Pio spam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pio spam

Has anyone played against/used this tactic? Basically, the axis player builds 20 Pioneer squads, a KKC, and buys three star veterancy for them. I guess this is the new controversial tactic, and it seems like it's being used a lot.

I haven't beaten it yet because my micro skills are rusty as hell, but it seems the consensus is to go BAR Riflemen, WSC, MP, Quads, and try to split the big blob of pios up by running your units all over the field at the same time. I'm getting overrun though, even 3 Rifle squads with BAR's are overmatched by the pios, and going BAR's slows my tech too much to get a fast quad out. By the time my quad gets out, he has Storms w/ Shreks out on the field. It's not long until a StuH comes out, and if you last long enough, a Tiger.

There must be an easier counter, but I haven't seen it.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: Pio spam

There have been replays posted where top players are being beaten by level 7s using this strat. I personally havent played against someone good trying this strat, but if it really is effective thats sad. Its almost like playing Warcraft 3 and finding out that Peons are the most effective unit in the game. Uhg. If it is found to be overpowered (and even if it isnt, theyll be nerfed just because its not what the devs would want) the pios will be even MORE inferior to engineers making those first battles that much more difficult :(

As for beating it, your plan sounds like a good one. They are only effective in numbers, so split your forces to attempt to get as much fuel as possible. Also, "kiting" them with riflemen sounds like a good idea because the pios weapon is only good at close range.

Comment

I don't recommend WSC at all. You need riflespam. Get BARs/nades and go airborne for some AT.

I think it's completely OPed to be honest. If you go Blitz it's just amazingly good. The thing that makes it so powerful is that Axis has lower upkeep then the allies. So those Pioneers barely scratch your MP income.

They don't need to nerf the Pioneers just include a heavier penalty after say 5 squads.

I have to admit I do enjoy it though. Nice seeing "ZOMG Axis is OP" posts. Hell it even made me reinstall the game to see what it is all about. I have only played against it once unfortunately. Completely overwhelms WSC+Raxx. From what I have seen with it I would say it is far more effective then Volks+MG42s.

Please keep in mind that this is all based off of one game.

I will probably watch a few replays right now.

It's a sad game if the best Axis strats involve not building base structures.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Interesting post by Anik3tos:

http://www.gamereplays.org/community...owtopic=271137

Originally posted by Anik3tos
        Seeing as beta is almost their I wanted to have this done before it. I wont play COH original for a while so I want to have this discussion "if its overpowered or not" dealt with. In my opinion its overpowered and I myself have abused it quite a lot (I have an account with 44-0). And none of the games went so far that I actually had to use a tiger, it always ended with me winning on VP's or me totally abliderating their base. The closest person that came to beating it was probably Nystrom but he eventually lost to vet3 storms.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

If it becomes a repetitive strategy where more axis players spam pios than they do build volks/mgs its going to get very boring very quickly. Sepha said it best in that thread that even if its not totally unbalanced, its stupid enough that Relic will probably patch it in someway so that the game is played correctly.

The most interesting aspect of all of this is just how many copy cats are in the CoH community. Its absolutely amazing. Way back when, everyone followed the top players and did airborne vs blitz. Then it went armor vs blitz. Then everyone copied golradaers motor pool strategy. All axis players started building medic bunkers and grenadiers. Now finally, everyones copying bonedog's pio strategy, which is really weird because i don't think anyone knew him until he started spamming every single GR.org thread with the pio strat. I think all the people that copy strategies are missing out on the funnest part of this game-- adapting to totally different strategies by making your own strats.

Comment

I've been a victim of this wicked strategy- I hate hate hate it. Worst part is that it seems like more and more people are using it lately! The one time I came close to breakin' the cycle was by spamming jeeps myself. I don't usually go with jeeps but I just so happened to be experimenting with a strategy and immediately recognized an PIO spam coming. I had a group of jeeps just pecking at em them while backing up everytime the PIO's committed to attacking the jeeps. In the end though, it didn't work and it was a waste of my time playing that way, totally unsatisfying.

Comment

Heh heh... just had some good giggles playing against the CPU with only PIO's. Took me 3 tries to win, and I have to admit that I pulled out a tiger ace to beat back the armored cars toward the end. I controlled most of the map, but he still managed to get 3 armored cars out and push me back hard. I'm sure I could do more effective stacking of my pioneers with practice. :)
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

You can beat PIO spam with jeep spam if you micro properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                  If it becomes a repetitive strategy where more axis players spam pios than they do build volks/mgs its going to get very boring very quickly. Sepha said it best in that thread that even if its not totally unbalanced, its stupid enough that Relic will probably patch it in someway so that the game is played correctly.

The most interesting aspect of all of this is just how many copy cats are in the CoH community. Its absolutely amazing. Way back when, everyone followed the top players and did airborne vs blitz. Then it went armor vs blitz. Then everyone copied golradaers motor pool strategy. All axis players started building medic bunkers and grenadiers. Now finally, everyones copying bonedog's pio strategy, which is really weird because i don't think anyone knew him until he started spamming every single GR.org thread with the pio strat. I think all the people that copy strategies are missing out on the funnest part of this game-- adapting to totally different strategies by making your own strats.
                  That is why I gave up on ranked games or even open pub games awhile ago and only play in passworded games against people I know. All you have to do is spend 20 minutes reading GR.org before you play ranked or pub games and you will see what people will use against you, the current "flavor of the month strat".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X