• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shogun Total War

Who is going to get into STW?

I downloaded the demo. It looks fun.
    sigpic

Re: Shogun Total War

Liked the demo. But I'm strapped for cash at the moment. I might get it a bit later

Comment

Demo looks cool, but I don't think I'm going to pay full price for STW.
      I may wait awhile. Its new, its cool, buts its just not different enough to warrant full price.

|

Comment

Downloading as we speak
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
          Liked the demo. But I'm strapped for cash at the moment. I might get it a bit later
          This.

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Im loving it so far. Little things irritate me, but Im sure it's because Im a newb at it.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

While I would love to pick up Shogun 2 and continue my unbeaten run of games against TG members at TW games (you know who you all are!) I just am not feeling it. I always felt that Japan was a weak setting if that makes sense. That being said, I did like some of the work they done in the demo, particularly the new map screen, really enjoyed that. But after the FIASCO that was Creative Assemble buggering up both ETW and NTW at release, I certainly won't get it at release, and may not get it at all. Once you get into gunpowder, you don't want to go back......

In fact, it would take me a while to get back up to scratch in my melee skills. Having played EVERY TW game there is, I think in many respects the game is going backwards, it definately is in my level of respect for the developer. I feel that CA have, while attempting to implement new features, have also gotten away with many crimes. Broken features, buggy games, buggy AI, failing game saves, broken MP. To money driven by Sega now.

/rant off. :)

Comment

Indeed, it is a pretty good game, I'm not a huge fan of parts of the UI, the AI kicks my ass repeatedly despite my best efforts and multiplayer doesn't seem to always connect properly for some reason but singleplayer is as fun as ever

Comment

Finding the game easy right now, but at the start, you're all over the place and everything seems a bit confusing. As time progresses though, and you get used to the new interface as well as the new concepts STW:2 offers, I'm sure you'll all love it. I Do! :D

CAT

---------“In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.”---------

Comment

Indeed, I've been playing for a good few hours now and have discovered several flaws in the AI playing on the Medium/normal difficulty, it may just be difficulty easing but they don't seem to take charging bonuses for running downhill into account, or when they seemingly do, although I suspect purely due to the units original positioning in comparison to mine, they neglect to notice that it's a wall of Yari.

Also I've been able to pull off crazy victories purely by routing the AI effectively where as the AI doesn't seem to do much towards routing my armies en masse.

Case in point - I played a battle earlier, I had been at war with an AI for a while, when they sneakied a large force into one of my vassals provinces and took the fort there with an overwhelming force, approx 3000+ units. As their kind overlord I sent an army in to block the path to their final province, however did not actively seek a battle as I was kicking about with around 1,200 units, mostly Ashigaru peasants I had scrambled from nearby provinces in a hurry.

So, the enemy came at me with all of their force in a battle that saw half of the force attack firstly whilst the other followed shortly after. I was fairly doomed I thought, so setup my yari into a spear wall, put the archers front and set them to skirmish mode, three units of cavalry on the left flank ready to push into any breaches in their line.

So, there were a lot of Yari Samurai coming at me. In a big ass wall. They also charged my cavalry simultaneously whilst engaging my front line of yari, thereby rendering me unable to reassign / move / counter the AIs assault. I was indeed doomed. Until! My Cavalry manage to beat off the AI's, allowing me a shot in at their back line of archers, luckily enough as his yari were engaged I managed to cause heavy casualties quickly, causing them to waver. My front line was holding but loosing slowly, having lost over half my force by this point, but as soon as the archers started routing I pushed hard onto them with my cavalry, and since the back is unsecured and their mates are taking heavy losses the samurai assault wavered and when I turned a cavalry unit back onto them broke and ran for it. The AI had simply engaged too much of his force at once and left nothing in reserve, thereby allowing me to wipe the floor with his archers. I got lucky with the cavalry coming out alive, sure. With heavy losses though, which meant I had to face the remaining 1 and a half thousand units with very tired, demoralised and shredded units.

Now I thought I really had it. So I formed a line again, took advantage of a choke point in the lands geography (A Narrow pass between steep hills) and put the remainders of my Date special two handed sword infantry (Dai-Something samurai). Plan was to use their superior charge power to break the enemy charge, bust through with the remainder of my cavalry and cause as much damage to their backline as possible, hoping the next fight will be easier due to this.

So They charged, and I returned the charge as planned, breaking their original charge with the overwhelming power of my Dai-sword samurai, the Yari and Katana troops followed after, creating a line and engaging the enemy. At this point several of my units really started wavering, white flag flashing and screaming that the battle was lost. But the enemy back line does nothing. If the AI had put more pressure in or refocused archers to attack my line it would have been over. Instead the AI gave me time enough to wait for a weakness in his line for my cavalry to break through and once again rout the army via crippling its back line and destroying the morale of the front.

This seems to work every time, just wait til the AI either does nothing or over commits itself, then push through with cavalry / flank with cavalry, take out the archers then start laughing. Seriously, is it not common sense to secure flanks or at least leave a unit of yari/pikemen back in case of ohnoes? Other than that I haven't seen anything the AI totally failed on imo.

It's just too easy once you learn its flaws really, particularly this one. It's impossible not to take advantage of either... It's just good tactics.

Comment

That was a good read Jacezz.
                      I just spent last night on TS talking to my IHS mates about the TW series and its battle AI.
                      Depressing to hear the AI remains borked, cuz I love the series of games.
                      I guess I'll wait for the price to come down and also maybe an AI mod for sure after reading this.
                      Thanks again Jacezz.

|

Comment

I feel like the AI was at its best in MTW 1, the British expansion, and Rome TW.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                          I feel like the AI was at its best in MTW 1, the British expansion, and Rome TW.
                          Those were epic good times - the earlier versions.

I'm torn about getting this - just not sure yet. Like you said I've played all the other versions, but maybe I'll be waiting just a bit to see the price drop.
                          |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X