Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gates of Hell - Men of War Successor (NOT MODERN)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gates of Hell - Men of War Successor (NOT MODERN)

Wow, this subforum is D-E-D dead!

MoW really aught to have a bigger following here at TG, nothing compares for tactics and realism in an RTS / RTT these days.

Anyway, there is a successor to Men of War in the books. This is not "Call to Arms", "Gates of Hell" is being published by Best Way, creators of the original Faces of War and Men of War, and developed by Barbed Wire Studios which has also hired on some extremely talented modders:

Cule, creator of WWII Chronicles
    Sturm, creator Totalier Krieg
    SirHinkel, creator of godlike single and multiplayer maps for Assault Squad and Assault Squad 2

Long story short, GoH will be doubling down on realism and grit. Picture a cross of the legendary German Soldiers Mod and WWII Chronicles. Units will be more lethal, longer ranged, and more diverse. Terrain will have a bigger impact on unit mobility. Infantry can dig trenches and foxholes while engineers can construct heftier defences. Multiplayer will have a year setting (like GSM), so you can for example, play 1939 Germany vs 1939 Poland with historical equipment.

Perhaps most importantly, they're touting some pretty hefty improvements to the GEM 2 engine, promising individual unit AI that dynamically advances / retreats (unless set to hold position), improved visuals, revamped multiplayer netcode for smoother play, and optimizations focused on allowing much larger scale battles than previous Men of War games.

Can they deliver? I sure hope so. The best place to follow the game right now is via Facebook or Steam.

https://www.facebook.com/gatesofhellgame/
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: Gates of Hell - Men of War Successor (NOT MODERN)

Had no idea this game was in development - totally slipped my radar.

I can't help but be pessimistic though. I followed Assault Squad 2's early access period for a while but eventually lost any interest as it seemed like they were having a lot of technical issues and the game itself was bringing nothing new to the table. In fact it seemed the scale got smaller - reduced ranges and lower player counts in particular. I'm not super into the smaller ranked style play as it becomes more about ego. I mostly enjoyed Men of War for just having big friendly battles with the TG guys here. Call to Arms was a different setting but again appeared slow to develop, small scale and same old gameplay.

Gates of Hell does seem more promising given Best Way is involved and its not just the mainly one man show of Digitalmindsoft. If Best Way can honestly fix the main issues that have hampered that old engine then I will definitely take notice. Larger scale battles without worrying about slowdowns, ping issues or player drops? I want to believe..
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I've actually been pretty impressed with Assault Squad 2. The modding community has fully switched over and made some fantastic content. Granted, I mostly play co-op rather than PvP multiplayer. For the others who don't like PvP, there are now multiplayer bots as well for skirmish modes.

My PvP experience mostly boils down to some 1v1s with friends and watching a ton of Strat29's videos. Strat and others have also created a competitive multiplayer mod aimed at increasing balance between factions and changing the metagame to allow more varied tactics.

They have also - finally - fixed the Out-of-Sync issues with multiplayer. AS2 has also added unit veterancy, which makes keeping your soldiers alive more important. I quite like that improvement.

You are right though, there is not a huge amount of change to the core gameplay that AS2 brings. I do feel that it was a gradual improvement to everything though.

As a sidenote, I actually often feel the opposite about MoW's scale. Modders love to put in huge battles, but the capacity for micromanagement in MoW I feel lends itself more towards smaller groups of soldiers.
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I still play AS2 regularly even though Mantis abandoned me! AS2 micromanagement can be intense. I often find myself preferring the large scale (6+) games as I can focus on armor as a fire brigade, or infantry combat in the urban environments. Having to keep track of combined arms operations even over your little slice is difficult. This also slipped my radar. Will keep an eye on it though.

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

Though I have never gotten into Men of War, I am really glad to hear a new RTS is coming out. Thanks for posting about this.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X