"port forwarding"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "port forwarding"?

I keep seeing in chat that if you "forward your ports" youll be able to join more games. Then people direct you to portforward.com on how to go about doing this.

But to someone like me, who has absolutely no idea what they are doing or would not know what to look for on that site, it is no help at all. So if someone could give a step by step process for idiots like myself, that'd be great :)

Re: "port forwarding"?

what kind of router/modem do you use? it makes it easier to explain

Comment

Motorola SB5120 SURFboard.

Is that what you needed?

Comment

just make sure port 6112 is open via your internet security program or windows firewall. I don't think this is an issue for you anyway as you have played games already.

Comment

Yes, but been unable to join more games in OF than i was unable to in vanilla. Guess its more likely that its because its a beta.

Comment

Find out what your local IP address is by pressing Windows+R, typing "cmd", pressing enter, typing "ipconfig" in the new window, and pressing enter again. Note the first three numbers.

Chances are, your router's IP address is those first three numbers, a period, and then a one. Since my local IP address is 192.168.0.10, my router's IP address is 192.168.0.1. Log into your router by entering the appropriate IP address in the address bar of your browser. Consult your router's documentation for the administrator's default password, if it has one.

Since it appears that port 6112 is what needs forwarding, find anything that has "Port" or "Forwarding" in the title in whatever menu your router provides through the web administration interface. It will require that you enter at least the last digit (if not all) of your local IP address, which you discovered earlier.

I don't know specifically how to forward ports on your router, but you can find that information either in the documentation or in the help function it might provide. If you can provide a link to the correct documentation, I can find it for you.
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

From the limited research I've done the surfboard is a modem only and not a router. Are you that you have a router?

well i was reading that it will get rid or my nat problems ive already forwarded the ports and all that but im still getting the message

this is what it essentially said

" The Motorola Surfboard cable modem is generally not a problem for port forwarding because it has no "router" functions in it.

However, apparently some ISPs have found a way to "remote configure" these modems to take advantage of a legitimate feature of the modem to BLOCK the ports needed for games and filesharing.

Normally a cable modem should just "pass along" everything that comes in over the cable connection, without modifying anything. But the Surfboard has a feature built-in which will provide "Private IP addresses" to all the computers connected to it if it detects the cable Internet connection has failed, or if the "Offline" button is pressed. This is to allow multiple computers on your local network to operate as a "LAN" without a connection to the Internet. It's a legitimate "safety feature" which most home users will never need. It appears however that the feature can be turned on remotely by reprogramming the modem over the Interenet connection from the ISP. This forces the modem to provide "Private IP addresses" even when connected to the Interent, and this interfers with the modem's ability to pass along the ports without blocking them..."
              http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15351516

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cg...num=1139203595

Comment

From what I've heard the connection problems are due to the new netcode that Relic is testing for Relic Online. Opening ports and disabling firewalls won't make much of a difference.
                The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee. -Ezekiel 25:17

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X