Taking on the mobile army

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking on the mobile army

Ranked matches are always a challenge for me regardless of what faction I play, but lately Iíve been getting spanked by the early deployments of halftracks. Iíll post a replay to illustrate the problem later tonight. I usually pick two points to setup shop, but by the time I build adequate defense, 2/3 of the map is under the enemyís control. If I try to expand early on without adequate defense my units and base structures are subject to the spammed halftracks. Arrggh.

Another strategy that is hard to contend with is the use of Ostwinds combined with snipers and flaming engineers. I had my butt handed to me by a guy who used this tactic last night. Frankly, I was quite impressed with how quick he churned those bad boys out. The snipers and flamers took my guys out in the trenches and the Ostwinds malled anyone trying to escape. My AT guns were relatively in affective with a pair of fast Ostwinds circling to get a shot at the rear. I had to constantly turn my slow moving emplacements to get a shot at them. It was no contest.

The British are too slow to expand and deny resources to prevent the development of a quick mobile group in my opinion. Any thoughts? Counter strategies?

Re: Taking on the mobile army

Vs PE.

On any map other then Ango, use this opening..
    Tommy squad/Bren/LT. Put the un-upgraded tommy squad in the Bren and hammer his Halftracks and Armored Car's with ease and cut down his Kett's keeping fuel about even. DO NOT move your HQ truck until those units come out.

Vs. Wehr

I've had difficulty vs. them as well, although snipers should get insta-owned vs. your marksman ability on your recon squad. Don't bother with more then 1 trench as they just turn into open tomb's. The typical start for Wehr vs. Brit's is at most 2 volks squads and 1 mg, quick tech to T2 for a halftrack/gren squads/mortars then an equally quick tech to T3 to upgrade that halftrack to a flammenwerfer. Fast Stuart isn't really an option vs. the Wehr so go sapper squad first and get a bofor's nest. StuG's and nebels are very powerful vs. the Brit's, so you simply have to find a way to limit his fuel income allowing you to get your armor support truck. Fireflys are the big equalizer for the Brit's vs. Wehr but are very tough to get.

I know those are probably not the answers you wanted, but it's the best I got.

Comment

To expand a little..

Don't dig in vs. PE and let him have 2/3's of the map, that's will almost always give the same result as going afk to smoke a cig early-match. Get the bren gun upgrade on your first unupgraded infantry section. The "button vehicle" ability is excellent to handle that first HalfTrack. Remember, light arms do damage to those early vehicles, just dont loose squads. You don't have to kill it as much as drive it away, you have to be cautious vs. that first HT as your main goal is to not loose the map and buy time for your Bofors/Stuart.. The main structures you should be worrying about are getting up a 3" pit, a trench or maybe 2, then get a Bofors up. Get your captain near your main emplacement's, as he increases their HP's by 50% making them tougher to kill. The rifle grenade upgrade is excellent vs. any infantry, and the rifle smoke is underused.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Panzerschrecks...be weary of them...I think schrecks and bazookas need to be toned down a bit and PIATS buffed. Infantry spam just puts all vehicles to waste...That's been my experience so far since playing OF.

Comment

Excellent advice. One of the disadvantages I had early on as well was not knowing that the Bren Carrier can cap flags if it had infantry or an officer riding in it. How successful have you both been in deploying a 2nd Bren? Is it worth the resources? I tried messing around with this last night by just using the Brens as an early deterant for my opponent's "scouts" and early cappers (i.e. ketts and pioneers). I tried to use them similar to the American 2 jeep early deployment. Problem was that the Bren units are much slower, but the potential was there since I didn't think to put any units on it to cap flags. They were affective at first, but they were difficult to manage not long after the initial 5 min roll out w/o any other units supporting them. More practice w/ this strategy might be worthwile.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeno View Post
            Panzerschrecks...be weary of them...I think schrecks and bazookas need to be toned down a bit and PIATS buffed. Infantry spam just puts all vehicles to waste...That's been my experience so far since playing OF.
            Bren carriers are bad vs. the Wehrmacht, no arguments there. PIATS need no buff, make infantry sections with Bren guns and button your target and the PIATS maul quickly and painlessly (for you at least) Plus PIATS are the only AT weapon that can fire over hedges. I'm not going to get into the vehicle vs. infantry argument but suffice to say I don't completely agree with you.

Originally posted by NorCalRoach View Post
            Excellent advice. One of the disadvantages I had early on as well was not knowing that the Bren Carrier can cap flags if it had infantry or an officer riding in it. How successful have you both been in deploying a 2nd Bren? Is it worth the resources? I tried messing around with this last night by just using the Brens as an early deterant for my opponent's "scouts" and early cappers (i.e. ketts and pioneers). I tried to use them similar to the American 2 jeep early deployment. Problem was that the Bren units are much slower, but the potential was there since I didn't think to put any units on it to cap flags. They were affective at first, but they were difficult to manage not long after the initial 5 min roll out w/o any other units supporting them. More practice w/ this strategy might be worthwile.
            560 manpower and 20 fuel early on is quite a large investment but if they allow you to slow down a PE players fuel intake, give it a shot. I use 2 Bren's when I feel my opponent is going for an Armored Car/Marder3 rush on a large map like Blowlands or wrecked train since the map design makes it difficult for the Brit's to stop the PE from getting a 3:1 fuel advantage. The reason I don't suggest dual Bren's like dual jeeps is the repairing of the Bren's costs 40 munitions early on, unlike the jeeps who basically have free repair.

Comment

check out the replay I have posted near the bottom of the page.. http://www.gamereplays.org/community...owtopic=306330

Shows a decisive victory for Brit's vs. Luftwaffe doctrine and logistik/Panzer support command opening. He rushed Pv4 infantry support tanks and I essentially crushed him. Initial tech of logistiks means someone wants panzer support units which makes them highly vulnerable to churchill's since they have no AT options other then their Pv4 and the At-HT's. Stuart's are garbage vs. Pv4's and die quickly to Anti-tank HalfTracks. Your armored command comes to late to fight off the fast-tech Pv4's so you are boned. Unless you use churchill's from royal engineer's of course.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X