THinking of picking up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THinking of picking up

I love BF2/PR but am looking for something new. I'm probably going to pick this game up but I was wondering something. Does it play like PR where its two teams made of actual players going against each other or is it a team of real people completing a mission against AI? I've tried researching this but cant really seem to get a clear picture of the game. Thanks

Re: THinking of picking up

It all depends on which mission you pick. A lot of the missions picked on the server are Co-op, but TvT (team versus team) is not unheard of.

I really don't know how to explain it to anyone who has not played the franchise before.

Comment

Hi Doro, As Ozy said, it depends on the mission. ArmA2 has a built in mission editor tool in which people are able to create scenarios. The Mission maker then submits their scenario to us and we put it on the server, while on the server we choose from a pool of available missions dependent on player size and what sort of mission people want to play. While COOP against bots is primarily played, there is still an occasional Team Vs Team game.
      Although, COOP is not bad, its more tactical and focused on taking your time whilst TvT is more focused on moving quickly. Both can be quite fun and play out differently.

Also, Project reality mod is currently in development for ArmA2 so IMO this game is worth picking up.
      |TG-73rd|Socomseal
      |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

well i guess what concerns me about human vs AI missions is doesnt it get boring? I mean does the missions play out the same pretty much each time? Is the AI good?

Comment

The AI is not scripted, they will never do the same thing twice. The AI is also some of the best in any video game, they act fairly human like.
          |TG-73rd|Socomseal
          |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Trust me its more immersive than anything else out there. Plus the game is adaptable to your system, don't like the sounds get a sound mod, got a new rig, up the graphics. Unlike every other FPS out there in Arma you don't get killed by exploits or someone having a better gun, you get dead because you didn't think, didn't have covering fire, didn't move tactically etc.

Honestly TG has a fantastic Arma group who will help you get started, this game has so much depth and realism. It's not a replacement for PR or any other 'game', it's a whole other ball game.

Don't dismiss playing against bots. Player vs player is great but it doesn't mean you get great tactics. (Believe me I have spent 4 years (in PR) trying to teach suppressive fire and maneuver!) What you get due to human nature is 'expediency', so if there is a non-realistic way of getting the better of someone that is what the majority will do. This is the key difference for me, a long, long time PR player, SL and PR admin. This game has no easy "get this gun, go here" path. You need to think tactically and play realistically, otherwise you will get "owned" and it will be a bot lol.

Comment

Cool thanks for the input. WICKENs, I think you convinced me in grabbing this. Being a real infantryman I really want something thats pretty realistic.....No get this gun and take this path = win is exactly what I'm looking for.

Comment

You know it's good here, when we've been in PC Gamer Magazine.

Comment

ARMA2 is more of an infantry simulator than a typical shooter (wish the armor simulation was better though)

While you say the bots are good, you can see they have some pretty glaring flaws... such as driving, or sometimes even flying (they used to just crash into trees and hills, which I think has been fixed for the most part).

Also, it seems a tactic I've seen a lot (against AI) is 'get a gun with a scope and sit on a hilltop' which works many times because the scenario editor 9the person that actually created the mission) usually doesn't give the enemy AI very many scoped weapons, or poorer accuracy, meaning the players doesn't get too much return fire. It's unfortunate because the AI that should be defending a town, for example, will leave their nicely fortified positions and go try to hunt you down... which is a shame. I'm really hoping for either more AI improvements in the future, or for a script to tell the AI to react to '20 people on a hilltop sniping' properly. (Some mission makers like to have artillery scripts where if you stay in a particular area then the AI will start shelling your position)

I haven't been playing much recently, so I don't know if guys here still use that tactic.

Aside from that, it isn't easy programming an AI to be good especially in a game like this...

Keep in mind Co-op is still my favorite =) TvT is extremely stressful for me.

Comment

Well the thing about the tactic of sitting on a hill and sniping is that generally missions are decided so that the AI will drop to the floor or run around. It the past mission makers have added the feature of supported arty or morter strikes for attacking units. Yes if a mission maker does not provide this then you can easily exploit this tactic. The same goes for missions where the mission maker has placed a attack helicopter but did not put any AAA or RPG soldiers at the target site. If you put those items then the use of the attack chopper get's tricky and you have to destroy the AAA before air support can come and help. There are severe flaws with the mission but like all missions, it's how they are made that can fix flaws or exploit them.

Co-op was great for the longest time but with the limited taste I had of ArmA2:PR I can tell you that TvT will be great and exciting. Plus, who feel's good about being taken out by a robot over a human. That's like being in a mustang and getting passed by Smart Car.
                    FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
                      (...)the limited taste I had of ArmA2:PR I can tell you that TvT will be great and exciting.(...)
                      So there is where you have been hiding viper. You and those fancy FOB's and Rally Points :p
                      sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...