Problems with game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with game?

I have the Steam version... I wonder if the store bought, or even Direct2Drive versions have this problem... ?

I had planned on doing a comprehensive review of Civilization 5 for SimHQ, since I do love the series and have been following it, was looking forward to the new combat procedure... but as luck would have it, and BTW... I am not alone, it's a major problem for ALOT of buyers...

Civilization 5 locks up 98% of the time during the opening movie which you can't by-pass till about the 30 second mark... I've tried re-naming it, to block it... but the game skips the intro then locks up... the other 2% I might get in, but it will lock up while setting up a game... I was able to do about 20 minutes of the tutorial ONCE... Now you would think, OK...somethings wrong with the machine/driver/hardware...whatever... well I've tried it on 3 of my computers all different specs, graphic cards, drivers etc etc... happens with every one of them... it sucks, was really looking forward to a new Civ addiction.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Problems with game?

I've already logged over 3 hours of game time on my STEAM version.

For the sake of troubleshooting, here are my system specs:

Win 7 Pro x64
    I7 980X
    ASUS RE3 MB
    2 HD4870 in Crossfire with driver v10.7
    12GB Ram

EDIT:
    Also, when I launch Civ V I always pick the DX10/11 version. I have never tried the DX9.
    Last edited by draeh; 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

no issues here, dx 10/11 c2d 8400 gtx 260 on vista 64

- -

Comment

You can bypass the movie with the following:

Try this...[*] adjusted user settings ini file to skip intro video C:\Users\computername\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\usersettings.ini --> SkipIntroVideo = 1
        Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Ya thx... did that... tried everything recommended from the official site... now it happens as the game loads and the character is talking about the nation you picked... so I think it has something to do with either the voice files or animations... able to do the tutorial since that don't have a opening scene.

And like i said... if it was a problem on one PC then I would know it's my problem... but all 3 of my PC's... same thing... thats poor programming.

Waiting for patch...really want to play.
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Sounds like an issue with sound, definitely localized. bad driver would be my guess.

- -

Comment

Well a small update was released via Steam... and last night during my 30 min lunch break, I tested it again on my Alienware laptop (net book), and also turned off the intro movie... and it worked... what started as 30 mins to play test turned into 2 hours... my Sergeant had to call me and ask what was wrong, why wasn't I working because I hadn't done any pro-active work since lunch, lol... told him just not feeling to hot so hiding, he said OK.

Damn that Sid! lol

I'm home on my desktop now, I want to test it but in an hour I'm suppose to race then do Xbox... so don't want to start another game, because I won't quit. lol
              Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

FYI, skipping the intro movie is fairly pointless, as during the movie the game is loading resources. Skipping it just gives you a black screen for the same time it takes when you hit escape as soon as the movie starts until it finally cuts off. It doesn't get you to the first menu any quicker.

Comment

Yes but for some reason I prefer the black screen then having to press esc and watching the same bit of movie over and over. I don't know if I am the only one I.
                  If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X