X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TGU: CoH Clinic

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
    Feel free to stop by on Wednesdays.
    (..)Right now though my time is too valuable to commit 3 hours to gaming if no one is going to participate.
    I totally understand that. What a shame no one else jumped aboard such a great idea. I will try asking friends, tho nobdy here in germany might be fluent enough in english to really be able. I'll try anyway.

I will definintely be around next wednesday, if no higher powers interfere.

(If we are so few people, maybe even a "comp stomp" vs expert AI opponents may make sense? Or is that SO far beyond your lvl it doesnt make sense at all? E.g. playing a 3v3 map vs 3 PCs as 2 humans is something I could imagine to be challenging AND instructive. Just a thought.)

Thanks for your time
    Wonko

Comment

It can be challenging, but the computer AI is so formulaic that it is rarely instructive. Hybrid and I have been playing 2v2's and 3v3's against human opponents... last week's was really good because we had two tight matches, this week we got rolled in a 3v3 (partly because our partner had an obsession with building defenses everywhere). I got frustrated and quit after that, but by then it was like 8:30 anyway and I can rarely go 2.5 or 3 hours in a row playing CoH because it can be such an intense game!

There are a few people here that do play CoH, but I have a feeling their skill level is far above the need to be instructed in a clinic like this. I was hoping some of the people who have the game but are struggling online would get involved to help take some of the frustration out of playing. There's a thread in this forum listing everyone's Relic online profile name, so you can add all of us and see us when we come online.

I'll definately be around next Wednesday though and I'm sure Hybrid will be too. Join us in teamspeak if you'd like to play a few matches.
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

im on everyday, redy to play to.
        |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
        100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Hi,

I'll be around in around 1.5 hours, that is 1700 New York time if I figured it out correctly. If any of you knows when you will be available tonight, a post would be great. I will leave my teamspeak on even though I'm in the other room, so maybe I will be able to hear you that way, or you could say hello on ICQ: 210746664.

See ya!

W0nk0

Comment

Bump...Evo- U still hosting CoH clicics? I'm interested, I put down the game for a while but I'm back in action. I logged in more hours playing CoH this weekend then I want to admit. I'm hooked again, but I could use some pointers. Although I mostly played against the computer this weekend, I did manage to play some quick random online matches. To my surprise I won 5 and lost 2. My wins were mostly the result of lucky timing on my part. Come grab me on the 33rd channel if you or anyone else wants to play a few multiplayer rounds with quick debriefings afterwards to go over what we did right or wrong in the matches.

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
            Because of some interest from the community here, I'd like to try to set up a once-a-week clinic for Company of Heroes.....

Comment

Well, I'm not playing CoH very much anymore, but you guys are welcome to try to get something together. I took a break after it got a bit too competitive for my tastes. Once I reached rank 5, it was like every match that I had to rush to wire the same choke points, and go through the same routine it seemed like to win every time.

Anyway, I'm sidetracking here. I got a bit discouraged with the clinic after it was just me, Hybrid, and wonko every week. That's not to say we weren't productive. But it would have been nice to have a few more participants.
              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I can sympathize with your thoughts about CoH being a little repetitive after a while, especially with relatively few maps to play over and over again. I consider myself in the honeymoon phase again after not playing it for a while. Watching Santa’s replays in the CoH replay thread also got me excited about trying out some new things (BTW great games Santa- I’ll post my saves for you to give me some pointers if you’ve got the time). With that said, I’m sure you and a few others are on to bigger and better games, but if y’all want to pop back on CoH for a little bit feel free to contact me on TS. Also, Bane and Dark Viper mentioned there are new user maps available for those that want to try something different.

Comment

Im waiting for the next patch because the last one caused too many balance problems imo. So when that comes out ill probably start playing and posting again. But if you want to post some of your replays ill be more than happy to give ya some pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                    Im waiting for the next patch because the last one caused too many balance problems imo. So when that comes out ill probably start playing and posting again. But if you want to post some of your replays ill be more than happy to give ya some pointers.
                    same, germany is horrible now.
                    |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
                    100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                      Sounds good man. Your mentioning the patch miffing with the game balance mechanics explains my lucky wins this weekend as Allies. I managed to save one game which I'll PM you first thing tomorrow.

Comment

Most of the patches have had a slight favor for the allies. It was easy enough to overcome though, as it often just required repetitive strategies that the allies could be prepared for because they saw it every game. In previous patches, the basic axis strategy was T1-T3 with Blitz. This countered everything the allies had well enough, it was just very predictable.

In this recent patch, they've opened the door for more axis strategies, so the axis isn't quite as predictable. The thing is, any strategy the axis player uses now is weaker than the allied counter. As long as the allied player can adjust to whatever the axis player is doing, and thats not too difficult, he has an enormous advantage.

After that last patch, i can safely say this is the worst series of patches for any game as far as balance tweaks go. I saw an interesting analysis of every tweak the devs have made a while back from someone on the GR.org forums. Every single tweak that was suggested by the community was needed and helped in balancing the game. Nearly every tweak the devs or beta testers came up with out of their butts was detrimental. For instance, the recent motorcycle nerf was used because one of the beta testers went 50-5 with a "biker gang" strategy. Im pretty sure the guy had to be lying, because that strategy is not effective at all. You have no capping power, and they weren't particularly powerful before anyway. All this nerf did was make the axis that much weaker in the early game.

Comment

For 1v1 games I disagree with you Santa. T1/T2/T4/Def is so strong if you can get and hold a good position, it just takes more "micro" then "macro". You have to keep those 2 MG's/2 Volks/2 Pioneers/bike alive up thru T2. If you know you are "racing" him,(how much resources he has coming in makes knowing this easy) T2 vs. TD/MP, make an AT gun first then Gren squads.

You simply have to ignore VP's until you have around 100-150 point's left. By then if you are doing the strat right you have a flak gun up and have switched over to T4 production. T3 is only useful anymore IMO if the Ally went WSC<>airborne, and who does that?

BL is without question the toughest map for axis currently, but the other 4 1v1 maps you can win using defensive. You will be playing "come from behind" most of the time, but when you finally do start going offensive he wont be able to stop you as your army will be so well-balanced and upgraded.

That isn't to say you still won't loose, and I do agree that the allies are a bit strong currently. Allies have a little more room for error currently then the axis does, but I'm sure they will adjust it in a future patch.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X