This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoH Learning Center

Seems like there's been a lot of people lately trying to get back into CoH or trying CoH multiplayer for the first time (or second or third time). So, I thought I'd compile a comprehensive list of links to help people cut down on the level of frustration that comes with getting your feet wet in the online CoH world. The following links are from a variety of websites that have greatly helped me improve my game and eliminate a LOT of frustration from online play (I know why I'm losing now instead of just getting blindly pounded into the turf).

Obviously, this is a work in progress, and I'll continue to update it as I find new articles. Feel free to post questions or your own tips in this thread.

The Basics
    Here's some links that explain the basics of CoH multiplayer, its units, and its factions.
    • Company of Heroes Demo - Haven't picked up CoH yet? Here's the free demo, which includes two storyline missions and one skirmish map.
    • CoH Command Trees - A detailed explanation of Company and Doctrine powers and abilities.
    • Guide to Unit Ranges - In a nutshell - Volks are most effective at longer range, Rifles are most effective closer up. And green cover is a must!
    • Sniper Guide - A good how-to on a difficult unit to master, the Sniper.

Strategy - 1v1
    Here's a rundown of popular strategies classified by faction. I included some of my favorites.

Americans
    • Unit Guide - M3 Halftrack - A very versatile unit, especially with the quad .50 cal upgrade. It's like a mobile HMG that can reinforce troops in the field.
    • Unit Guide - Jeep - An extremely useful unit early in the game, use to chase off capping Pioneers and Snipers.
    • Bombing Run Guide - Put Airborne Company's bombing run to good use with this guide from GR.org.

Wehrmacht
    • Barbed Wire tips - Some pics on various maps on how to gain early game advantage w/ strategic barbed wire placement.

British
    • Base Placement Guide - Some very good tips from Sepha for placing your command trucks. Illustrations on various maps are included.
    • Tommies Field Guide - An outstanding guide on all of the facets of the British Infantry Section, including the ins-and-outs of all the upgrades.

Panzer Elite
    • Operation Blitzkrieg - A great guide by Sepha on how to utilize some of the units in the Panzer Elite.
    • Countering Snipers - Snipers can really rain on your parade as PE. Here's how to counter them.

Strategy - Team
    Here's a list of team strategies.

Replays
    The best way to get better is to watch the pros.
    • CoH Multiversion - A utility which allows you to watch replays recorded in previous versions of the game. You must check IN THE THREAD (not just on the first post) to find the latest version. There may not be one available if the game was recently patched.
    • Replay Analyzer - An excellent stand-alone tool to analyze CoH replay files. Shows everything from chat log, player information, unit commands, structures, and more.
    • Replay Renamer - An executable file, that when placed in your playback folder and run will rename all of your replays to the name you saved them as in-game. Handy.

Performance
    Links to hints on improving CoH performance on your PC.

Community
    Here are some forums where you might find answers to your burning CoH questions.
    • GameReplays.org CoH Forums - A mature bunch for the most part. People are constantly posting unit guides, map strategies, etc... and are very responsive to questions from beginners. This is where most of the "pros" hang out as well. :)
    • RelicNews.com CoH Forums - Another good place to find information, although not as active or well-organized as GR.org is.
    • PlanetCoH Forums - Not as active or helpful as the previous two communities I mentioned, but still worth scanning the forum for tips if you're so inclined.

Links
    • Tales of Heroes - A great video and audio podcast that is informative and entertaining. The shoutcasts are especially useful.
    • PlanetCoH - A decent site with some good information. Not as useful as GR.org is though.
    Last edited by Evo<^|SiNz|^>; 03-26-2009, 05:02 PM. Reason: Updated, removed outdated links
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: CoH Learning Center

great post Evo thanks a lot!!!!
    PSN= Lethal_420

Comment

Great post! Thanks for putting it together.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Thanks a pile, I was looking for something just like this!
        [volun]

Comment

Bumping this - I've added quite a bit of stuff since I started the post, especially in the strategy sections.

Comment

Very nice.. I was looking to pick up the game this week sometime

Comment

After rifling through some of these and looking through the manual I still can't figure out what good supply yards do when decreasing upkeep. Upkeep can have different definitions depending on what game you're playing, and this game doesn't seem to define it, does anyone know what upkeep does?

Comment

That's a good question. I'd like to know as well..

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

The manpower rate says how much MP you get in one minute. The manpower rate is determined by your population. If you have a low population and your enemy has a high population, you will gain more manpower than your enemy in a certain period of time. I think this system is to keep a struggling player alive. You can also get a +3 manpower by having a strategic point, but thats such a ridiculously small amount that its not worth worrying about, especially since you need strategic points to link up your munitions and fuel resources anyway.

As for the supply depot, i never use the upkeep upgrades. They cost way too much fuel. 80 fuel is a HUGE amount to use on an upgrade that doesnt increase your manpower by a gigantic percentage.

Comment

Suggestion:
                    Add information on where to get user created maps. Great way to expand the game and keep it fresh.
                    -33rd- BaneII
                    Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Seeing as how I am getting back into things, I took it upon myself to update the Learning Center today. I fixed all the bad links I could find, and added a bunch of new links to content, so check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post

As for the supply depot, i never use the upkeep upgrades. They cost way too much fuel. 80 fuel is a HUGE amount to use on an upgrade that doesnt increase your manpower by a gigantic percentage.
                        It's best to use that upgrade when going infantry co. or simply a heavy infantry force. Each unit you have on the field reduces your manpower income, why not offset the manpower shortage you will have to endure by buying at least one, if not both upgrades here? The second upgrade is only manpower if memory serves, so it's a no-brainer if you got the first upgrade. This upgrade really shines when going infantry company with AT guns and a HT as your only "armored" units since you will have TONS of fuel left over anyway so the fuel isn't really an issue it's always manpower. The manpower cost involved in this upgrade pays itself back in roughly 3 minutes and keeps paying for itself for the rest of the game.

This upgrade is not advisable if you are going with a vehicular based army, as you will need the fuel elsewhere.

Comment

Update: Added British and Panzer Elite factions to strategy section, along with the latest guides from the experts at GR.org.

Comment

Hey guys, I actually have been playing vCOH for a while and recently the beta.

By play I mean I actually watch about as many replays as I play games due to my inability to convince anyone else to get the game. That along with my previous discouragement with the lack of fixes for blatant bugs.

Now that relic seems to be more on top of things I was hoping I could get into some games with you guys.

My nick on RO is B0nemachine <-notice the "0", some jerk stole my name.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                              Hey guys, I actually have been playing vCOH for a while and recently the beta.

By play I mean I actually watch about as many replays as I play games due to my inability to convince anyone else to get the game. That along with my previous discouragement with the lack of fixes for blatant bugs.

Now that relic seems to be more on top of things I was hoping I could get into some games with you guys.

My nick on RO is B0nemachine <-notice the "0", some jerk stole my name.
                              There's a handful of us that play on a not so regular basis with each other. Assuming you downloaded Teamspeak, feel free to contact me. I'm usually hovering around the 33rd Channel after 9:30 p.m. Pacific Time. Also, we're having a few matches this weekend. There may be at least one drop out, so if you're around and want to get a game in, feel free to add your name to the list.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X