then when i got home today and got on, i noticed that it my pic was missing. Not sure what caused it, but i just changed it. ::shrugs::
          Focused

Comment

Hmm, I haven't had any significant issues of stability with Civ4, really.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixxFire
              Actually, after i posted it last night it showed up fine. Then when i got home today and got on, i noticed that it my pic was missing. Not sure what caused it, but i just changed it. ::shrugs::
              They were corrupted with the last forums upgrade. You were probably seeing what was in your cache...
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Wait.. do we still need to change them or what?

Comment

Originally posted by AzzMan
                  Wait.. do we still need to change them or what?
                  I see yours just fine, but I haven't flushed my cache in a while. Did you already reupload your avatar after the last forums upgrade? I bet you did...
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

WOW THIS AVATAR COVERSATION IS ENTHRALLING!

lol :D

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

I do not have a problem with my copy of Civ 4 with patch 1.52.

However, as for the problem with the monitor going to standby, that is certainly NOT a game issue perse (at least in my experience with standby monitor going black etc problems). You will definately need to check your hardware for problems (memory, cpu, videocard testing). I have found that 90% of the monitor going black "issue" has been due to a hardware problem (90% coming from some research I did back in 2003) which begins to occur with specific games, and usually coincides with some sort of memory trigger in which the random black screen crap happens and the machine hangs (or doesnt really hang but you know what I mean). Games on the halflife 1 engine and a lot of other things dont trigger it very often, but games that are more modern (ie CS:S) will have it occur more.

I found that the rebooting/black screen hanging, standby problem occurs in a lot of games so I wouldnt be surprised if you said you have found instances of it in the forums. Though certainly having the BIG patch 1.52 (which is THE patch to have at the very least) helps.

You should probably start with a memory test on your RAM, and run a burn test on them.

Comment

I just wanted to write and let you all know that I have gotten my copy of Civilization 4 working to a degree that I find acceptable. And by acceptable I mean I have only slept about 20 hours in the last two weeks. This game is... really good.

Unfortunately, I don't REALLY know what the problem was, other than a lack of optimized video, memory, and audio. Obviously that includes a wide range of solutions, and that is exactly what I did to 'fix' it. I uninstalled the game, uninstalled my graphics and sound drivers for windows (after downloading the new drivers, of course), updated all windows updates (very annoying, had to reset umpteen times), and uninstalled my ATI tray (I have a feeling this was a critical solution, as I have heard stories about the dubious nature of the ATI tray). Then I uninstalled the game, reinstalled everything above (cept the ATI thing), and reinstalled the game. I patched the game to the newest version (1.52) and enabled the "memory saver" option, which IIRC is in-game (if not, check the CIV4 .ini file). The memory saver is key. The performance boost with it ON was significant, to say the least.

The game still crashes when I leave the graphics on medium (but only after about 1600AD, and only on diplomacy screen) but, to be quite honest, I find these momentary returns to reality to be extremely helpful. Hours seem like minutes when I'm playing, and I have to admit I've forgotten an important event more than a couple times because of this.

I'm up to 'Prince' difficulty now, and am doing just fine. Ghengis Khan was my closest neighbor this game, and so I knew right off the bat that REGARDLESS of my diplomacy towards him, he would attack me before his horsies went obsolete. Nevertheless, I bribed him with free fur (I somehow had count-em SIX furs in my eventual territory) and spread my religion to his area, which he quickly converted to. Well, it's the year AD1235, and I've just started building Cho-Ko-Nu in preparation for his inevitable attack, and BAM there it is. The Khan declares war on you! Good thing ol' Bizmark's got my back. God I love this game..

Long live Qin Shi Huang and the Cho-Ko-Nu :icon26:.

Comment

Not much time on my hands atm, so I didn't read all replies. Your problem may be hardware as opposed to software. My computer's PSU fan went out and after a while, the PC would overheat and shut down but still respond as if it were still running (Lights on, etc). My only way to reboot was to unplug it from the back and let it cool down for say... a solid minute. It would reboot fine, and run as long as I didn't play anything that caused other components to cut on (IE: Vid card, sound chip, etc.) As long as the rest of my PC wasn't running, the PSU wouldn't overheat.

Since then, I've taken an air filter, set it on high, and made it blow directly into my PC as I have a Compaq POS Model and the fan costs about 60 bucks to replace and any other PSU Fan is too large or too small.

Not sure if that's your problem, but it happened to me and sounds familiar to mine.

-Mom
                          Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X