Hardest RTS ever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest RTS ever?

I just got this game and uhh............. =| in a skirmish verse AI on Easy I win 1 out of 4 times =( gotta say the graphics are top notch though and it's alot of fun :) my 8800GTX gives great frame rates on maxed settings. any pointers? read santa's guide and it helped a little but not much. as for connecting to the internet. that's giving me issues everytime i try to join it says it couldn't establish a connection to the server. thx.

Re: Hardest RTS ever?

I will post a guide from relic forums, but yeah AI comp is annoying with point captures

Comment

Ya, it isn't very friendly for brand new players. I remember when I started out and I sat quietly in my base for awhile before trying to move my men out to capture territory. By the time I captured my first victory point, the computer was rolling in with flamer trucks followed soon after by tanks.

The AI levels mostly control how easily the computer "goes stupid" and how much the computer groups up units. On easy, as long as you cap lots of ground near the start, the computer will be hopelessly weak, and you can push him back to his base very easily. If you don't control as much of the map as the computer does, you will soon find yourself overrun, no matter what the difficulty.

I play lots of games vs AI on expert, and it is really very easy. I have to force myself not to use tricks in order to keep the games interesting.

Here's a simple way to beat the computer:
      1. Send out a couple of guys to capture territory early. Run around and grab points everywhere. Focus on the resources more than the Victory Points. I usually give up all of the VP's at the start.

2. Get a jeep/motorcycle out early to harrass his early guys and to encourage him not to build a sniper. The computer manages his snipers well, so they are a serious pain. Run this vehicle all over the place to punish his guys, and repair it with your pio/engies.

3. Get a MG unit and stick it in a building where it will seriously restrict the computer's movement. He isn't good at taking these things out, so it will last forever.

4. Capture some points near the MG, then focus all of your efforts on the other side of the map. Capture at least half of the map while your MG slows him down on the other half.

5. Push him back at every opportunity, but retreat if you are outgunned. There's no reason to die when you can regroup and recapture stuff.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Gamespot claims this game has a learning curve of an hour, but thats really inaccurate. It probably takes at least 10 hours to become competent, and then theres a finite amount of time needed to constantly get to the "next level" of play.

Anyway, if you REALLY want to get better, stop playing against the computer. The more you play against the computer, the slower and stupider you will play against an intelligent person. Playing the computer puts you into a repetitive way of playing, where against a human you need to always be able to adjust because everyone plays a little differently. Just hop onto the ranked games, and you'll generally be pitted against someone of your own experience. With trial and error and seeing what works and what doesn't work for you, you'll have a ton of fun and more success quicker. In fact, that was and is the best part of this game for me--constantly readjusting tactics and strategy based on what my opponent does and how well im doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
          ...Anyway, if you REALLY want to get better, stop playing against the computer. The more you play against the computer, the slower and stupider you will play against an intelligent person. Playing the computer puts you into a repetitive way of playing, where against a human you need to always be able to adjust because everyone plays a little differently. Just hop onto the ranked games, and you'll generally be pitted against someone of your own experience...
          This is the best advice. This game was frustrating for me early on. Learning the science behind some of the strategies was difficult for each unit and the tech trees of the Axis and Allies armies in the beginning. Just keep playing and continue reading some of the strategy threads posted by Santa and others. I also recommend watching your replays and replays posted by others. I think this is what really helped me the most in understanding other players tactics before forming my own. Good luck! Hope to see you on the CoH Teamspeak channel.
          Last edited by NorCalRoach; 08-12-2007, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Have you played through the campaign? That's a good way to get familiar with how all the units work on the field on the Allies side. It doesn't give you good practice for playing multiplayer, but it's a good and damn fun primer on the Allies units.
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
              Have you played through the campaign? That's a good way to get familiar with how all the units work on the field on the Allies side. It doesn't give you good practice for playing multiplayer, but it's a good and damn fun primer on the Allies units.
              Precisely. The campaign is by far the best way to learn the strategies and is one of the most well done campaigns I've ever seen in an RTS. Quite enjoyable, I'm playing it again right now.

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

See, I have the opposite view from almost everyone here.

If you cant consistently beat the comp on the expert setting, expect to get just frustrated and PO'ed online and probably break your disk or use it for a beer coaster. If you think the AI comp is annoying with point captures, wait until you get a load of human AI. :)

While the campaign had a good story, it was pathetically easy to beat even on the hardest setting.

As for connecting online, I dont know what to say other then make sure the port(s) are open and you are fully updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
                  See, I have the opposite view from almost everyone here.
                  Nope, I agree with you 100%.

Play against the computer until you get used to it. You need to learn the basics before wasting your time online against someone who is probably a punk with a smurf account who wants to show off the new all-mines-and-barb-wire strategy to his little sister.

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
                    I just got this game and uhh............. =| in a skirmish verse AI on Easy I win 1 out of 4 times =( gotta say the graphics are top notch though and it's alot of fun :) my 8800GTX gives great frame rates on maxed settings. any pointers? read santa's guide and it helped a little but not much. as for connecting to the internet. that's giving me issues everytime i try to join it says it couldn't establish a connection to the server. thx.
                    What I do in every single round, no matter who or what I'm playing against I start the 1st engie squad I get building the 1st tier building. As that is happening I get another engie squad built and assist the first squad to get that building built as fast as possible (against ai you can take your time a bit, but against people you have to spend every second wisely). Once that building is complete I start it building a basic infantry squad and maybe a jeep/bike to respond quickly to any threats or to help out the engies squads. I send the two engies out to grab the points I want most, lock down any important ones that I really don't want to lose, and then (if I'm US) I rifleman spam. If I'm German I really have a mg42 fetish so I build a couple of those and put them in buildings/good cover with lines of sight to either protect my points or deny the enemy neutral points.

If all else fails just go to gamereplays.org or go to the Tales of Heroes website and watch as many of their commentaries as you can. Pretty much all of the Tales of Heroes replays with commentary showcase the top CoH people in the rankings, like Nystrom and such. When I first got the game I just listened to the commentaries on my laptop while I played the game on the desktop and I picked up lots of little tips.

Also, don't go straight for tanks and crap. If you go straight to higher tiers and start pumping out high cost units they are guaranteed to get into a world of hurt because you wont have enough resources invested in the little units to support them.

If you build a building, make sure you use it. Don't build the Supply Depot just to get Shermans and crap, if you're going to build it at least get one of the upgrades from it or else you are wasting the time and resources that went into building it.

If you're like me you only play LAN games with buddies or against the AI. I would play on the internet but I swear every time I select a host either I can't connect to it or theres a technical error or, worst of all, I get in and if it's a teamgame it never fails that my teammate disconnects and leaves me facing the others by myself or I get kicked for no apparent reason.

Online, the game infuriates me. Singleplayer or against buddies on a LAN, it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                      Nope, I agree with you 100%.

Play against the computer until you get used to it. You need to learn the basics before wasting your time online against someone who is probably a punk with a smurf account who wants to show off the new all-mines-and-barb-wire strategy to his little sister.
                      They did away with that on Semois and the other popular maps, didn't they?

I know you no longer have to pay for wirecutters.

Comment

Ya, my point was that if you are completely new to the game, you are going to lose no matter what is thrown at you. It probably won't teach you anything.

Comment

That's not to say wire isn't still effective though. Because it is.
                          "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                          He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X