Initial thoughts on campaign

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial thoughts on campaign

Personally I've felt the campaign to be cool but once you get to the latter (mid campaign) levels it feels just repetitive and somewhat tedious. Then again I'm playing in brutal difficulty and some of the levels are just unforgiving and super frustrating :| (imma firing mah laser level). However, up until now I've enjoyed it a lot more than most campaigns for games which in RTS games seem to usually have the cool first couple levels then just devolve into the gameplay you can find by starting up a game vs. AI. I love how Starcraft 2 hasn't done that and I also love how the campaigns always keep you doing things, there is barely any downtime. (Note I haven't finished the campaign yet).

I also must say I love the interaction screens between levels and especially the armoury. They don't add too much to the story but they allow a lot more re-playability and it's kinda funny watching the newscasts :P

Anyone else have opinions?

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Re: Initial thoughts on campaign

I only played through the first few ... I like what I've seen so far and I dig the arcade game.

Comment

I agree, every campaign mission is different. Zombie zerg attacks at night, dying at day? Awesome. Harvesting minerals with rising lava? Really cool. Each mission is so unique and interesting, I already know I'm going back to play them again (especially on harder difficulties). Also each one teaches you a unique skill, either economy or micromanagement, etc. I can really feel my repertoire of SC2 abilities growing, where as playing through SC1 was challenging (maybe because I was so young) but didn't really help me with the multiplayer aspect.

I was afraid that Mercenaries were going to be one time uses, I'm so glad they're always there for each mission once hired. Mercenary marines look especially cool!

Comment

I came to the rather depressing realization that the little arcade game was a great deal more entertaining than the actual game. I was pretty disappointed with the extreme stereotyping that went into the characters. Your marine buddy is a good old boy who advocates extreme force at every opportunity, Tosh sounds Jamaican, has voodoo accessories and makes vaguely occult references.

That being said, I really loved the options for research trees and enhancing my units in the metagame. Also, mercenaries are stupidly overpowered.

The gameplay is awesome though, totally worth it, especially since I don't have to sit through the cringe-inducingly bad dialogue.

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
          Also, mercenaries are stupidly overpowered.
          To be fair, they cost an arm and a leg and once used they're dead for that mission. It really becomes a crux on harder difficulties and helps mid to late game.

The character stereotypes don't bother me that much. Terran have always been kinda like a space western, it kinda just goes with the territory. I enjoyed the arcade game but love the actual gameplay quite more. I wish I had more unit micro management missions than always using a base though.

I also like the split decisions. Choosing between Tosh and She-who-won't-be-named, was a legitimately hard decision, something I agonized over more than any other decision in a video game (I ended up redoing it betraying Tosh). Dialog isn't that bad in my opinion, it's better than your average video game fair but not as good as say Mass Effect. There's a lot of depth to the story line. It's piqued my interest more than multiplayer in that regard.

Comment

Well now that I've finished the game I have to say I loved the first and last parts of the campaign whereas the middle was kind of filler like. I have to say it was insanely challenging to do the campaign on brutal (this coming from a 1v1 platinum player in phase 1 and platinum in phase 2 nearing diamond) during the later stages of the game and the mercenaries were a must. Without those I would've gotten roflstomped by the insane amounts of AI that constantly pour in from every direction.

I do have to say that some of the dialogue felt somewhat less mature but I guess it can fit with the characters since I don't think they are eloquent speakers anyway. The storyline also felt very typical in some stages as you could easily predict what the next lines were or the next turn of events was. I did however thoroughly enjoy the storyline as it is well above the average storyline in modern games (especially FPS games, of which basically have no storyline).

Comment

Finished that game as fast as possible, I just want a feel of the types of missions and the story so I did everything on normal.

Thoughts about this game:
              1) cinematic are well done both movie like and in game graphic. Cinematic voice and render was well thought and executed.
              2) liked the varieties of types of missions
              3) kept all the classical "must have" mechanics
              4) unit renders are good, my graphic setting was ultra
              5) music was suitable, voice acting is not bad
              6) like the arcade game
              7) unit type wise...Good additions but I wished they kept some. its just not the same...
              8) over all story is worthy of making into a show or movie. There was several movie cliches but suitable amount.

Comment

Finished the campaign today. I initially tried it on hard, but gave up on the fourth mission or so (didn't feel like replaying missions five times ;)). Excellent campaign, last mission was extremely easy on normal (sadness!).

Comment

Originally posted by burnaby View Post
                  7) unit type wise...Good additions but I wished they kept some. its just not the same...
                  I'm willing to bet those units will make a return in the expansions or next installments. Think of it this way, they created a ton of Terran only game assets, they simply don't have the same number for zerg or protoss to balance.

Comment

Ok..just finished SP... Wasn't expecting much of a fleshed out story line.. The RTS was typical..resource management stuff.. But the Cut scenes, plot and dialogue were top notch.. They didn't ignor the SP campaign at all here. I was not vested or educated in any past StarCraft Lore..but by the time Raynor was yanking the Dog Tags off of the dead marine toward the end..I was Google'ing to see who that was. and why it seemed to affect him so.. Great stuff.. Would make a great Movie or TV Series (AKA Battlestar Galactica)..

The Game is ok..typical RTS..
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Finished the campaign and ready to give my thoughts. The campaign was solid and you can tell they put in alot of work into it. What I enjoyed most about the campaign was that the majority of missions were not simple build and attack missions. What I mean is they didn't feel like some simple game vs the AI you can play any day of the week. Even the one that were had some little quirks that made them more interesting. I really enjoyed alot of the easter eggs/references to other blizz games and the way the story and lore were shown. I think I am 2 achievements shy of getting all the campiagn achievements (8 hour speed run, and 1 or 2 more misisons on brutal), so I think its pretty fair to say I enjoyed it and played the crap out of it :D.

I don't really see myself playing through the campaign again unless its for the speed run (not much replay value when you have gone through it thoroughly like me). Also liked the extra units in SP to spice things up. Prevented it from getting stale too quick.

As far as difficulty, I did not find any missions difficult, with the exception of the last (I played everything on brutal). I think they could have made many of the brutal missions more difficult for seasoned players but I don't think they wanted to alienate or discourage newer players from taking on the challenge. This could have also been affected by all the upgrades I had purchased between missions since I went through it thoroughly.

Oh, and I wish Lost Viking had more missions :D.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
                        As far as difficulty, I did not find any missions difficult, with the exception of the last (I played everything on brutal).
                        Agreed, most of the missions you can just mass up mmm and 1a your way to victory with minimal micro. Once you figure out the required strategy deviations for some of the levels from mmm it is all really easy. I wish the campaign in brutal was a lot more difficult than just 1a mmm or siege up with planetary. The first play-through is definitely the most enjoyable though.

Also, to all those not enjoying the campaign gameplay, try increasing the difficulty and don't look at any strategy guides, it'll make it a lot more fun :)

Comment

I know I coming in late on this, but has any noticed a frightening similarity between the terran mission music and the television series Firefly?

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                            I know I coming in late on this, but has any noticed a frightening similarity between the terran mission music and the television series Firefly?
                            Western mixed with string tones and a hint of Asian? I agree.

Former TG-21st
                            Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

A Space Western having Western music? Crazy! Firefly wasn't the first either.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X