Brief AAR 8-2-07

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief AAR 8-2-07

Had a late night rendezvous with HaveANiceDay and IMI. We decided to start off with the hard computer as a warm up, which was good because I was feeling a bit rusty after playing World In Conflict Beta all weekend. The game ended up being 55 mins! We played Hill. IMI set up a pretty good defense on the west side Victory Point with MG squads and Rangers. Added to that, he layered multiple paths with mines just in case. It turned out he never lost his side- nice job! NiceDay and I decided to go Armor (my lesser known doctrine). We had several back and forth skirmishes on the hill and I could never quite secure the east side. We even had two Pershings, but the computer was quick to roll out some Flack Cannons which limited our quick assualts. Too risky for our tanks. 45 mins later we pulled the win. GG guys! I am definitely out of practice.

Re: Brief AAR 8-1-07

Yeah, HaveA and IMI and I played a couple of 3v3 with less than desirable results. But, I feel like I'm getting back into the groove of things. My macro and micro are both just... all over the place right now. I need to focus in and re-learn the build orders and companies for allies. Or maybe I should start w/ Axis, since they were never my strong suit.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

If you are out of practice with the game, I personally suggest playing both sides. (which is completely different mind you from going both ways!) ;)

The hardest aspect of the game to get a good feel for, but yet one of if not the most important aspects of any RTS game is getting a feel for what your opponent is doing with his resources, and prognosticating what type of enemy force you will be facing, and preparing for it properly. Are you "ahead" or "behind" in tech is one of the least asked yet most important questions in this game. The more comfortable you feel playing as either side, the better to get a "feel" for what your enemy is able to do with the resources he controls which makes it easier to have counters. The most important question to ask is who is controlling the fuel, as that is the limiting factor to either sides tech choices.

I've personally found that evaluating my position compared to my opponents always gave me the most information when I considered where each of us stood in the resource department. Who has the fuel? Are they OP'ed? Can I do something about that in the short-term, and if not, what units/upgrades should I expect to see and how should I go about preparing for that? What command doctrine best accentuates the units I am going to make? I found that I play my best when I don't get married to a specific doctrine, and instead adjust my doctrine based on the resource situation and what units I think I will need to win.

Comment

Good advise as usual Morganan!

Comment

Re: Brief AAR 8-2-07

Thanks for the advice, Morg. I need practice with Axis desperately.

As for last night, I know what I did wrong. I completely mismanaged resources, had floating resources, and didn't do a good job of fighting battles at the micro level. In once case, I was head to head vs. a Tier 2 Axis opponent desperately trying to get to vehicles, so instead of going BAR rifles or building a WSC (in hindsight, WSC would have owned), I built a Supply Yard so I could tech to MP. Well, I only got to 45 fuel in my coffer before the match ended, so obviously no MP. Had I gotten BARs or built a WSC, I could have countered the Grens, Storms, Snipers, and Mortars that were overwhelming my rifles and engis EASILY. It just didn't occur to me during the match.

That's my biggest problem right now... I really do know how to react to most situations, but I'm having trouble recognizing what my opponent is doing. Hindsight is 20-20, but the signs are usually there during the match what I need to do, I just get too flustered or confused to do it.

Oh, and one more thing... I'm thinking about just dedicating myself to learning one doctrine/company at a time, and learning it's strengths and weaknesses first hand against different scenarios. Sure, I'll get beaten a lot, but I think it's the best way to learn how to play w/ each.
          Last edited by Evo<^|SiNz|^>; 08-03-2007, 03:25 PM.
          "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
          He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Re: Brief AAR 8-2-07

The best way to look at the doctrines is to recognize what resources are required to make each doctrine "go", and base your doctrine off your income around the time you get your 2nd command point.

Defensive/infantry Co. Are based around medium to high munitions costs and only minor fuel usage. You fuel will only be used as axis for flak's and upgrades and possibly a HT. Chances are 1 medium fuel point with an OP will be plenty to run this strat. Your munitions costs will be expensive, FtFL, shrek's, flamers, bunker upgrades, registered arty... As allies your fuel is spent on rifleman upgrades, a triage center, a supply depot and motor pool for AT guns. Your munitions will be spent using the upgrades, dropping artillery, Thompson's for your rangers basically. Both of these doctrines are about balanced army's using combined arm's to take map control and obliterating the enemy with long-range artillery. (allies with the longer range)

Blitz/Airborne: These are both doctrines based around being limited in one of your special resource incomes. If you are choked off from munitions but have plenty of fuel, blitz/airborne is the way to go. Copnversely if you are behind on fuel but have munitions to spare, these command tree's give you tools to counter enemy tech superiority.

If you have a good balanced income, then terror/armor is the best choice. Terror can go T2 or T3 and not loose more then they gain unlike defensive or blitz which are locked into either T2 or T3 respectively for the most part. Same goes for armor as you can use a mainly infantry force and just use pershings for your armored punch, or use M-8's/HT's to support your pershings and not loose anything with raid.

When you watch replays, watch them to see who takes better advantage of their command doctrine, as the answer to that question is generally the same as the answer to the question, "who won the game?" To take advantage of your command doctrine you have to have the resource income to be able to use the special tools you are given.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X