Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leagues Defined

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leagues Defined

    I like the definitions here of the leagues. The topic of the below forum post wasn't specifically for league definitions but a user had posted below his opinion of the leagues. The definitions are just about spot on accurate.

    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=147045

    Bronze: I hit find match button, what's that do?
    Silver: I know how to select units and make them attack.
    Gold: I have a general idea on how to play an rts game.
    Platinum (not stuck-in-platinum-because-stupid-system-won't-promote-me but actual platinum): I have a loosely followed build order.
    Diamond: Anything above that.

    The original poster posted this definition:

    Bronze: I know what some of the units do.
    Silver: I know what a build order is.
    Gold: I have a build order for most of the matchups.
    Platinum (not stuck-in-platinum-because-stupid-system-won't-promote-me but actual platinum): I have played through my build order more than twenty times.
    Diamond: Anything above that.

    I still believe these are both fairly accurate definitions. Maybe combine the two into this:

    Bronze: I know what some of the units do.
    Silver: I know what a build order is and I know how to select units and make them attack.
    Gold: I have a general idea on how to play an RTS game and know how to use hotkeys.
    Platinum: I have a loosely followed build order that I have played through a several times.
    Diamond: Anything above that.

    This all goes along with my preaching of having a good build order, constantly making units and scouting will get you into diamond. I have seen a lot of diamond players even fail at that. Everyone below diamond should focus on those things alone.

  • #2
    Re: Leagues Defined

    I know what some of the units do.
    I know what a build order is and I know how to select units and make them attack.
    I have a general idea on how to play an RTS game and know how to use hotkeys.
    I have a loosely followed build order that I have played through a several times,
    but I'm in bronze.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Leagues Defined

      Originally posted by Saphric View Post
      I know what some of the units do.
      I know what a build order is and I know how to select units and make them attack.
      I have a general idea on how to play an RTS game and know how to use hotkeys.
      I have a loosely followed build order that I have played through a several times,
      but I'm in bronze.
      Yea, I think this is an over simplification. A huge factor limiting my success is my inability to split my attention between micro and macro without everything falling apart. I've seen some improvement with practice, but the fact remains that my brain just can't keep up.
      Steam Community: | |

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Leagues Defined

        Originally posted by Saphric View Post
        I know what some of the units do.
        I know what a build order is and I know how to select units and make them attack.
        I have a general idea on how to play an RTS game and know how to use hotkeys.
        I have a loosely followed build order that I have played through a several times,
        but I'm in bronze.
        Just stick with it. I had the same issue, and didn't get promoted till my record was like 70-50.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Leagues Defined

          I don't like how Diamond is thought up of as automatically high play. Yes you find a lot of good players there but you find a lot of terrible players there as well. My advice, don't look at the leagues as actual hierarchies. Some of us like to have fun, aren't the best RTS players and simply haven't devoted an entire lifetime to climbing the ranks to Diamond.

          I'm proud of my bronze spot, I wish I could force my 1v1 back down to bronze so I could legitimately climb my way up and learn how to be a better player.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Leagues Defined

            Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
            I don't like how Diamond is thought up of as automatically high play. Yes you find a lot of good players there but you find a lot of terrible players there as well. My advice, don't look at the leagues as actual hierarchies. Some of us like to have fun, aren't the best RTS players and simply haven't devoted an entire lifetime to climbing the ranks to Diamond.

            I'm proud of my bronze spot, I wish I could force my 1v1 back down to bronze so I could legitimately climb my way up and learn how to be a better player.
            Yeah, diamond definitely does not contain high play. Most high play is done with custom games and practice partners. Ladder is a way to waste time. It's a good bet that the guy who is 1100 on the diamond ladder is a good player but there's no telling how he would fare in a tournament. You can do the same strategy over and over again in ladder and make it that high. It doesn't require much skill to get a high placement.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Leagues Defined

              You can have a Diamond ~700 guy whose better then a diamond 1100 guy, simply because the latter only cheeses fast reapers the whole time. I personally would like to see an ELO ranking system like the Age of Empires/Mythology series, then you get a TRUE description of skill. Also, playing RTS games in the past a lot gives a huge benefit to those players, I know many low level (PR ~20, ELO ~ 1620 etc) AoE3 players who simply had good micro/macro which led them to 1000+ diamond. Also, almost every pro from AoE3 (eg in the top 30 ELO with a pr above 43) is currently at least at 1300+ diamond.



              Former TG-21st
              Swift Mobile On Target

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Leagues Defined

                The thing that bothers me most is that once your economy is shot you've lost. RTSs should be about counters, not unstoppable rush to void rays then base harass. I enjoyed watching the play of tournaments and matches between pros because it's amazing back and forth tactics changing. To die to void rays every game is just boring.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Leagues Defined

                  Agreed with Sirus. Thats the biggest issue with ladders. Everyone is just doing the rush up and the units that pretty much win the game every time, and its over 10 minutes later.

                  I would rather have a game last 45 minutes and it be well mixed army's.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Leagues Defined

                    Originally posted by Hellswaters View Post
                    Agreed with Sirus. Thats the biggest issue with ladders. Everyone is just doing the rush up and the units that pretty much win the game every time, and its over 10 minutes later.

                    I would rather have a game last 45 minutes and it be well mixed army's.
                    Yeah the ridiculously short games is one of the reasons I am glad they have 2v2 option in ladders which can help stretch out the match and make it more fun. My most favorite SC2 m match still is the first SC2 Saturday 4v4 with TG :)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Leagues Defined

                      im a macro player, and im still in top diamond, so you dont need to cheese to get to diamond, 90 percent in diamond do NOT cheese, the most cheese is in the plat league, when you get to dimond most cheese is usless bekose the players are to skilled and know how to stop it.

                      summary
                      Platinum= CHEESE
                      Diamond= macro FTW!


                      Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
                      "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

                      Sproge The Crazy Swede

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Leagues Defined

                        I see much more cheese in diamond than I did in platinum. In platinum everyone went a one base macro push style, diamond people are doing proxy gates and void rays and banshees etc.

                        I think if I get up to 800-1000 I'll start seeing some more defensive expansion styles.. around 600 its just lame games. I just keep losing to toss I'm thinking of giving Cluck's build a try.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Leagues Defined

                          Originally posted by Fzero View Post
                          I see much more cheese in diamond than I did in platinum. In platinum everyone went a one base macro push style, diamond people are doing proxy gates and void rays and banshees etc.

                          I think if I get up to 800-1000 I'll start seeing some more defensive expansion styles.. around 600 its just lame games. I just keep losing to toss I'm thinking of giving Cluck's build a try.
                          ????????????
                          i havent got cheesed a single time sense i got into dimond, but i could not play a SINGLE game in plat that i was not bunker-rushed/proxid/8 pool.....


                          Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
                          "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

                          Sproge The Crazy Swede

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Leagues Defined

                            Mmmm cheese....yummy :D

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Leagues Defined

                              I dunno I had a hard time in ladder games until I set upon the idea of purposely going for a cheese tactic. Turtling up with towers, rushing to void rays and carriers. Insta win button. Sorry but as an RTS I feel like multiplayer is letting me down. I enjoy games among friends where tactics are much more fun due to an invisible honor rule.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X