The Last Stand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Stand

For anyone still playing Dawn of War 2, or wanting a reason to come back to it, check out
    community.dawnofwar2.com

They are adding a co-operative multiplayer mode where you take control of either a Space Marine Captain, Eldar Farseer, or Ork Mekboy (in any combination of 3) to take on waves of enemies, in a continue-until-you-die, classic Survival fashion.

You gain equipment and experience to advance your hero over time. Definitely reminds me of Survival mode in L4D or even Horde mode in GoW2, in a way.
    The patch hits this October. Sounds like a good way to play multiplayer for people who don't feel like getting obliterated by a much more skilled opponent due to poor matchmaking.
    "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
    -- Red Forman

Re: The Last Stand

It seems like a lot of fun! Very interesting trailer when I first saw it. I would be up for playing just regular games with everyone here. Do you all have a Steam group or do you just decide to go out and play sometimes?
    sigpic

Comment

Oh my god oh my god oh my god! This just sounds awesome and I will e counting the days away till this baby comes out. I love these types of modes.

Comment

Frankly I still enjoy this game as it is even without the content. To read the official forums you think it was one of the worst games in existence (but I suppose that's generally what official forums seem to be for). But I can win fairly often (I lose more than I win, but I can win so it drives me a bit), and the gameplay is very entertaining. Right now frankly I don't think the balance is that bad, anyway - and I play Nids (primarily) who have been nerfed heavily at this point.

So for me, this mode is just icing on the already tasty cake.
        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
        -- Red Forman

Comment

Along with the last stand a couple of new maps are being released.

Quest’s Heresy (2 Player)

Designed by Stefan Haines, Quest’s Heresy is a 2P map set deep in the Calderis Desert. This imperial mining facility is relatively new but has been exposed to the harsh open desert environment.

Quest’s Heresy is a rather unique 1v1 map with most of its resources set on the interior of the map, separated from the victory points which lay on the outside. A lone neutral power point lies to the far west for relatively safe power expansion, but because it is neutral harassment is almost inevitable. The center of the map is rather open and contains multiple resource points, which means controlling it is important. It is guarded by high walls but if absolutely necessary these can be destroyed to completely open up the map and make assaulting the center easier.
          Hydris Chasm (4 player)
          Hydris Chasm is a 4P map designed by Clint Tasker. Originally it was intended to be a jungle map that had multiple water elements including waterfalls and rivers. The artists had other plans though and decided to stretch the jungle tileset to the max, creating a volcanic theme that doesn’t exist on any other multiplayer map. Needless to say after seeing the final result Clint had no issue with this change in style.

Hydris Chasm has two distinct lanes for each player. On the western side of the map are two VPs that stand close together separated by high cliffs overlooking a chasm that holds a neutral power point. This side is blocked off by choke points on either side which can be flanked through the center of the map. On the eastern side of the map are a series of large land bridges that hold a single VP and the majority of the map’s resources.

At first it may seem that this map simply promotes 1v1 style play on two sides of the map, however, players may quickly discover that flanking through the middle to assist on either side of the map is really important. And that each side of the map lends itself to two distinct styles of play: either VP control or resourcing.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
          So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

I really mostly play 3v3 (it gives the less micro-intensive players a chance to build and actually compete) but those maps do look pretty cool. 1v1 I'm awful, something like 2-15 (I haven't played a ton of that because it quickly gets discouraging, the people play that ranked seem to REALLY know what they're doing.) I might like to try 2v2 sometime though.
            -- Red Forman

Comment

In original dow it was more of build micro than unit one. They've tried to turn it around in dow2 but it is more macro focused now instead of having unit micro (aka how you place your units around battlefield rather than how you play the unit).

I play it occasionally but before the patch I felt it was too single minded, and yeah tyranids were overpowered anyone can admit that ;) (thx to the rippers + ravener mega tunneling). Also the fact that I lost 3 times in multiplayer due the live crashes made me boil abit (besides all the other crap live gave) in-row + those were the last 3 ranked games I played :P
              I like what they did, but I'm looking forward to new races. I still do random non-ranked matches when I got the time.

Comment

Commander Profiles for Last stand have been released

Check them out
                Space Marine http://community.dawnofwar2.com/forums/topic/34002
                Ork http://community.dawnofwar2.com/forums/topic/34030
                Eldar http://community.dawnofwar2.com/forums/topic/34058

Although this shows some wargear I dont think this is all, some of the developer list have different items from the ones shown

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity

Comment

I think I'm most looking forward to the Mekboy, and maybe the Captain. I just can't get into playing Eldar, though I must admit that they do go squish/blow up fantastically.

For reference though, Tyranids haven't been OP for quite some time (well maybe Hormagaunt speed but that's it and THAT's getting nerfed...) They've been hit so hard with the nerf bat it's very sad. GFWL is much more stable for the game these days but it's still not perfect (nor will it ever be).
                  -- Red Forman

Comment

I'm playing now, need 2 more :D

Add me on live Adeptabyss

Comment

Same here, whenever you guys wanna get a round going, toss me a message on Steam.

krunchmastaflex1

Comment

I got my steam back up to work last night and started playing Last Stand and i have to say i enjoyed it very much.
                        Itīs quite some good fun and the gear you can unlock and all that stuff is a good system to keep players to play that IMO.
                        But than again i just started playing it and at the very beginning everything is fun cause itīs new.
                        His capacity for love lost, the man accepts it into his glas of dispair. The Flames of burning anger unquenched, the man keeps drinking... but never gets drunk
                        sigpic

Comment

This mode is very very addicting. I've been playing it with a friend of mine non-stop. Wave 9 is really tough without a well coordinated plan. Can't wait to get some of the bigger death dealing abilities :D!
                          sigpic

Comment

Finally got to play it today, with AdeptAbyss. Very very fun game. Wave 9 is definitely a tough one, I thought I would be safe in the building from those Banshees, but those Shurikan cannons didn't seem too worried :\

Comment

Well if you think 9 is though get to 11 or 12 i donīt know but your fighting a few WRAITHLORDS!
                              10 is also a hard one with all these plasma-shooting marines
                              His capacity for love lost, the man accepts it into his glas of dispair. The Flames of burning anger unquenched, the man keeps drinking... but never gets drunk
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X