Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated server for CivIV- do we want it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated server for CivIV- do we want it?

http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/pitboss.htm

Is this something that we would use? It looks like this can be set up with, say, a 24 hour timer, so that everyone must make their move within 24 hours. If everyone is online at the same time, moves would be completed normally. If a few people are not online, then play will stop until they make their turn OR the 24 hour mark is hit (at which time they'd lose their turn).

I would really like to get a long term game going. I would use this if others would. If there's enough interest, I'll ask Apophis about installing this on a server. I can't imagine it would use many resources...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Dedicated server for CivIV- do we want it?

I would probably get into a game like that. I don't have time to set for several hours anymore, but I could do a turn based game with one turn every 24 hours.

If all players have their turn done in under 24 hours, can each of them submit a second turn before that 24 hour period is up?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

I would play in a PitBoss game with you guys. Assuming we were all on for at least the first hour or so to get the game going before we switch over to the slower turn per day rate.

Here's a link for Apophis on how to run multiple PitBoss servers from one civ4 install:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...43#post3651543

I don't think we'll need multiple PitBoss servers here at TG, but maybe some players will want to start a game and one is already in progress and they don't want to wait. You need to run one PitBoss server per game. So Apophis is going to have to setup the server whenever a group of players want to start a game. However a PitBoss game should last several weeks, so it's not like he'll have to setup a PitBoss server every day.

re: asch
      I'm not sure about your question, but I would hope that players would be able to perform as many turns per day as they wished as long as everyone was playing their own turn at the same rate. I'll look into it, I might be totally off base since I've never actually played a PitBoss game.

Comment

Originally posted by asch
        If all players have their turn done in under 24 hours, can each of them submit a second turn before that 24 hour period is up?
        That's what it says. So if we get a PitBoss game going and we start it on a Saturday evening and we play for a few hours just like normal, then, throughout the week, we'd have 24 hours to make a turn, then we could get together again the following Saturday and, if everyone is there, play like normal for a few more hours. Once everyone has made their turn, then everyone can play another turn. The timer just protects everyone from someone that doesn't make their turn at all anymore...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X