Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shacktac Movement - Best thing since sliced bread?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shacktac Movement - Best thing since sliced bread?

I have to say that this modification released by Shack Tactical is probably the most important MOD to be released for ArmA2, possibly more important the ACE 2.

The reason I say this is because for the longest time people have criticized ArmA2 and how clunky the game is in terms of movement and how bad the CQB is in this game. It's meant to be realistic but it always felt like so much was keeping it from being realistic and also playable and smooth. I recently made a post talking about moving around in tight passageway's and getting stuck on walls, stair rails, and doors but that has all been fixed.

Shack Tactical has made a serious impact to how the game play's from this day forward and should possibly take over for future game development with ArmA2.

Below is the video created to show it off but you really need to download this and try it out. The video will not do it justice until you try this out. The way the game play's will never be the same and no longer will AI or actual player's get the best of you as you enter a room.

I feel like this will allow mission makers to move forward and move mission's from the great outdoors to indoors and stop making missions that involve open field engagements. This will take the level of training and immersion to a whole new level. For me it's actually a revival to the game and for those that don't really play because of the flaws with the game. For me it's not about graphics or new unit types but rather putting in a full clip and being able to do anything to get the job done. I want to be able to flash bang a room and make a smooth entrance instead of cursing and yelling I can't go through because my gun's stuck. No one should ever have to yell "back up!" to the team as you tried to enter a room. If there is a MOD of the year award for 2010 this should be a contender. It's small in size but massive in content.

What else could the group possibly release to make this game even better? They already gave us the Squad HUD and now this. Keep it coming guys, the community is really appreciating it.

I can say that it's apparent that Shack Tactical is not taking a page out of the Bohemia book.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12540

Last edited by viper1986; 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM.
    FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Re: Shacktac Movement - Best thing since sliced bread?

Its good but im not a fan of how it accomplishes the effect.

Would prefer either not being able to walk to close to things or if the weapon raised lowered automatically.
    Nihility

Comment

No I agree with you Soupy but it does make a great improvement on the clunky nature of the game.

Spartan 4

Comment

did he actually walk through a door sideways!
        |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

The second may or may not be a big deal, depending on how you move around in ArmA2. There is a combination of keys in A2 that, for reasons unknown, triggers you into a several-second-long evasive-sideways animation. Personally, this used to get me in trouble (or killed) frequently. The st_evasive addon simply removes this animation from the player's movement system, preventing any key combination from accidentally triggering it.
          Shacktac, my heroes.

As for the other part of the addon... well, it doesn't really look nice visually, but it makes the movement a lot more fluid. I imagine in reality you would move the weapon out of the way and bring it to bear when you go aroound a corner, but you can't really emulate that as far as I know without doing some really insane stuff. There was another game that had weapon collisions with the environment and it looked like it was done well for the most part, but you'd need to change the way the game engine works in order to get that effect.

Red Orchestra: HOS for example has the weapon collision, but your character automatically points his gun in other directions if he can't poke it through a wall.

<Edit: speaking of Red orchestra, I wish that when you deployed a bipod your movement would be based around the bipod's center of gravity rather than the character's, similar to RO:HOS>

Anyways, is this a clientside mod? I'll check it out.

Comment

Yes is this a clientside mod I can run without problems? I think it looks like a great improvement.

Comment

It's clientside.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost....8&postcount=44

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Have been having some issues with clients partially submerged into the ground later since installing this, not certain if it is current ace or related to this addon -- Will do further testing.
                The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Originally posted by Impulse 9 View Post
                  Have been having some issues with clients partially submerged into the ground later since installing this, not certain if it is current ace or related to this addon -- Will do further testing.
                  I've never seen this, and we've been running it for.. awhile. That's not to say that the absolute latest ACE couldn't conflict (we're not on it yet), but I would be skeptical of that.

As to the praise of it, earlier in the thread - glad you guys like it. :)

Comment

The half submerged thing is a Yoma related issue - when booting the game via it you get a tonne of problems currently. Launching from
                    A shortcut with modline fixes the issue. Not sure why it's happening

Comment

I had that problem being stuck half in the ground with a "No Entry bin\bin.cfg.Skeleton" or something close to that. From what I've been reading, it may be an issue with the latest beta patch and ace. I uninstalled the beta patch and so far, so good... though I haven't tested all that much.

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

As I said, it could be related to things that have happened this week. Will test further with current beta (which is known to be bad) and current ACE. So far I have been unable to replicate with current ace and ST movement/collision code.
                        The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

I had everyone stuck in the floor yesterday.

I have ACE v. 423, run from a Shortcut, not YOMA, and have not touched the ST movement/collision mod yet. I haven't had this problem until yesterday, and I updated ACE a few days ago.
                          My bet would be ACE. I haven't tried again today, so I'll have to see if a restart has fixed the problem.

The ST movement/collision mod looks good. While I'm sure all (most?) of us would prefer to have a system that lowers and readies the weapon for us, and doesn't cause the player to completely stop all other animations to do so, this is a good fix in the meantime that opens up some possibilities.

Comment

The latest beta patch is the 1.55 one right? If you delete the beta folder and install the beta patch before that maybe it would work? I played at the PCgamer event yesterday with this addon for a few hours and had no problem with the second most up-to-date patch.

Then again, i don't even think you can join any pre- 1.55 servers with the newest beta patch.

Comment

I didn't notice any issues with the mod Playing on the bravo server. Tarmpaket and I played some domi and really appreciated that you can run in and out of buildings with no issues at all as we really needed that. I have not experienced being stuck in the ground so can't chime in on that. Also used this during yesterday's TG event and again had no issues and that was without ACE.

Spartan 4

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X