Frustrating problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating problem

I've not had this problem with any other game... and it's caused me 3 very frustrating losses since the stats wipe. If I play CoH after a long downtime from gaming (long = a day or two), about midway through my first CoH match the game slows to a crawl, like 3 FPS and I can't recover even if I alt+tab out and back in again. After a reboot, it runs fine. I can play 6 matches in a row with no problems at all.

This only seems to happen when I haven't used my PC for a day or two, and the first thing I do is fire up CoH. I woke up this morning and automatched after not playing CoH the last two days. I was pushed all the way back into my base on Ango, then came back to recapture both fuels and all 3 victory points... of course that's when the game slowed to a crawl and I had to quit.

This doesn't appear to be a heat issue, it's not any higher than any other time I play CoH (or any other game that puts my CPU and GPU under load). Any ideas? For now, I'll just have to reboot before playing from now on to avoid pointless losses. I can't remember what my settings are in-game, but maybe there's one that's causing the probs... Bah!

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 128mb w/ Arctic Cooling unit
    ASUS A8N-SLI
    1GB Corsair XMS (512x2)
    SB Audigy 2 ZS

PS - I don't run any antivirus or spyware applications in the background on my computer when I game. The only programs I had in the background today were Steam and Xfire, and this happens regardless of whether Steam is running.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: Frustrating problem

When you say 1-2 days without gaming, what is your rig doing? Are you shut down or are you in sleep mode? Check your sleep/power saver settings.

I've never explored it, but I think the sleep and power modes in Windows have memory leaks. Today's LCDs don't need screen savers, so I just leave my computer on and turn off the displays if I'm not shutting down.

The system I just replaced had 4 GB of RAM and I still found games ran better if I reboot every time I wanted to launch a game. It's just good practice to reset the memory bank: clear the pipes so to speak.

Comment

The PC just sits there idle, I don't use sleep mode. I have power saver for the monitor, so it shuts off after an hour of idling.

Perhaps I'll just get into the habit of rebooting if it saves me the frustration. It's not even that I care that much about my stats, but after playing a hard fought game for 20 or 30 minutes and having to shut down right when you get the upper hand is amazingly frustrating to me!! I usually don't get too worked up over video games, but man, this just about spoiled my day today!
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Thats weird.
        |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
        100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Simple solution is to turn your computer off if you aren't using it. Windows has a problem with memory leaks and without wiping your memory (ie. turning off the computer or rebooting) you'll run into performance issues. So you arent gaining anything leaving the computer on other than running up the electric bill.
          -33rd- BaneII
          Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...