CIV ... RTS ... Really?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIV ... RTS ... Really?

Uh ... isn't CIV TURN-BASED strategy (TBS)? Not RTS? (Shifts eyes mischieveously ... )

dV

Re: CIV ... RTS ... Really?

Civ indeed is turn based strategy game, you do your moves in turns and when every1 has moved / ended their turn next one begins.

Thats is very simple version of how it works, ofcourse there is much more than just moving in this game.

And because Civ is turn based it really isn't that much joy for eye, so it might look boring at first sight, then when you have tested it and notice still playing it after 4hours you really are hooked : P

There are some benefits in TBS when compared to RTS, including long play times.Most related RTS type to TBS would be 4xRTS, whick has still slow tempo as in TBS but everything happens in real time.

Comment

Thanks Silver Pipe ... While I am new here, I am a veteran at Civ Fanatics, and was mostly poking fun at CIV living in the RTS forum.

RTS seems to come down to who has better command of the keyboard shortcuts, and more ninble fingers (neither one is my forte), or better thumbs in the case of console game.

And RTS seems to give rise to pretty wild strategies that can be done on autopilot (the pikeman spam in online play in the Cossacks series comes to mind).

So TBS (and Civ) suits me just fine!

dV

Comment

Originally posted by da_Vinci View Post
        Thanks Silver Pipe ... While I am new here, I am a veteran at Civ Fanatics, and was mostly poking fun at CIV living in the RTS forum.

RTS seems to come down to who has better command of the keyboard shortcuts, and more ninble fingers (neither one is my forte), or better thumbs in the case of console game.

And RTS seems to give rise to pretty wild strategies that can be done on autopilot (the pikeman spam in online play in the Cossacks series comes to mind).

So TBS (and Civ) suits me just fine!
        :)

Well, you could certainly argue that Civ4 does have a real time element associated with it due to the simultaneous play that it supports during a turn.

How having said that I completely with you. I've already made the recommendation that the category be shortened to just "Strategy" but nothing ever came of it.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Turn based is very fun in Civ, it even taught me about history! :-)

Civ IV is very different from Civ III, and I'm a huge Civ III fan so I'm still getting use to Civ IV.
          I'VE GOT YOUR GAMING NEEDS! (8800 GTX, 4gb of RAM, 7600 GS 512 GS, FPS Creators X10 and more...) I'll take your paintball stuff or cash.

PM ME! or check out my posts!

Comment

Originally posted by nj18 View Post
            Turn based is very fun in Civ, it even taught me about history! :-)

Civ IV is very different from Civ III, and I'm a huge Civ III fan so I'm still getting use to Civ IV.
            I did the transition straight from the original Civ to Civ 4 and it blew me away how much better this version is. :)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Civ IV was my introduction to the series - on my first turn, all I remember was thinking that I should have listened more carefully to that tutorial..

Comment

Originally posted by Bernout View Post
                I did the transition straight from the original Civ to Civ 4 and it blew me away how much better this version is. :)
                I did the same. Huge leap.

Other games (Master of Orion) seemed to go downhill. MOO and MOO2 are far better than the later versions. (I still play both from time to time).
                Elkad

Comment

I only ever played MOO3, and was very disappointed. Maybe I should try the earlier ones. :)

As for the Civ series, I started with Civ3 and moved to Civ4. Was resistant to the changes in Civ4 at first (especially the massive lags due to better graphics), but once I got a better computer I was absolutely hooked on it. ;)

And yes, this should be under TBS or Strategy, not RTS.
                  Emperor / Lord Parkin

Want a private forum for your Civ4 alliance to chat easily? Then come to Parkinsworld - I'll be happy to set you up with whatever you need.

Link: http://z14.invisionfree.com/Parkinsworld/index.php?act=idx

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X