New beta patch out for OF.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New beta patch out for OF.

This is the one that add's in the 2 original armies and has some balance tweaks. A remade Angoville, along with a new 2v2 and 4v4 map is also included in this update.

This is where the real testing begins imo.

Re: New beta patch out for OF.

I'm curious for some reports in regards to the balance between the factions. I personally don't feel a game of this type can be "well balanced" for more then 2v2 so I am going to keep my judgements to just 2v2's or 1v1's for the "meta-game balance".

I played 4 "pvp" games, 2 1v1's and 2 2v2's.

My side on the left:

Brit vs. Wehrmacht.. A 115-0 win on ango. I started on the bottom and moved my HQ to the munitions beside the lower right VP. 2 trenches and a mortar emplacement initially until I hit T2. My early goal was to dig in and hold the 2 munitions and high fuel point along with 1 victory point which I was able to accomplish. My opponent of course went Terror to use the new king tiger. (Costs no resources but takes 9 VP's, they switched firestorm and Propaganda war's sides on the terror command tree.) He went T3 with a fast rush and then backteched to T2 (due to the Bofor's emplacement.) The Bofor's totally wrecks puma's, especially when you can get a Bren squad to "button" it up. On a side note is I found the nebelwerfer works incredibly well against the Brit emplacements. While troops in trenches cannot be suppressed, they sure do take damage! My strat was basically a slow creep with trenches and fortifications to his base. I went arty doctrine which worked both well and horribly. I found out the down-side of moving your base. He moved right in and capped my old "main" and put a bunker and AT gun where my units got "called in" at, and destroyed my first priest before it got to fire a shot. He steered clear of me early on and didn't test my defenses and just capped anywhere outside of my little sphere.

PE vs. Americans. 65-0 loss on Ango. The G43 upgrade I noticed was essential to fighting off the riflespam. He went barracks/WSC then added in a MP down the road while going Armored Co. It was a pretty good back and forth fluid battle until he broke out AWM and the calliope. I went Tank destroyed doctrine for the hetzer which didnt work out as well as I had hoped. (I knew my opponent would go armor doc) Stickies+circling M-8's+AT gun's exposed that tanks main weakness although the MG on the hetzer did pretty well vs. his riflemen. The map degenerated into a stalemate and I had no answer to his 2 calliope's. Scorched Earth would have been a much better choice with fallschrimager being a close second.

2v2 Brit/American vs. WM/PE on the new map. We got rolled. It turned into royal engineer/infantry co. vs. Defensive/Tank-destroyer. A group of 1 MG 1 Pio(flamer) 2 PG's and 1 HT was way to much to handle early on. I think my partner and I played it kinda stupid and should have gone royal artillery/airborne. The new rangers were VERY effective, moreso then I thought they actually could be. We didn't so much get out-played as we simply didn't have the proper tools to fight the forces our enemy was using against us. More of the Bren carriers would have made a big difference early on, and stupid me didn't start making them until the time of their maximum effectiveness had passed.

2v2 WM/Pe vs. Brit/American on rails-n-metal. We won a hard fought game 76-0. Defensive/scorched earth vs. Artillery/Airborne. Let me maybe be the first to say Bren carriers/riflemen are a force to be reckoned with in the early game. Our opponents had a croc on the field at the (sit down before you read any further) 7 minute mark between OP'ing and secured resources on a fuel point, had an income of 42 fuel/minute off 1 freaking point! Unfortunately for him a MarderIII+shrek'ed Grens made that Croc 45 bonus munitions for me with it getting only a single kill!

I honestly am surprised how well the balance looked in the initial games I played. Each faction requires a different play-style and a different mind-set. More games will be required before I can come to any kind of solid judgement, but my initial perception was the balance isn't to bad.

Comment

I can still connect to about 5% of games during beta making it very hard to even play a few rounds :|

Comment

A few more 1v1's Brit vs. PE on Ango.

Basically the same strat with some minor tweaks for which side I went after initially. (top=left side, bottom=right side). Went for 2 inf sections and capped high mun/fuel and med fuel clumped then moved the truck to the high fuel on either side. Then leut, then Bren with the upped MG. (It rips through mortar/HT's/SC's.) 2 trenches/1 mortar pit built in a loose box formation so the 2 trenches are mutually supporting. Early munitions are for sniper shot, make sure you have 75 muni's for PIAT's the second the sappers come out. Add a 3rd trench down by the med munitions when you have your 3rd inf section out.

Your basic force will be 3 inf sections, 2 PIAT squads, a combo of Bren carrier/stuart (no more then 2 combined) with 2 leut's and 1 capt. Get 2 arty's and a bofor's and a AT gun.

If you want tanks as Brit's, go LHS royal engineer's for extra-improved resource intake. Make firefly's and Crom's.

Otherwise go artillery for supercharged arty and priests. Counter-battery is also good if he went scorched earth for hummel's. Arty doctrine is especially good if you go for the left side of Ango, get supercharged right away and start wasting his base. That forces him to come at your defenses and allows you to move over to the right side without any opposition to get the 2nd VP.

I personally think the pop cap for the 25 lbs. needs to be raised to 8 or possibly 10 and the commando doctrine needs a buff (it's useless atm)

Had a wonderful game on ango where the score was 375-1 when he finally "took control" and I ended up winning a game I honestly had no right winning 122-0. An hour and 25 minute slugfest that surprisingly wasn't an hour of just trading artillery. First time ever I had over 1200 fuel at the end of the match.

Have had a lot of success as PE getting basically PG's, SC's and upgrading for AT nade's and the larger squad sizes. Getting a medic house is a no-brainer, you simply can't win without one as the only place to heal up is your base, which is the last place you can ever afford to be as PE. Tech up to MarderIII's and Assault squad's then fill in upgrade's/buildings to get the panther team while going tank destroyer doctrine. Focus fire on LT's or marksman squads as they will be your downfall. (LT's preferably but that isn't always an option) Any american that goes with rifle-spam will get him his lunch fed to him by your better unit's. Get an even mix of G43's to un-upgraded PG's and a scout car to support and tear him apart. Get that increased squad size right away (first upgrade) as you will need it.

Anyone else with comment's about their games?

Comment

I am still unable to get a game started, the game freezes every time on the loading screen when I'm going into a game. I have my ports open and everything, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Oh well, I'm still having fun with vCoH.
          "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
          He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Hrmm, did you send in bug reports? Did you mess with the graphical controls at all? They only have 1 texture pack in the game currently, setting to something other then that might be your problem. I just left everything at the default and adjusted my resolution until it ran how I wanted.

Comment

Played 5 games so far as PE, and i can safely say we will see some huge nerfs for this army. Their infantry are absolutely amazing, and slaughter everything. Then you throw in the upgrades and vehicles, and you have a very tough, overpowered army.

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
                Hrmm, did you send in bug reports? Did you mess with the graphical controls at all? They only have 1 texture pack in the game currently, setting to something other then that might be your problem. I just left everything at the default and adjusted my resolution until it ran how I wanted.
                Yeah, I was fiddling w/ the graphics settings. I'll default them and try it again later tonight if I'm on.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I think PE vs. Brit's is about right, but Pe infantry does chew through riflespam like a hot knife through butter..

Comment

I played plenty of PE vs Brit and completely tore through british infantry as well. I have yet to play as the brits, but perhaps my opponents were either too nooby or were not using the brits correctly and were being too aggressive.

Im pretty sure the MG42 was supposedly OP in vanilla beta, but then people learned how to counter it. Maybe the same will happen here.

Comment

Yeah I can just go through one map with a squad of AT Panzer Grenadiers!!!!!

If we stay we die if we fight we die what are your orders!!!!

Comment

A lot of the Brit players just don't "get it" and leave their bases parked until T2 or waste time making a lot of units they simply don't need early on. You make a single Tommy squad then move your base, you can get 2 trenches and a 3" pit up and have you Command Truck parked near that location for almost constant reinforcement before the PE has 4 squads.

Try Brit's and tell me what you think, but a slow, methodical push seems to me what Relic was shooting for with them by how their abilities work. Translate your "ghost train" strat to the Brit's, it works. The PE can't really defend, so they have to attack.

Comment

Brit is mobile, and I catch alot of players just leaving there trucks at abse.. look what the computer does, they make a squad and they pack up and move to front lines

Comment

Played my first time as Brits against a good player and lost, but i learned quite a bit.

I was playing Angoville on the north, and assuming they were a defensive team i decided to go for the right side because there are two VPs and see what i could do from there. I won the initial engagements with my HQ near me, setup some rudimentary defenses and soon got engineers for building stuff. I had my buildings spread out too far trying to maximize resources, and cloaked STs with shrecks tore all my buildings up one by one. I realized, too late, that barbwire and mines will be absolutely necessary to keep your base from being destroyed like that.

Ive only played one round, so im still kinda fumbling thorough the units and buildings and how they work. But so far it seems you can either play defensively (kinda like the Werchmact defensive doctrine would play), or somewhat aggressively with your buildings constantly moving around for reinforcement and making slow pushes.

I also haven't played against PE yet as the Brits, so no word on imbalances yet.

Comment

Oh man i love the Brits the more and more i play them. Its all about having a good strategy and plan in mind.

My strategy for the new 1 v 1 map (some french name i cant remember) is to send my HQ and my first 2 squads to the center of the map, and gain extra resources from the center Fuel zone. For the most part, i ignore all resource points behind me for the start because they are low, and my guys are too slow to actually cap them. Anyway, once i lock down the center i push into the main street on the eastern side and send my second building there for reinforcements. Then a carefully placed arty with wire around it as well as all my defenses in front is a great support. Once ive locked down my defense enough, i move some infantry squads to the land strip on the west side of the map and do what i can over there.

Ive found that officers are incredibly important. Do not fight with your infantry guys if you do not have a LT near them. At your main defensive spot (mine being on the main road) have a captain there for his defensive boost. Also, most kinds of defensive buildings, like the MG, trenches, and AT guns are awesome.

Finally, as for doctrine, i love the artillery support doctrine. The officers ability to put down arty is great, especially against buildings. The Priest is also a great addition, especially when you upgrade it with the first ability on the right side of the doctrine tree. I haven't used the overwatch arty, or really undertand how it works, but ive heard people use it to great affect as well.

Overall, im very impressed with OF and am excited about it. A few balance problems from the old teams armies to the new armies exist, but im optimistic they will be worked out because they don't seem game breaking.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X