Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR COH Games 5-29-07

Tues, 5/29, approx. 5-8 p.m. PST
    Participants: myself, Freeno, Santa, Tempus, Firestarter(???-Forgive my short term memory loss), HaveANiceday.

1st round was a 2v2 with NiceDay and myself on one team against Tempest and the Fire guy. This was the 1st time NiceDay and I played together. We had a good start by controlling the resource points in the north with NiceDay setting up barriers to the southwest and me holding off both guys in the southeast. Tempest and Fire guy’s experience overwhelmed my forces about 5 mins into the game.

First, their team deployed a sniper early on and used him very effectively. I just couldn’t get that dang sniper! Then they established forward bases allowing quick reinforcements to deploy directly at the front line. In contrast, w/o the benefit of a forward base, my units had to hoof it half way across the map before they could get to the front line.

I did my best to push them back but that dang sniper kept picking off my guys and I couldn’t take him down. Tempus and the Fire guy’s experience with Allies team paid off as they seemed to tech up pretty fast by deploying tanks on both the southeast and southwest ends fairly quickly. It didn’t take long for NiceDay and me to be pounced by their armor. In retrospect, my fatal mistake was that I was concentrating on the short term gain at the southeastern frontline/battle ground when I should have been focusing on the long term goal of teching up to match/defend against their inevitable armor columns. It was still a very fun round and I was pleased to have played with NiceDay- great partner, once we get more experience I’m sure we’d be a team to be reckoned with.

After Tempus and the Fire guy logged off for the evening, we had another great game with Freeno and myself on one team and Santa and NiceDay on the other.

Quick background- Santa and Freeno hands down are the Tactical Gamer COH Dream Team. I’ve been playing w/ these guys for the last few weeks and noticed how the two of them operate together. I think I’ve played on their team for about eight or so online matches and I believe we only lost one- primarily because Santa’s computer crashed at the most pivotal point of the match. Santa and Freeno have been playing together so long now that they seem to communicate without communicating at all. Like any good team-Santa and Freeno know what each other is building, complement each other’s units so that they have a good variety, and they react to situations together rather than individually.

With that said, Santa and Freeno went toe to toe against each other in the north while NiceDay and I fought battles in the south. After many large scale skirmishes for control points and resources, and with several turn the tide kind of battle moments, Santa’s forces managed to destroy Freeno’s base. It was an intense 30-45 min round that pitted two great players and two inexperienced players against each other. Santa and Freeno’s were both exhausted after the match, not to mention me and NiceDay. You can download this games playback courtesy of Santa in the post your playbacks thread.

For our last match, we decided to not go against each other; instead we decided to combine our strengths (and weaknesses) to match up with random players online. We played a good 40 min 4v4 round. Our strategy was to have Santa and Freeno secure the center fuels points and me and NiceDay defend the south and north ends respectively. Our opponents had good player stats so we knew they would be a challenge. Santa and Freeno’s units were like ants swarming in the middle for their opening move. I was concentrating on my control points, when I heard Freeno say “pull back pull back!!” on Teamspeak. It was the ol’ bait an’ switch tactic. Freeno and Santa rushed their engineers up and baited their enemy’s units to meet them. Once the opposing units committed to attacking Freeno and Santa’s engineers, they move their units back, pulling them right into their machine gunner’s nest. This move was brilliant to watch as it effectively scattering their opponents and mowing them down in the process. I like to think that these guys meant to do that… ;)

The rest of the round resulted in great team play and coordination on our part. We were able to make a push on the southern end together. Our units dominated their defenses and eventually their bases fell one after another. Their strength was in their use of artillery and AT’s. There was a slight lull in the game right before we decided to make our big push, their team managed to send artillery bombardments right and left of us. The graphics and the sounds produced by these artillery drops are sooooo impressive but not when they’re raining down on your tanks!

That’s my AAR – Whew, I started writing and just couldn't stop- fun times and I’m looking forward to the next great game.
    Last edited by NorCalRoach; 05-30-2007, 08:35 PM.

Re: AAR COH Games 5-29-07

Its great to see you guys playing again.
    |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
    100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Some great games that evening :)

Comment

[totallyjokingbecauseIhavenothingbettertodoatwork:)]Well I do declare someone had some free time at work to type this... "graphic" explanation of words.[/totallyjokingbecauseIhavenothingbettertodoatwork]

I will be on the same time tonight anyone wishes to join up for a game.

Comment

Is there a "regular game night" for CoH?

Comment

Morgan, I am not aware of any specific game night.
            I have been fortunate to find people online when I get home from work @~10PM Central. Though others may be online before that. I can only recommend to keep a look out for people in the CoH channel.

Comment

Nice report, NorCal.

I play a couple of times a week with Twisted. We usually get in the CoH channel, so it's always a good idea to check it out (or go in and idle).

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I will be online for a couple of hours more in case anyone would like to get a game on.

Comment

We had a late night rendezvous at approximately 9:30 p.m. PST tonight with Gabriel, SignalHacker, HaveANiceDay, Santa, Freeno and Myself. Don't hestitate to ask us to play COH if you see any of us on TS.

Comment

DANG! We had a infantry only map.. that lasted 2hrs and 38 min!!

Comment

OMG yea....2+ hours of my life I won't get back and a round that eventually ended with sync errors for everyone. Note to self, do not join infantry only, annihilate games...Santa, consider yourself lucky your game froze when it did.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X