attacking and defending

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attacking and defending

So i was playing on Noble level and was in the scenario that lets you play what Earth actually looks like. I was germany and had spread into present-day Spain and was up agaisnt the Romans.

I had my cavalry and cannons set up to move into enemy borders and take out the capital first, while i had 4 grenadiers (good defenders) holed up in my closest city on defense. When the war started, i sent all my cavalry and cannons to the outskirts of Rome. Its useless to attack a city unless their defense rating is 0%, so i skipped my cavalry turns until the cannons did their job. In the meantime, the Romans did a counter attack on the city i was defending, and didnt send any siege weapons. 15 units attacked my city in one turn, and i lose ONLY ONE grenadier in my defending city. I then proceeded to attack the capital without losing much because the defenses were all destroyed. It seems that once a citys defense is 0%, its like the enemy is defending a normal tile and only get a minimal advantage.

Anyway, moral of the story is that if you can make the enemy attack you and let you defend a little bit, thatll lighten the load on your attacking force. And, always destroy a cities defenses before moving in because you will just lose too many men taking a city that has a 20% defense rating or higher.

Re: attacking and defending

Originally posted by TG_Santa
    So i was playing on Noble level and was in the scenario that lets you play what Earth actually looks like. I was germany and had spread into present-day Spain and was up agaisnt the Romans.

I had my cavalry and cannons set up to move into enemy borders and take out the capital first, while i had 4 grenadiers (good defenders) holed up in my closest city on defense. When the war started, i sent all my cavalry and cannons to the outskirts of Rome. Its useless to attack a city unless their defense rating is 0%, so i skipped my cavalry turns until the cannons did their job. In the meantime, the Romans did a counter attack on the city i was defending, and didnt send any siege weapons. 15 units attacked my city in one turn, and i lose ONLY ONE grenadier in my defending city. I then proceeded to attack the capital without losing much because the defenses were all destroyed. It seems that once a citys defense is 0%, its like the enemy is defending a normal tile and only get a minimal advantage.

Anyway, moral of the story is that if you can make the enemy attack you and let you defend a little bit, thatll lighten the load on your attacking force. And, always destroy a cities defenses before moving in because you will just lose too many men taking a city that has a 20% defense rating or higher.

Its best to draw out your defenders because remember that every successful defense a unit has they get the promotion bonus which makes it even harder for you to be successful taking their city.
    Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

One of the strategies i use, I take all their assets away and surround their city. Block any reinforcements going to the city and bombard the city. Once it's ready to attack they will have no production or food to build units in that city and you can take it with much more ease.

- -

Comment

when the "cultural defense bonus" is at 0% there is still a defense bonus for walls/castle and the fortify bonus/city defense bonus the units may have got.
        former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

My strategy is similar to Vulcan's, but not so war based.

I played Hitler the other night with the Germans. Decided I would take over Japan because they were being idiots.

I stationed infantry on every tile outside all of their borders towards my city. Started a defensive pact with America. Taunted, pushed, pulled, slapped, made-fun-of, kicked, poked, snorted-at, and spit-on Japan as much as I could untill they got pissed enough to declare war.

| |
          | | | |
          | J | | |
          | | | G |
          | | | |

| | | |
          | A |
          | |
          | |

J = Japan, G = Germany, A = America
          America declared war as soon as Japan did. They moved north into their southern cities while I focused onto their northern cities. America had Calvalry, I had Panzers and Artillery and Infantry.

Closed the gap on their capital city. Offered them peace if they gave me all their gold, resources etc. They agreed. I canceled the defensive pact, made peace, and America finished them off.

:D

Another thing that is fun is starting a world war. Treat everyone VERY kindly. Trade everything you can with them. Make everyone see you as friendly.

Then... talk them all into attacking each other.

Sit back, relax, and watch the carnage.

-Mom
          Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

LoL, I enjoy doing that too Mom. It's also fun to demand a tribute of as much gold as you can get right before you declare war on someone.

Btw, what's the quickest anyone has won the space race? Just curious, my 3rd time through the game I had it on default settings and managed to win the space race by about 1960, and also managed to have 2 legendary cultures by then as well. Afterwards I chose one more round, built about 30 stealth bombers and made them call me God as my Tanks ravaged their lands.

Comment

Here I go again.. bumping old threads :P.

I just finished a game on 'Prince' difficulty, that went all the way to 2010. I tell you it was intense the entire time.

So, I start out in a very interesting location, with a long, narrow ocean inlet near my capitol, and discover almost immediately, that Ghengis Khan is directly to my south.

Wonderful.

I quickly wrap up my scouting, and immediately gear towards the inevitable keshik attack. I notice that the Khan has a very limited culteral boundary, and is being squished badly by Bismark, Victoria, and myself. So this means, of course, that after he's done building the few buildings he needs, he's just going to sit around creating craploads of horsies and war elephants.

So the Khan attacks, but he attacks too late. I've already got steel and machinery, and the Cho-Ko-Nu are starting to churn out at a very nice rate. My heroic epic is already working, and I've got some nice upgrades because of my civic choices (theology and vassalage, I think, plus I have the pyramids, so I'm using sufferage.. and really churning out a ton of troops very quickly.

I stack about 10 cho-ko-nu, 3 longbows, 2-3 macemen, and 2-3 catapults on a hill overlooking the Khan's only horses. A single longbowman guards it. I think you all know what happens next. After his horses were cut off, the Khan fell easily.

So I took his space, and started making nice with all my neighbors. I had a REDICULOUS amount of luxury etc goods in my empire (like 15 or something crazy like that) so I just gave something to everyone I liked for free. Basically Asoka, Bismark, and Masu-Mansu. Victoria was too weak for me to really care about.

Time moved on, and my infrastructure stabalized, and I started making LEAPS in technology above the AI. Before long, I had a full fleet of destroyers, battleships, and about 8 (literally) transports teaming with level 2-3 marines, and also several other transports filled with tanks, artillery, etc. Masu had similar, or better tech, but not nearly enough to compare in strength as me. Same went for Bismark, Victoria, and Asoka. Toku, on the other hand, was a miserable warmonger and still was fighting with sticks and stones.

So Toku attacks Masu. I actually didn'y fully realize how weak Toku was at that point or I would never have jumped in, but I saw an easy kill, and when Masu asked for me to join in the war, I readily agreed. Toku's empire fell in about 5 turns, but as each turn passed, I started realizing that the computer opponents were competing a disturbing amount of Space Shuttle pieces. I was already on my way to building my own, but hadn't even finished Apollo project.

I let all my marines rest up (none had died :D) and readied my transports around the two biggest cities in the Malanese empire and similarly in the Indian empire (these of course were the people who were beating me to space, and also... my best allies. I actually have noticed a disturbing trend in my games where I befriend two countries, help them crush the opponents, and then brutally backstab them when they're least expecting it). So I dropped some spies, found out where the biggest space shuttle pieces were, and here come the marines! GOD HAS A #$!ON FOR MARINES BECAUSE THEY KILL EVERYTHING THEY SEE!!)

Dheli and Timbuktu, and two other major cities (one of each opponent) fell in the first round, and were burned to the ground. The next round, two more cities in each empire burned. I pulled my troops back home to swat back the Malanese destroyers and carriers that were making my Space shuttle (which was now 15 turns from competion) go slower.. my people in the capitol were PISSED about the war, and starving.

Time goes by, and I hang back to defend my borders. I call peace with Asoka, but Masu isn't hearin' it. Eventually my people stop the war hate (got Eifel tower for happiness) and I am sure I have won. The SS is 3 turns from competion when Victoria out-of-the-blue wins a diplomacy victory. It really wasn't out of the blue at all actually. As my marines cleaned their rifles, just before the big 'et tu Brute' I looked grimly at the all-green diplomatic statue of every country. In other words, everyone was friends with everyone. Worse yet, Masu and Asoka had a defensive pact. So I knew that if it came down to a real vote, I it would be bad :P.

LOL.

I didn't reload a further back game or anything because I thought it was a truly novel ending to a great game that I felt dubious about my deserving to win, even if I was only THREE TURNS from winning. On a different note, the Cho-Ko-Nu and marines are by FAR my favorite units. The cho-ko-nu does a really decent amount of collateral damage for such a primitive and relatively inexensive unit. Just get like 12 of them and I pretty much guarantee you'll crush any defender (with catapults, of course).

Wow that was a lot longer than I thought it was gonna be. :D gnite

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Good Post. Enjoyed Reading It.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse