The Bedrock of Mature Gaming...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bedrock of Mature Gaming...

I don't play Arma that often anymore..mostly becasue of it's huge time sink factor..and getting things configured ... But I do know that after going though Medal of Honor and Black Ops.. ARMA is so much more of a REAL TG games it's almost sacrilege that those are even allowed to be mentioned on TG. They are Console games and really belong in the console section.

It's nice just to check into the ARMA forums and see post regarding Squad movements and not something about some Powerup or level reward...
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: The Bedrock of Mature Gaming...

I like the way you think. ^_^

Comment

Ii feel you. I think when it comes to this game, it leaves a lot to be desired on other titles.....I know dragon rising tried to take the CoD experience to a smaller level of Arma and was for the most part unsuccessful b/c of the developer or should I say the company director butting in and giving out a product that wasn't even fit for PC, shame because it really had a bunch of potential.

I think titles need to take a hard look at how BI is doing things. I know i have not played their titles as long as some, but from what I Gather they listen to the communities that host their game and it turns out hat the that leads to netter sales and more thriving online communities.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

My friend was content, sort of, playing Military Shooter of Honorific Duty Whatever... and I showed him Red orchestra and he was forever spoiled.

He played Company of Heroes, I showed him Men of War, and now he's spoiled.

That's pretty much how you feel. Once you play a game like this it's hard to go back to the other games feeling like they're missing something big.

...or something like that...

EDIT: The biggest problem with TG I believe is how difficult it is to get into, even with people helping you and such. If you don't know how addon folders and YOMA etc. works you aren't going to know what the hell is going on.

Comment

OzyTheSage - something that I think a lot of people forget is that it's perfectly possible to have good quality tactical play with just vanilla ArmA2/OA. Without taking anything away from the work of developer teams begind mods and applications like ACE2, ACRE, Yoma etc., it's sad to think that many players regard those things as the cost of entry for playing ArmA2/OA. The right people, with the right attitude, playing the right mission - those aspects matter far more than the precise set of addons, or whether any addons are involved at all. Folk (which is 100% vanilla) has been donating its missions to TG for a while now, and I know other mission developers are still making good quality content in the vanilla space - I believe TG's Alpha server hosts a lot of this now, so don't be afraid to get involved without installing Gbs of addons first ;)

Comment

Fer: But as far as I know the TG server uses ACE, right? So....

I am not saying that I don't know how to install the addons etc. I'm mainly saying that my friend can't be bothered to go through all of that.

He doesn't have OA anyways, so it doesn't matter too much.

I don't think I've seen anyone on Alpha server... how come it doesn't show up in a YOMA search?

Comment

Ozy: Your assumption is incorrect. Alpha server is Vanilla and that's it. It has no mod's to speak of but the problem is that it is not publicized like the ACE server which has all the mods and stuff.
              FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Don't use AddonSync for anything other than patching as it is a *long list of expletives*
                The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

OzyTheSage - as the admins say, Alpha is there and it's vanilla, and I know at least 12+ folk missions are already on it, as well as loads more from other sources and writers. You might surprised at the number of people (including some seriously long-serving members of the OFP/ArmA community) who have developed a taste for the low friction delights of vanilla! Hopefully you can tempt your friend.

Comment

I have never been a fan of a Huge game experience.. I mean.. It's neat to be able to host 50+ real humans.. but that's a logistic nightmare. I really like the less then 10-13 folks (or 2-3 fire teams) COOP missions. They are doable.. Heck even Small 4-5 man fire team coop is very tight and tactical. Once it gets too big..It's just a big waiting game.
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I want the alpha server to show up in Yoma because then I can see who's playing on the server without actually being in the server or starting the game up.

I just manually added the I.P. address so now I can see the server.

As for my friend, I kinda doubt it... maybe if OA went on sale or something.

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                        I don't play Arma that often anymore..mostly becasue of it's huge time sink factor..and getting things configured ... But I do know that after going though Medal of Honor and Black Ops.. ARMA is so much more of a REAL TG games it's almost sacrilege that those are even allowed to be mentioned on TG. They are Console games and really belong in the console section.

It's nice just to check into the ARMA forums and see post regarding Squad movements and not something about some Powerup or level reward...
                        This is how I feel, which led me to pass on BO, MOH, MW2, and regret I ever bought BC2. I'm not interested in perks, unlocks, badges, pins or medals. (I've got enough of them from 2142 anyways) I want teamwork and tactics.

Before anyone flames me for the preceding statement, I understand the aforementioned titles aren't necessarily anti-teamwork and tactics and can be played in such a manner if you really try, but they sure as hell don't promote it IMO based on what I've seen in videos.

So I just purchased both Arma2 and OA and have read the SOP sticky, but like PR, Arma at TG seems a bit intimidating to dive into head first or even to get your feet wet. Anyone here willing to take a newbie under their wing and show him the ropes?

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                          So I just purchased both Arma2 and OA and have read the SOP sticky, but like PR, Arma at TG seems a bit intimidating to dive into head first or even to get your feet wet. Anyone here willing to take a newbie under their wing and show him the ropes?
                          Ask around people on the server, there's guaranteed to be at least one person willing to help you out. The teamspeak server usually has people on it as well.

Comment

Lots of people have been helping me out on the TS server as I only got the game a few months ago now. I'm always willing to help out with anything i can. I just have nothing that resembles a regular schedule...start asking questions & if it's getting in the way of the mission you may be asked to switch channels...no big wup to do that for a few minutes now & then.
                            |TG-189th| Unkl
                            ArmA 3 Game Officer
                            Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                            189th Infantry Brigade Member
                            SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                            "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X