Team games as allies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team games as allies

After a 3v3 last night where Norcal, myself and ImI got wtfpwned as allies, I thought it might be useful to put up a post regarding opening strategies and so forth. It seems anyone who plays Americans in a team game lately only goes with the WSC start, why no love for a barracks opening? While the Brit infantry units admittedly are the strongest early-game, they are also the most expensive and most versitile and slowest moving without being constantly baby-sat.

As a Brit I can bring 2 things to the table early on..

1) dominant infantry and a fairly large presence of said infantry but then nothing in the way of support structures..

2) I can basically supply WSC units via vickers nests/3" pits and counter-sniping ability. Granted they are all immobile but they cost zero fuel to you and allow for more capping power on the field with riflemen.

I got double-teamed multiple times last night and that's a smart play on our opponents part. My units cost the most to reinforce and double-teaming me basically negates my superior infantry via a simple numbers game. On that map (motherme) I think for future reference it's best for the Brit player to start isolated allowing the 2 american players to mix a WSC and a Rax opening like the old days.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Re: Team games as allies

We soooo got owned last night on Monterme. I’ve lost games before, but that game last night left a bad taste in my mouth because of our opponent’s domination on all fronts. They knew what they were doing on that map. I think we got owned in the first 5 mins, the next 5 mins was just play time for them. I’m definitely game to practice some strategies on that map. I haven’t played that map since our TG scrimmage/pick up match a few months ago.

In last night’s game, I was stuck on the south side, separated by Morganan in the middle and IMI-50 on the far north. I tried to go with the old strategy at the start of controlling the southern Victory point with an MG squad providing overwatch and a sniper helping to pick off guys. You veteran CoH players might recall that the old strategy is basically a race in the beginning to control that building. I was successful in getting an engineer there first, but he devised a very effective simple counter to this opening move. Essentially, he let me have the building and waited for my MG squad to come out of my base. Then he rushed in with a motorcycle, an infantry squad, and a pioneer. The motorcycle and pioneer picked off my MG unit as it made its way out of the base, while his infantry squad took up residence in the west wing of the same building as my engineers. The infantry squad pwned my engineers and his motorcycle and pioneers were quick to flank my MG every time I laid it down. I tried to reinforce the MG with an engineer squad, but in the end my MG unit didn’t stand a chance so I retreated and lost ground at the start. After that I was stuck just outside my base.

I think a Weapons Support Center (WSC) start can be effective on certain maps, but you’re right- in retrospect that wasn’t a good first build for that map, especially in that position on the south side. However, starting off with a WSC isn’t a bad option either. Lately, I’ve been successful against the Whermacht and PE in Ranked games starting with a WSC first on maps like Angoville, Wrecked Train, and Langres. The MG and Mortar unit combo can be a hit if these units are supported by infantry immediately after they are deployed. For maps like Semois and Beavaux Low Lands I start with Barracks w/ a jeep and 2 infantry combo to boot, then going straight to Motorpool for the M8’s. On team games, with a british and 2 American squad combo, we should have been more versatile. This is where I’d like more practice on.

My hope is to get a regular group of guys to play and practice as a team to be a competitive as those guys we played against last night. They clearly were experienced in implementing sound maneuvers at the start and worked as a team to take us down.

Comment

I'm not saying a WSC is bad, but with 2 americans going WSC the Brit player with the slow-assed units represented about 50% of a 3 player teams capping power. Then on top of that I got emplacements up instead of making more infantry which in retrospect was a bad idea.

I'm saying we need better synergy then anything else. When we played that 2v2 where we mauled them with artillery I laid out a strategy for you which you executed wonderfully. The idea of that strategy was so we could better mesh units to capture key points. You saw quickly a .30 cal squad, an eng squad and a 3" pit with a recon squad on call if needed could hold off any early push against us.

When you, bob and I played that 3v3 I just tried to back Bob up with repair bunkers/mg's and pio's until I could start fielding T4 armor. Once I did Bob and I pretty much rolled them up.

We had none of that synergy in that game we got hammered on, we need to make sure we keep that.

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
        We had none of that synergy in that game we got hammered on, we need to make sure we keep that.
        I agree 100%. This'll sound a little dirty, but I'm willing to practice more of that synergy if you guys are ;).

Comment

Yeah, I'll practice. And yeah, it was dirty. Good job NorCal, I'll bet your genes have messed your kid up too.:row__593:
          playing off the TG server feels like we're playing 2142 on easy mode~Fehmart

I'm going to close my eyes until it's over~Experiment, commenting on my driving

"Get it up quickly and beat it hard."~Jonan
          I don't get a bonus DVD? My life has lost all meaning.~Zoopy_T

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...