New Civ IV game called "Colonization"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Civ IV game called "Colonization"

This month's issue of PC Gamer has a sneak peak at the next Civ IV game called "Colonization". I guess it's actually a re-make of a 1994 Sid Meier game that's been updated to fit the Civ IV style. It's sounds pretty interesting with some new twists.

A brief article can be found online at:
    http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/sid-mei...10141033312078
    but the PC Gamer magazine article is MUCH better and has lots of screen shots.

I can't wait until it comes out (in November sometime).

Re: New Civ IV game called "Colonization"

Yea, the original was great. Can't wait.

It's standalone as well for those without Civ4.

Comment

I just noticed that Firaxis now has a web page for Colonization:
      http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=21

Comment

This game was the bomb. It was the first civilization style game I played. I still remember finding the fountain of youth and getting a lot of immigrants coming to my new towns. Definitely a must buy if its got everything from before as it is actually quite different from what we've seen in the Civilization series. Did someone say multiplayer?

Comment

It came out yesterday (9/23). Has anyone played it yet?

Comment

I bought it and downloaded it last night via Steam... will be playing it today... 30 bucks, stand alone... getting good but not great reviews at a few sites.
            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by AFsoccer View Post
              It came out yesterday (9/23). Has anyone played it yet?
              I may wait for a patch for this one before getting it. Sounds like there may be some tweaking required.

I wonder if it has Pitboss support?

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I got it and played it for quite a while today. I like it. Being a long-term Civ IV player, it did have a few things that I had to adjust to. For example, the world is smaller, the zone around each settlement is smaller, and you don't build as many settlements as we're used to in Civ IV:BtS. Also, each settlement basically specializes in one or two trade items, and you normally have to spend time moving raw materials (i.e. ore, cotton, etc.) around so the settlement always has enough to produce the finished items (i.e. tools, fabric, etc.).

Also, the military aspects are scaled down. No longer do you need 20+ unit stacks to make an attack on a settlement. I had a stack of 4 units (rifleman, dragoon, and 2 cannons) and that was about perfect.

Anyway, I recommend it and definitely plan on putting a LOT more hours into it. It has the same "just one more turn" addictiveness that the other Civ games have.

Comment

Hello to all colonization/civilization fans.

I just found this thread and I must say that I've tried it, and it just doesn't offer what the first colonization did, re-playability and fun.

It makes you follow only 1 possible path to win the independence war, because the royal expeditionary force is just too powerful even in the easier levels.

I hope most problems will be solved in a patch, but until then I can't just play it.

Check out this forums and see what i'm talking about.

Link:http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=339
                  sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

At me why that this game goes only at the connection included the Internet

Comment

Oh I played the old Colonization and Colonization IV. I think the setting from the old 2D to 3D is a nice change and makes the game a bit more pleasing to the eyes. Though I do miss the intro video in the old Colonization with the really nice songs.

You even have a scenario map with a huge representation of the western hemisphere which is awesome, and you can use the world builder to cheat a bit if you are so inclined ;) .
                      If I recall right, I think the natives were more aggresive in the old colonization, so that's a bit of a disapoinment, but that maybe strives from me being a pacifist against Native americans.

And I don't think the Royal expeditionary force is hard, you just gotta have enough units and ship of the lines to smack them down, destroy the ships and you are golden. And yes, veteran soldiers are neat.

I higly recommend learning the automatization feature for transports, it will make your life a whole lot easier, since then your transports will automaticaly move materials on a import,export basis.

I also like that the promotion system from CiV 4 is here, makes for more interesting tactical moves.
                      Foxwolves or folves for short are very versatile. Sniper, engineer, soldier, strategist, medic, commando.
                      All in one package.
                      The most obvious though is death.

Comment

If you still play it or want to play it with other TGers feel free to join this group:
                        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/groups/...n-players.html

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X